Printing a .GIF file in AP?

Post by qs.. » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi Group,
Maybe I'm missing something obvious (in that case please excuse me).

I need to print a scanned image off a Pick system (without buying a
lot of hardware).  So I thought I'd scan it into a PC first but then
how would I print a .GIF or .TIF or .BMP etc. file off of an A/P
system?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Printing a .GIF file in AP?

Post by Martin Taylo » Sat, 23 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi Group,
>Maybe I'm missing something obvious (in that case please excuse me).

This is a decidedly non-trivial inquiry.

Quote:

>I need to print a scanned image off a Pick system (without buying a
>lot of hardware).  So I thought I'd scan it into a PC first but then
>how would I print a .GIF or .TIF or .BMP etc. file off of an A/P
>system?

We have covered non-compressed tif files. If you know the width in
inches, it is possible to work out the number of bytes for each raster
line. We estimate 75 bytes for a 2 inch wide image.

Import the image with the (x option into an AP NAT system.

Ha..... now I get the chance. There is no way to do this on a ap/SCO
system that I know of. The first CTRL-Z is the end of the file.

Ola.... Pick Systems!..... I want to do this!!!

Write a program to convert the image raster by raster into a multi-
attribute item which includes on each line the HP PCL5 code to print a
raster graphic then the ASCII code from each pair of hexadecimal bytes
that you have imported.

Write a subroutine to read the resulting item and bang it out to the
printer line by line. This will work with a little fiddling and with
experience you can even clean up the scanned image.

Martin Taylor (Author of "Pick for Users" and half of "Unix and Unidata")
Datamatters Ltd         http://www.dmatters.co.uk
13 Market Place, Heywood, Lancashire, UK

Printing a .GIF file in AP?

Post by Shaunfiel » Sun, 24 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Hi Group,
> Maybe I'm missing something obvious (in that case please excuse me).

> I need to print a scanned image off a Pick system (without buying a
> lot of hardware).  So I thought I'd scan it into a PC first but then
> how would I print a .GIF or .TIF or .BMP etc. file off of an A/P
> system?

> Thanks in advance,
> Jeff

Specify a LaserJet printer, but print the image to a file.  You will want
to null the formfeed character at the end of the generated file.  Then
import into Pick in hex by using the (x option and store as an item.  To
print it, read the item and print it using an output conversion of 'my'.

Yes, storing the image in hex will take up twice as much disk space, but
you have already saved *far more* disk space with Pick's variable length
data.

George Shaunfield
AccounTron
Houston, TX

Printing a .GIF file in AP?

Post by Mark Chapma » Sun, 24 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Write a program to convert the image raster by raster into a multi-
>attribute item which includes on each line the HP PCL5 code to print a
>raster graphic then the ASCII code from each pair of hexadecimal bytes
>that you have imported.

I wrote a program to do this (I can't remember what version of PCL it
was for) and uploaded it to the pick ftp site.  I don't know whether it
is still there (or whether they ever put it in there).  Nor can I
remember what it was called, but I can remember what a * it was to
write it.

Another thing that I remember was that just after I finished it a
posting to this user group gave a _much_ neater solution involving two
OCONVs.  From memory one imported and stored the file as hex (avoiding
255s) and then other allows you to print any character (including 255s).
This allows you to print your picture to file, import the file to AP and
print it out through the spooler.
--
Mark Chapman    |  Short disclaimer:  My views only, not those of W.W.S.
W.W.S. Limited  |