Progress 8.2 OLE with Word97

Post by Tiboldi Kalma » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'm using Progress 8.2 COM commands to fill Word97
documents like invoices and inquiries. Documents
are filled in a right way but it takes several
minutes to fill a single page with informations.
Using normal output it takes max. 3 s to print
out the same document.
  Is there a problem  with OLE using Word with Progress ?
             Thanks for your help

--
 * Tiboldi Kalman       * TVH Forklift Parts * Tel: +3256434295 *

 * URL   : www.tvh.be   *      8560 Gullegem , Belgium          *

Progress 8.2 OLE with Word97

Post by Geoff Crawfo » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>I'm using Progress 8.2 COM commands to fill Word97
>documents like invoices and inquiries. Documents
>are filled in a right way but it takes several
>minutes to fill a single page with informations.
>Using normal output it takes max. 3 s to print
>out the same document.
>  Is there a problem  with OLE using Word with Progress ?

Not by itself.  What else do you have open at the same time?
How much memory does the PC have?  Nothing will slow
things down like having the PC swap.  Are you correctly
releasing the COM Object?  If not memory leaks happen.

Progress 8.2 OLE with Word97

Post by William Wyatt-Low » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm using Progress 8.2 COM commands to fill Word97
>documents like invoices and inquiries. Documents
>are filled in a right way but it takes several
>minutes to fill a single page with informations.
>Using normal output it takes max. 3 s to print
>out the same document.
>  Is there a problem  with OLE using Word with Progress ?
>             Thanks for your help

I find it much faster to save my Word documents in .RTF format,
containing placeholders. Then I read the .RTF file into Progress (it is
just ASCII with a few oddities I can get around) and replace the
placeholders with the required strings. Then I initiate Word just to
print the resulting .RTF file which I have written in Progress.

HTH
William

William Wyatt-Lowe         Phone:  +44(0)1442 247372
7 East Street              Fax:    +44(0)1442 264447

HP2 5BN    UK              Tailored Business Solutions
If it ain't broke - don't fix it