Cognos VB Script: problem to get all dimension & categories.

Cognos VB Script: problem to get all dimension & categories.

Post by gopher » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 10:29:17

Dear folks,
  I am new to Cognos. I am trying to retrieve all dimensions and sequent
  categories from Cognos cube using VB Macro, and then generate an XML
  formatted document for further purpose. But I meet a problem. See into
  "C:\Cognos\cer1\samples\PowerPlay\Cubes and Reports\Great
  Outdoors.mdc" as an example, it contains following hierarchy:

/Years
  //1997
    ///1997 Q1
       ////1997/Jan
       ////1997/Feb
       ####1997/Mar
    ///1997 Q2
   ... ...
  //Relative Time
    ///Last month, each quarter GROUP
       ////Last 1 Months, Prior 3 Quarters
          *****1997/Mar
       ////Last 1 Months, Prior 3 Quarters

I write a nested loop, using "change" method to walk through different
levels, my route "seems" to work without time dimension.  When it walks
into "####1997/Mar" under "///1997 Q1" using VB script
change("1997/Mar"), it will return to "///1997 Q2", but later when it
walks into "*****1997/Mar", the follwing script:
    change("1997/Mar")
doesn't enter "*****1997/Mar", but  "####1997/Mar" instead. This mean my
nested loop will be dead cycly, and never reaches  "////Last 1 Months,
Prior 3 Quarters". How to resolve this problem, or I should not use
"change" method? Then how can I retrieve the whole dimensions and
categories?

1. Cognos & MS OLAP Services - large dimension

We're using Powerplay Enterprise Server 6.6 & OLAP Services 7.0 sp2. One of
our dimensions has 113,000 leaf rows, but performs particularly badly & uses
masses of memory on the web server when i drill through the hierarchy. It
even times out when i try to move 'down a level' to the leaf nodes. The
situation is markedly better when i use it in a fairly small cube, but it
still fails when i try to move 'down a level'.

Has anybody tried using larger dimensions than this & what sort of issues
did they face? Any tips on how i can overcome the problems & what i should
try to avoid?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Weaver

2. FORT WORTH -- Programmer/Analyst-BUSINESS

3. stuff 5/7

4. vfp6 sp4: file does not exist

5. How to create YTD Categories in MS-AS like Cognos

6. Paradox tables and multi-users

7. Power prompts VS Cognos/VB script

8. Cognos Transformer Category Automation

9. Categories counts with Cognos Transformer 6.5

10. Creating YTD, YTD Grouped Categories like Cognos in MS-Analysis Services

11. Set Datasource of an Dimension - VB-Script/JScript