Revelation G.2 tech info

Post by MORGAN MARK DOUG » Thu, 08 Jul 1993 06:24:00

Here's another one of those "real" questions that was bound to
pop up sometime.  Actually it is rather a request for technical
information on programming in Rev G  (PC environment 80x86, MSDOS).

   Anyone have "e-mail"able or "ftp"able docs/info/progs
   on any of the following:

     * R/BASIC disassembler (actually, "un"compiler)

     * Writing assembly lang VERBS.  There seems to be some
       magical entry/exit code surrounding code originally
       written in assembler (or C).

     * Using EMS/XMS.  I heard Rev G does not support this,
       but figured there could be some creative partial solutions.

     * "The" hashing function.  (can't hurt to ask)

Thanks for any info,

Mark Morgan

Revelation G.2 tech info

Post by some.. » Thu, 08 Jul 1993 07:54:33

Quote:

>Here's another one of those "real" questions that was bound to
>pop up sometime.  Actually it is rather a request for technical
>information on programming in Rev G  (PC environment 80x86, MSDOS).

>   Anyone have "e-mail"able or "ftp"able docs/info/progs
>   on any of the following:
>     * Writing assembly lang VERBS.  There seems to be some
>       magical entry/exit code surrounding code originally
>       written in assembler (or C).

Get the official "Assembly Language Interface 2.0" from Revelation
Technologies.  (1-800-262-4747)

Quote:>     * Using EMS/XMS.  I heard Rev G does not support this,
>       but figured there could be some creative partial solutions.

Rev G doesn't Advanced Revelation (v1.15 and up) does.

Quote:>     * "The" hashing function.  (can't hurt to ask)

Unless you go blue in the face...  :)

>Thanks for any info,

>Mark Morgan

Scott Johnson

Revelation G.2 tech info

Post by Brian Kant » Fri, 09 Jul 1993 07:38:57

Quote:>     * R/BASIC disassembler (actually, "un"compiler)

I wrote one about 18 years ago.  As I recall, it was trivial, as each
character represented an opcode in a simple stack-based P-machine.
I faintly remember some difficulties with common storage in the
string pool.  It's probably changed since then.

Quote:>     * Writing assembly lang VERBS.  There seems to be some
>       magical entry/exit code surrounding code originally
>       written in assembler (or C).

In the Reality system, the verb parameters were simply the frame number
and entry point of the assembly code.  The hardest part was making sure
that of the (then) 512 frames in which you could store your code, you
didn't stomp on one that was already in use.  You had to fiddle the
parameter pointers and such on entry and exit.  The old manuals had
explicit examples and sample code in them.  Probably you can buy one
even today.

Quote:>     * "The" hashing function.  (can't hurt to ask)

As I recall, it used to be a simple progressive XOR of the item-id.
Pretty crude, but reasonably effective.  Around 1976 sometime, it was
changed, necessitating rehashing of all the files.  I think I remember
that Generation Research's Pick file sizing tool knew the algorithm so
it could make trial analyses of different primary space allocations.

In fact, early Reality system tapes had an undocumented file on
the end that had the assembly source for a lot of things, including the
hash algorithm.  Maybe you can find someone who has one of those and
grab the hash function off there, if the tape is still readable after
all these years.  (I've been doing Unix for the last 15 years, and I
simply don't remember much Pick any more.)
        - Brian

1. Wanted: Info on Revelation NLM

We run Advanced Revelation 2.12, and are looking for info on the new
Revelation NLM.

Please either relate your knowledge/experiences (preferably in e-mail) or
point me somewhere I can find more info.

Thanx!

2. Thread in SQL

3. Advanced Revelation : Info request

4. Using a declared variable is slow! Help?

5. to bill seeking Revelation Info

6. Help constructing relational dB for geneology dB.

7. Revelation/Advanced Revelation

8. Q: data dictionary - tech info?

9. Looking for tech info on xBase formats

10. US Computer/Info Tech

11. Tech Info