importing into FoxPro MEMO fields?

Post by Steven La » Sun, 13 Feb 1994 16:39:06

OK, here's a question from a rank FP/Mac newbie. Apologies if it's obvious,
but the manuals are atrocious.

I have a database in Double Helix whose records include a large dynamic text
field which I need store as a MEMO field in FoxPro. However, as far as I can
tell, APPEND won't write to a memo field. When I dump the DH file as tab-delim-
ited ASCII and try to APPEND it to my FP table, FoxPro skips all the memo
fields. And APPEND MEMO seems only to work on one record at a time, as op-
posed to filling up a table's worth of records.

I know I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is. Or could it be
that FP genuinely can't import to a MEMO field? Say it ain't so . . .

Any help would be much appreciated.
--
----
Steve Lane

Post by Dick Kee » Mon, 14 Feb 1994 00:00:56

: OK, here's a question from a rank FP/Mac newbie. Apologies if it's obvious,
: but the manuals are atrocious.

: I have a database in Double Helix whose records include a large dynamic text
: field which I need store as a MEMO field in FoxPro. However, as far as I can
: tell, APPEND won't write to a memo field. When I dump the DH file as tab-delim-
: ited ASCII and try to APPEND it to my FP table, FoxPro skips all the memo
: fields. And APPEND MEMO seems only to work on one record at a time, as op-
: posed to filling up a table's worth of records.

*I would be interested in the responses to this query as well. This is a
MAJOR problem with FoxBase for the Mac - a severe limitation of that
otherwise fine program that has forced me to abandon it.  I had hoped it
would be corrected in the FoxPRO MAC release (it's present in the PC
version) but appears to continue.
*

: I know I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is. Or could it be
: that FP genuinely can't import to a MEMO field? Say it ain't so . . .

: Any help would be much appreciated.
: --
: ----
: Steve Lane
: University of Chicago, Department of History

importing into FoxPro MEMO fields?

Post by Takao Ishina » Mon, 14 Feb 1994 05:42:28

I have compiled a FoxPro 2.5 application to .exe using the distribution
kit, but the serial number and owner name do not appear in the opening
screen when the .exe is run.  How can I make it include this
information?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.

importing into FoxPro MEMO fields?

Post by Joan Co » Thu, 17 Feb 1994 05:08:22

Re: importing from ASCII with Memo Fields

APPEND FROM will only append memo fields if you are appending from a DBF.
(and possibly another REAL database format that has memo fields itself that
FoxPro recognizes (e.g. Paradox - I don't know since I haven't tried that
format)  So it would seem you're out of luck with SDF, DELimited, Excel, etc.

Well, not exactly.  But you need to append memo for each record.  So you
will need to export each memo as a separate file, hopefully with a name that
is the same as your key field.  Then just write a PRG that does the append
memo in a do while loop

DO WHILE .NOT. EOF()
  store KEYFIELD to filename
  * if you need extensions or whatever to transform the variable filename
  * to a legal filename do that here.
  append memo MEMONAME from (filename)
  skip
ENDDO

Of course, this assumes that you've already appended the other file to get
the fixed length elements.

joan

Post by Steven La » Thu, 17 Feb 1994 10:28:03

>Re: importing from ASCII with Memo Fields
>Well, not exactly.  But you need to append memo for each record.  So you
>will need to export each memo as a separate file, hopefully with a name that
>is the same as your key field.  Then just write a PRG that does the append
>memo in a do while loop

It turns out to be sufficient to export all the memos for a single
field into one return-delimited file, then extract those one at a time
with FGETS() [I think] and REPLACE each memo field with the result of
the read, incrementing the record pointer as you go. A little tedious,
--
----
Steve Lane
University of Chicago, Department of History

importing into FoxPro MEMO fields?

Post by Klaus Stenn » Fri, 18 Feb 1994 00:53:00

Quote:> I have compiled a FoxPro 2.5 application to .exe using the distribution
> kit, but the serial number and owner name do not appear in the opening
> screen when the .exe is run.  How can I make it include this
> information?

When building your project you have to click a checkbox called 'logo' in
_Project/Projectinformation_. Then the fox-logo with the serialno. and
your name will be display each time the application is started.

I hope the names of menus and checkboxes will be correct. I'm using the
german version and these names are a simple 1:1-translation of the ones in
my version.

Gruss/2
        Klaus

--

importing into FoxPro MEMO fields?

Post by Paul Russel » Sun, 27 Feb 1994 04:15:06

In message 16 Feb 1994 16:53:00 +0100,

Quote:>> I have compiled a FoxPro 2.5 application to .exe using the distribution
>>   kit, but the serial number and owner name do not appear in the opening
>>   screen when the .exe is run.  How can I make it include this
>>   information?

> When building your project you have to click a checkbox called 'logo' in
> _Project/Projectinformation_. Then the fox-logo with the serialno. and
> your name will be display each time the application is started.

> I hope the names of menus and checkboxes will be correct. I'm using the
> german version and these names are a simple 1:1-translation of the ones in
> my version.

The other thing you could do is:

=SYS(2017)

/Paul
| Paul Russell             | Phone:     (902) 468-3680                    |
| Software Kinetics        | Fax:       (902) 468-3679                    |

| Dartmouth                | "Use technology because it's appropriate...  |
| Nova Scotia, Canada      |     not just because it's cool!"             |
| B3B 1W2                  |             - E. Davidson, Software Kinetics |