Returning DOS file size in D3NT

Post by Braydan Wils » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I'm sure there's a simple TCL verb or basic statement that will do this -
weel, to be more honest I HOPE there is.

I want to find the size of an NT file in bytes to do some calculations in a
PickBASIC program. I am about to write a function that executes the !DIR
<filename> command and parses the captured output. I'd prefer not to
reinvent the wheel.

Thanks,

Braydan
--
To email response remove SPAMMINGISBAD from my address.

Braydan Wilson

Returning DOS file size in D3NT

Post by Mark Brow » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Well, there's: read the item and count it; list file SIZE and capture the
output; or execute !DIR and capture that output.

Also, remember, the problem here is: OSFI needs to bring the item into D3 so it
can look like a D3 item.  That means if you're looking at a lot of BIG BINARY
items, you'll eat up your available overflow in a hurry (and hang onto it until
you logoff).  The !DIR command doesn't use up so many D3 resources.

Mark

--

Mark Brown
Manager Continuing Engineering

1. D3NT Exporting a Dos Format File

In R83 & AP I have a program that creates a dos file form from several pick
files.
I then dos copy or export them to a floppy or a network location. I have
searched
the D3 documentation for this procedure. Looking for a manual and then
automated way to accomplish this with D3NT.

Thanks Ben

2. dbms_lob.substr weirdness with clobs

3. Determining DOS file sizes from within SQL Server

4. Req: Tool for white-box test of INF-4GL sources

5. Progress on Unix, (or dos) file size???

6. Trigger Causes Resync Problems

7. File size limitations under FP for DOS

8. Images & Binary Files

9. D3NT: size of the VME disk (disk0.d3v).

10. SQL Server database file size versus Oracle File size

11. D3NT writing a Hex file from Pick

12. D3NT Remote File System Errors

13. D3NT programs in BP file