Pick to Pick Communications?

Post by Tony Gravag » Sat, 03 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I'd like to know what utilities are in use these days for doing remote
comms. Do you have any custom code you're proud of?  Please specify
source and target platforms (AP/PRO or AP/Unix to Unix, AS400, ?),
method of comm (serial, tcp/ip, IR, radio), capabilities (remote
login, xmodem, kermit), and tools used (sockets, telnet, rlogin, ftp,
cu).  Is it user friendly? programmer hostile? Any cool applications
for the code (satellite, EDI, e-mail, imaging).  The more details the
better, including purchase information if available.

I find that more people are using Pick for some very cool applications
and I think it would be interesting for all of us to find out more
about what everybody is doing.  Here at Pick, we try to help people
use the existing tools to build these applications, but it would be
nice to have some input from the field.  This might also make apparent
a need for something new.

A recent request from Asia was for satellite comms - who does this?

TIA

Tony Gravagno - Pick Systems Customer Support

http://homepage.interaccess.com/~gravagno

The opinions here presented do not necessarily reflect those
of Pick Systems or of its other staff members.  Advice and
information presented should be considered as that of an
individual, and not as an official statement by Pick Systems
or its Customer Support Group.  For official support, please
phone:714-261-1875 or fax:714-261-5308 and have your System
Serial Number available for the receptionist.  Thank you.
P.S. I hate disclaimers too.

Pick to Pick Communications?

Post by FBH Associat » Sat, 10 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi

Hust a sample of what I've been doing:

1. Pick OA (6150) to AS400 via Angel (to AIX) and Handshake (to AS400)
2. Universe to AS400 via Unix filesystem and Handshake (to AS400)
3. McD ROS to IBM (Stock Exchange) via multiple pairs of simplex
communications servers (in assembler - some similarities to cu
architecture as it happens....) with an X.25 gateway (external box) to
Bisync.
4. Pick-to-Pick via
        4.1 own utility designated MTV
        4.2 Laguna Connection
        4.3 Termite (back-to-back sessions)
        4.4 PK Harmony
5. Pick to VM/370 via 2780 (network connection to server PC)
6. Pick to Pick (any flavours / combination) via TCP/IP and Unix
client/server software using CALLC / GCI interface
7. As 6 above, but substitute Pick with any  network-capable system -
includes Windows 3.1/3.11/95 (provides RFA, RPC and peer-to-peer)

Regards

John Jenkins

Post by Herbert Rub » Mon, 12 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I'd like to know what utilities are in use these days for doing remote
>comms. Do you have any custom code you're proud of?  Please specify
>source and target platforms (AP/PRO or AP/Unix to Unix, AS400, ?),
>method of comm (serial, tcp/ip, IR, radio), capabilities (remote
>login, xmodem, kermit), and tools used (sockets, telnet, rlogin, ftp,
>cu).  Is it user friendly? programmer hostile? Any cool applications
>for the code (satellite, EDI, e-mail, imaging).  The more details the
>better, including purchase information if available.

Tony, check out www.pfinders.com

Herb

Say, when's that D3 for Linux coming out???