pick and python

Post by John Howa » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:10:50

Has anybody done any work accessing pick (mv) databases with python?
Does anyone know if it can even be done.  I've got all this experience
in piopen and have just recently discovered how great python is.  It
would be great to combine the best database file concept (mv files)
with the best language concept.

pick and python

Post by Christophe M » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:20:56

Yes, I do. Using jd3, at http://sourceforge.net/projects/jd3/
but it used socket (network communication), and not piopen...

It is really easy to convert/manipulate multivalue record with this
greatfull langage.
Enjoy

> Has anybody done any work accessing pick (mv) databases with python?
> Does anyone know if it can even be done.  I've got all this experience
> in piopen and have just recently discovered how great python is.  It
> would be great to combine the best database file concept (mv files)
> with the best language concept.

pick and python

Post by Dave Bryan » Sun, 27 Jul 2003 03:42:49

John,

We have done quite a bit of work accessing jBASE from Python.

have a look at these two URL's

http://www.jbase.com/ppts/ucon2001/pythonintegrationdklein.ppt

http://www.jbase.com/knowledgebase/howto/python/jukebox.htm

They will give you an idea of what's involved.

Dave Bryant
jBASE International

> Yes, I do. Using jd3, at http://sourceforge.net/projects/jd3/
> but it used socket (network communication), and not piopen...

> It is really easy to convert/manipulate multivalue record with this
> greatfull langage.
> Enjoy

> > Has anybody done any work accessing pick (mv) databases with python?
> > Does anyone know if it can even be done.  I've got all this experience
> > in piopen and have just recently discovered how great python is.  It
> > would be great to combine the best database file concept (mv files)
> > with the best language concept.

pick and python

Post by mark bulle » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:08:17

John,

I am using jd3 and the python client to:
Access customer e-mailed kanban pulls (shipment requests).
Parse the requests (they are in xml format).
Populate a D3 file with the data.
Execute a D3 program which moves the data into our shipping system.

If you want to see something really neat check out wxpython
(wxpython.org).  I have written a small proof of concept package to use
jd3 server to act as a "web like" application server and the wxHtml
module found in wxWindows to act as the web browser.  If you would like
to take a look at it email me directly.

Mark Buller
Jonaco Machine