Windows report printing outside of Report Builder

Windows report printing outside of Report Builder

Post by Dave Clin » Fri, 24 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi!

We are beginning to get really fed up with the pokeyness of Report
Builder.  Its too slow, it sometimes blows its data server connections
and has too many limitations.  Since we are already doing a considerable
amount of preprocessing and slicing/dicing of our data prior to feeding
it to report builder, we are looking for either a better way to print
within Progress or perhaps look at another third party utility for
printing (that we could feed a ASCII file with some sort of formatting
commands - maybe like .ini headers).  The problem is - as most of you are
aware - is that there is no easy way to print columnar data that contains
numeric decimal data - as well as other types of formatting such as
shading from within Progress.  Any help would be sincerely appreciated!

Windows report printing outside of Report Builder

Post by Rico Pelanco » Sun, 26 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi!

>We are beginning to get really fed up with the pokeyness of Report
>Builder.  Its too slow, it sometimes blows its data server

Take a look at Impromptu, from Cognos.  It's a very convivial and
powerful Windows report generator.  For the ODBC connection, we use
Openlink's drivers.  Works great for us and users love it.

Canam Steel Works, St-Gedeon, Quebec (Canada)

Windows report printing outside of Report Builder

Post by Ngui Yuen Loo » Mon, 27 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>We are beginning to get really fed up with the pokeyness of Report
>Builder.  Its too slow, it sometimes blows its data server connections
>and has too many limitations.  Since we are already doing a considerable

* zipped *

We have the same problems. In fact, I posted a message regarding the
matter.

However, I have managed to generate reports using RESULTS which come
with PROGRESS V8.03A. You can generate p code of forms, browses as
well as reports using RESULTS.

Perhaps you want to give it a try.
---
Loong
Application Engineer
Automatic Identification Technology Sdn Bhd
Malaysia

Post by Paul Koufali » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

> Hi!

> We are beginning to get really fed up with the pokeyness of Report
> Builder.  Its too slow, it sometimes blows its data server connections
> and has too many limitations.  Since we are already doing a considerable
> amount of preprocessing and slicing/dicing of our data prior to feeding
> it to report builder, we are looking for either a better way to print
> within Progress or perhaps look at another third party utility for
> printing (that we could feed a ASCII file with some sort of formatting
> commands - maybe like .ini headers).  The problem is - as most of you are
> aware - is that there is no easy way to print columnar data that contains
> numeric decimal data - as well as other types of formatting such as
> shading from within Progress.  Any help would be sincerely appreciated!

Hi,
If you're looking for a custom printing utility send me some mail.  We
have a dll/exe pair that we developed in VC++ for Windows that allows
the developer considerable freedom in terms of printing.

Paul K
Le Groupe Cogicom

1. Printing Access reports or using Access to print/preview reports

Include a reference to Access for Windows 95 and then you can use OLE
automation to preview or print reports in Access 7.0

sub AccesReport()
   Dim objReport as Object
Set objReport=CreateObject("Access Application")
objReport.Visible=true
objReport.OpenCurrentDatabase App.path & "\test.mdb"
objReport.DoCmd.OpenReport "reportname", acPreview
End Sub

Johan Savels
Royal Technical Shool of the Belgian Air Force

2. Q: How do you get view parameters in report header?

3. Code report print <> Manual report print

4. Access macro to Access Basic converter

5. Reports, reports, reports, reports.....REPORTS!

6. stored procedure management software

7. VGS-1313 Font Lookup Failed from Report Builder report - corrupted file

8. US-IL-212 Chicago Region Major Vertical Market Database Vendors (We support all three in the Chicago Region)

9. Advice want: Report Builder versus Reports Designer

10. Problems with Report Builder print

11. Report Builder Vs Report Engine Printer Selection

12. Speed up Report builder printing?

13. Merged Reports with Report Builder ?