PicLan Request

Post by Wyvern Crest Limit » Fri, 24 Mar 1995 02:23:04

I have tried to get some information on PicLan but have had limited success.
Can anyone help with these queries.  Also if anyone has more than 1 Pick machine
linked together I would be most interested in their experiences.

We currently are using the computer clinic DAT devices on AP/Native 5.2.6 without
any problems and are now looking to upgrade our systems to AP/PRO and use the
ALL FOR ONE device driver.

We are using a DPT SCSI hard disk controller - will the software work with it?

How long before it becomes available?  We are currently stuck with our development
plans waiting for this device driver.  We cannot update our last machine from R83
to AP because the monolith 8000i cards don't work with AP and are going to network
instead to save buying I/O cards.  We intend on using a network with a central hub
to allow access of the dumb terminals to each machine.

We currently are using 4 Pick machines and will be linking them all together using
PicLan.  How can we print from one machine to a printer connected to another machine?
Can we just redirect the output by using SP-ASSIGN?

We also have a PERTEC 1/2" tape drive and would like all machines to have access
without having to go through switches.  Our current thought on this is to create a
work file and then transfer across PicLan to a 'tape server' and then transfer to tape.
Is this the only way we will be able to make use of the tape drive.
(we currently use Toby Kraft device driver to access the tape).

If the Tape server was a DOS machine could we read/write a DOS file directly one
item or 1 block at a time?

Thanks

Garry

PicLan Request

Post by Doug Dumit » Sat, 25 Mar 1995 13:28:35

Quote:>I have tried to get some information on PicLan but have had limited success.
>Can anyone help with these queries.  Also if anyone has more than 1 Pick machine
>linked together I would be most interested in their experiences.

You should be able to get info from Pick System on PicLan for AP/Pro.
They have a three page FAQ page that they should be able to fax you.
In all fareness, it is my understanding that AP/Pro is shipping in
large enough volumes that Pick is a bit swamped.

Quote:>We currently are using the computer clinic DAT devices on AP/Native 5.2.6 without
>any problems and are now looking to upgrade our systems to AP/PRO and use the
>ALL FOR ONE device driver.
>We are using a DPT SCSI hard disk controller - will the software work with it?

Unknown.  The last update I got from Pick was that the initial Kraft
SCSI drivers are targetted at Adaptec 1505/1520 controllers.  You
should be able to use these and the DPT concurrently (the 1505 is
cheap).

Quote:>How long before it becomes available?  We are currently stuck with our development
>plans waiting for this device driver.  We cannot update our last machine from R83
>to AP because the monolith 8000i cards don't work with AP and are going to network
>instead to save buying I/O cards.  We intend on using a network with a central hub
>to allow access of the dumb terminals to each machine.

You may want to ask Monolith if they are going to support 8000i cards
on AP/Pro.  It is my understanding that Monolith is shipping some
AP/Pro systems.

Quote:>We currently are using 4 Pick machines and will be linking them all together using
>PicLan.  How can we print from one machine to a printer connected to another machine?
>Can we just redirect the output by using SP-ASSIGN?

PicLan Pick to Pick printing is easy and transparent.  Essentially,
you point form queues from one system to another.  You can then use
SP-ASSIGN statements to specify a printer, regardless of where the
printer is actually connected.  The same is true with printers
connected to the network.

Quote:>We also have a PERTEC 1/2" tape drive and would like all machines to have access
>without having to go through switches.  Our current thought on this is to create a
>work file and then transfer across PicLan to a 'tape server' and then transfer to tape.
>Is this the only way we will be able to make use of the tape drive.
>(we currently use Toby Kraft device driver to access the tape).

There is no remote tape support in PicLan.  You can do what you are
thinking of, or implement a more generalized Remote Proceedure Call
for tape access using Pick phantoms.

Quote:>If the Tape server was a DOS machine could we read/write a DOS file directly one
>item or 1 block at a time?

PicLan supports (through the DSG) full-features access and updates of
DOS and network files through Pick BASIC subroutine calls.  Assuming
that you can write the DOS access code (and assuming that you have
multiple DOS systems), you should be able to write a tape server under
DOS.  The DOS file transfer functions are good for about 50K/second
with large blocks.

I hope that this helps.

Doug Dumitru
Modular Software Corporation

1. PicLan

I need some resources on VB Applications using PicLan to connect to a
Pick Server So I can give my Data on Pick a Pretty face using VB. The
Biggest part of the Dilema has been trying to call Pick/Basic
Subroutines from within VB.

2. SQL Server 7 and .NET

3. PicLan terminal and Universe

4. 2.6 an text/endtext

5. PicLan/Windows for Workgroups - printing

6. Our application's TCP/IP connections to SQL Svr blocked by client's firewall.

7. PicLan v 1.1.0.28 *** ANNOUNCEMENT ***

8. Help needed: Date

9. piclan and appro

10. Piclan DSG question

11. Piclan-IP / Coyote filename extensions

12. PicLan - Network Printing