thesis on data mining

Post by Alberto Ciavarell » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hallo,
I am an italian student and finishing my studies in economics.
Finally i've decided to write my thesis on data mining, but during last
month i understood that the more i read about DM the more i switch
towards classic ways to data analysys.
The real problem is, I think, that is very difficult making DM in
practice. I don't want to do just a theoric book! I am using the S.A.S.
System but i do not think it is real DM.
Can someone suggest me what i have to do my data (survey on van
buyers)(i need just an example to develop) to be able to write the words
"Data Mining" in my index?
Thanks in advance.
Alberto Ciavarella.

PS: Sorry for my English.

1. Data mining using SQL server,problems with Data mining model wizard

I am trying to make a (data mining) association rule
mining software (applying it to a supermarkets database)
using SQL SERVER, OLE DB DM and VISUAL BASIC 6.0.
I had a few questions and was hoping that someone could
help me regarding SQL server:

1. I have seem to have downloaded all the programs
necessary to run and create the mining model but am facing
problems: Where am i to SAVE all these downloads that i
need to run my association rule software with? in one
folder? in the C:PROGRAM FILES FOLDER? or should i make a
separate folder for them all? downloads include MDAC 2.7,
angoss visualization tools etc...

2. What PROVIDERS are necessary to run an association rule
mining program? The error i keep getting when i use SQL
server 2000 (using DTS and angoss visualization tools, ole
db) is "LOOK FOR MSDMine..." where can i find it so i can
download it? what are the default providers that you get
with SQL SERVER AND OLE DB DM?

3. When I try to create a MINING MODEL using the data
mining model wizard (SQL SERVER) and the Data Transmission
Package, i DO NOT get a list of the possible databases
that i can use (even though they are present and i can
manipulate them in the analysis manager), and i DO NOT get
a list of possible data mining algortihms to choose
from... one of the solutions for this problem on the
internet was to download microsoft SP 2, but it did not
work. any suggestions?

2. Delphi3 BDE and Paradox BDE problems

3. Data Wharehouse - Data Mining - Data Stage - ......

4. Help me!

5. Prediction using OLAP Data Mining Model and Data Cubes

6. XP & FPD Printing issues

7. refresh data in a data mining model

8. tricky case problem

9. Data Mining and Data Warehousing

10. data mining for biomech data

11. Data Access & Data Mining

12. Graphical Representation Of Data Cubes (Data Mining)