CA/Ingres Charles Wang quote

Post by John Oliv » Tue, 12 Jul 1994 07:45:33

In the July 11 New Zealand ComputerWorld:
   "CA Developers Go" ...
   "Wang says the departure of developers from the California
   division won't affect Ingres's future. 'Who are these people?
   Where do they think they're going to go? Oracle and Sybase don't
   want them - they just want them to stop working for Ask. I hope
   the people that left don't regret it. Walking out on CA is a one
   way route.'"

The article goes on to state that Ask was planning on moving Ingres
development to the UK.

Post by M Darrin Chan » Thu, 14 Jul 1994 03:52:05

>In the July 11 New Zealand ComputerWorld:
>   "CA Developers Go" ...
>   "Wang says the departure of developers from the California
>   division won't affect Ingres's future. 'Who are these people?
>   Where do they think they're going to go? Oracle and Sybase don't
>   want them - they just want them to stop working for Ask. I hope
>   the people that left don't regret it. Walking out on CA is a one
>   way route.'"

Where I come from, we always follow drivel such as this with a single
sentence:

"Yeah, then he woke up."

Wang is dreaming if he thinks these guys can't get jobs at Sybase and
Oracle.  Despite the magazine ads, these companies know quite well that
they can profit from intimate internal knowledge of a competing product
to beef up their own.

Maybe "Sorry Charlie" (note funny new nickname that doesn't take the
obvious to a *ager advantage of last name) would be doing better to
grow up, swallow some pride, eat some humble pie, get some knee pads,
and do some serious begging to try to lure some developers back.

Other posts here, including one from within Ingres, reaffirm that most
of the Alameda developers, accounting for ~80% of all Ingres developers,
have left, while about 25% of the rest (~5% worldwide) have left.
That's a lot of people.  Rather than continue his *age rantings and
delusions of revenge, Sorry Charlie would be better off trying to get
some of the talent back in the company.  And now, it's going to take
more money than it would have before.  However, it will take even more
to get them out of Oracle and Sybase next month.

How long can Mr. Cool wait?  The facade has already crumbled...

        Darrin
--
M Darrin Chaney, Senior Database Programmer, University Computing Services, IU

"I want- I need- to live, to see it all..."