Microsoft to discontinue FoxPro

Post by Tito » Sun, 21 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I read an article in InforWorld, and they were talking about Microsoft
discontinuing Foxpro, since they have Acces and VB.

Has anyone else read any articles or heard if Microsoft will
discontinue FoxPro in the future.

Also, is Visual Basic a better program for developing applications
then FoxPro.

Microsoft to discontinue FoxPro

Post by Lucien T. Elliot » Tue, 23 Apr 1996 04:00:00

DONT START THIS *AGAIN!  GO BACK TO PRIOR WEEKS ARCHIEVE AND YOU
WILL FIND OUT;

1>  IT AINT SO

2>  NO

LU

Post by Erich Li » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

 > I read an article in InforWorld, and they were talking about Microsoft
 > discontinuing Foxpro, since they have Acces and VB.
 >
 > Has anyone else read any articles or heard if Microsoft will
 > discontinue FoxPro in the future.
 >
 > Also, is Visual Basic a better program for developing applications
 > then FoxPro.

Check out the may issue of FOXPRO ADVISOR.  One of Microsoft's GMs has a reply to that infoworld article and he states that microsoft will continue to support FP.

Erich

Microsoft to discontinue FoxPro

Post by M Darrin Chan » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>DONT START THIS *AGAIN!  GO BACK TO PRIOR WEEKS ARCHIEVE AND YOU
>WILL FIND OUT;

>1>  IT AINT SO

>2>  NO

Those of us who subscribe to Info Week got a hilarious treat two weeks
ago. The editor's column was wasted defending the magazine from someone
on the net complaining about InfoWeeks dubious "reporting" (i.e. making
up articles).

The sad part is, many, many Cobol-heads take the magazine seriously on
everything.  The damage that they did to FoxPro is large enough to be
grounds for a lawsuit, IMHO.

Oh well, enough ranting.

        Darrin

--
Michael Darrin Chaney         FoxPro, Visual FoxPro, & Visual Basic Consulting

Phone: (812)333-6311 & (800)711-4240  Fax: (812)333-1894

Post by Margaret Strei » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>I read an article in InforWorld, and they were talking about Microsoft
>discontinuing Foxpro, since they have Acces and VB.
>Has anyone else read any articles or heard if Microsoft will
>discontinue FoxPro in the future.

The latest FoxPro Advisor says (quote) 'that Microsoft has stated
clearly that VFP 4 will *not* be the last version' (end quote).
Also that another strong sign for FP is that they have announced an
official Microsoft FoxPro DevCon in October (Phoenix).

So I guess FP is still* in there.

BTW have you checked out the new microsoft newsgroups for FoxPro?
They are just getting started but are apparently to replace the
Compuserve Forums. Point your news reader to msnews.microsoft.com and
check them out.

Cheers -
Marg

Post by Taquin » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>I read an article in InforWorld, and they were talking about Microsoft
>discontinuing Foxpro, since they have Acces and VB.
>Has anyone else read any articles or heard if Microsoft will
>discontinue FoxPro in the future.

        I heard something about, and I'm looking for news too ... if I know something,
I'll tell you and post an article here ...

Quote:>Also, is Visual Basic a better program for developing applications
>then FoxPro.

        Uh ... what about the database support ?????

        []'s
        Taquinho

Microsoft to discontinue FoxPro

Post by jeff brow » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

InfoWeek does have tremendous clout.  You should watch the stock values of
the companies and products profiled in the mag (especially stock value) in
the week following any issue.  There is a pretty good correlation between
the cover story (positive/negative) and the stock price for a 5-7 day period.

One stock I have been watching for a while is a prime example.  This company
announced on March 25 that they were once again going to lose millions for
the quarter (they have been doing this for 3 years).  Their stock had been
at .50 for a long, long time.

On April 3, they announced a new product, pretty spiffy, at the $150 range.
They managed to get in the weekly "hot product" list.  Zooommmm - the day
after InfoWeek came out they were on an upward move that peaked at $5, a tenfold
increase in value.  This has dropped some, but is incredible.

This week's cover was Sun....look at their move lately.  I think that you
could draw a meaningful correlation that might prove supportive to the
damage done by a "made up" article.  Of course, you'd have to prove that they
were negligent...

Post by Fernando Puyuelo Ossori » Mon, 29 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>I read an article in InforWorld, and they were talking about Microsoft
>discontinuing Foxpro, since they have Acces and VB.

>Has anyone else read any articles or heard if Microsoft will
>discontinue FoxPro in the future.

>Also, is Visual Basic a better program for developing applications
>then FoxPro.

Two days ago I read something about the Foxpro continueted, an article
writed by MIcrosoft people. They said that the are just working in VFP
4.0, and that the name will be probably VFP 5.0. They have maked a big
money inversion  and they'll continue with it.
VFP is used for developing big aplications with a qick access to
big databases.
Visual Basic is really good for short programs to be distributed in only
one diskette (this is imposible in VFP).  Also you can make big
applications, but Foxpro is quickest.

Fernando Puyuelo
INFORMATICA BORSAN S.L.
Madrid (Spain)

Post by Richard Seymou » Sun, 05 May 1996 04:00:00

> >Has anyone else read any articles or heard if Microsoft will
> >discontinue FoxPro in the future.
>         I heard something about, and I'm looking for news too ... if I know
> something,
> I'll tell you and post an article here ...

This issue has been bandied about quite a bit over the last month or two,
a good starting place to read some articles on it is the FoxPro news and
rumours section of Colin's FoxPro page at:

http://www.state.sd.us/people/colink/foxpage.htm

--
Richard Seymour, Anarchy Software

http://www.winternet.com/~rseymour

Microsoft to discontinue FoxPro

Post by DRMU » Mon, 06 May 1996 04:00:00

At the January meeting of San Francisco's ADD (Association of Database
Developers) FoxPro SIG, two MS people demoed a beta of VFP 4.0 (The beta
is available now to others and will probably be shown at the next FP SIG).
They said version 5.0 was well into the planning stages, so unless it gets
deep sixed, you can expect to see at least that.

Microsoft to discontinue FoxPro

Post by DRMU » Mon, 06 May 1996 04:00:00

Some of you have noticed that FoxPro for DOS no longer is supported.
According to the MS people noted in the my other post in this folder, it
was not a decision to discontinue support, but just a reprioritizing, if I
might put it that way. They have not announced a lack of support for the
DOS version, but I doubt that you will see another released version if I
am reading the writing on the wall correctly. There was some steam at that
meeting about Microsoft's lack of support for VFP vis a vis drumming up
business for it. While you will see ads for say VB or Access, a CEO
looking for database support in his/her organization is not particularly
likely to have even heard of VFP. So how can a FP developer expect to be
able to sell the idea to the CEO? Responsibility here (as the SIG members
see it) falls squarly on the shoulders of MS.

Dan.

Microsoft to discontinue FoxPro

Post by Shawn Ramse » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

Maybe you shouldn't be trying to sell FoxPro to the CEO and
develop some expertice in some other DBMS.

Post by DRMU » Wed, 08 May 1996 04:00:00

>Maybe you shouldn't be trying to sell FoxPro to the CEO and
>develop some expertice in some other DBMS.

Well, I guess this is, perhaps, the writing on the wall. The discussion at
the latest FoxPro SIG of the S.F. ADD touched on Delphi, Java, VB, C++,
Visual C++, Watcom C++, Access, etc. etc.

Microsoft to discontinue FoxPro

Post by KJumo » Fri, 10 May 1996 04:00:00

I think that may of the arguments about the longevity of flat file
databases ignore one simple fact. Companies like Borland and Microsoft do
not gain any license fees from the use of Paradox, Dbase, Foxpro etc. All
they gain is money for the runtime and the development tools which
developers pay for only once(and future upgrades). You can sell 500,000
copies of your fabulous app using Paradox, Access, or whatever and
Microsoft etc do not gain a single penny. In the case SQL Server,
Interbase etc they earn a license fee for every user, or at most thousands
of dollars for unlimited users. Let us be realistic, unless they charge
thousands for the developer tools and license runtimes, they have not
incentive whatsoever to further the development such systems. They may
only hope to earn money from Access, Paradox if users require them for
reports etc, and hopefully charge them for required ODBC drivers if they
do so at all.

As far as I see, the real benefit of Paradox, Foxpro etc over C++, Delphi
etc, is that they allow code, reports and forms, to be generated at
runtime, be compiled and executed by users, something compiled languages
cannot do. After switching from Paradox to Delphi( I know this may not be
popular here, I am not a foxpro user) I am not going back to any pcode
tools, unless the likes of the above mentioned are required, and that will
be mostly for reports.

Microsoft to discontinue FoxPro

Post by Marc Grajowe » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

You make a very interesting and new (to me) point here.

Thanks.

Marc

1. Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 Discontinued When?

Does anyone know when Microsoft will stop supporting 6.5.?

For example, you call them with proven bug and they tell you that the only
solution available is to rev up to 7.0, as opposed to working for a bug fix
/ hotfix / SP for 6.5.

Any ideas on when this might happen?

Thanks,

Frank

2. CHAT PROGRAM!!?

3. Will FoxPro DOS/WIN be discontinued?

4. Move SQL Server database from one box to another

5. Foxpro Discontinue???

6. guessing a VDEVNO

7. Microsoft VB doesn't know how to talk to Microsoft FoxPro

8. Microsoft Foxpro & Visual Foxpro Accessing Informix

9. Microsoft Visual FoxPro Driver and FoxPro 2.0

10. "Discontinued" - Del Trigger

11. discontinued support for sql7?

12. "Discontinued"-trigger?