ADO and XML - Controlling the output

Post by RMD » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 18:53:50

From what I've read so far in past postings to this group, it is not
possible to manipulate how ADO saves the XML it outputs.

I realize I can either load the XML into a MSXML DOM and manipulate it, or
manipulate the xml string directly, to format it the way I want, but it
would be very handy if I could simply tell ADO how to map rows/columns to
nodes/attributes in the resulting XML.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks,

RMD

ADO and XML - Controlling the output

Post by Val Mazu » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 21:51:03

Hi,

No, you cannot do that. Loading recordset into XML DOM,
probably the best you can do

Val

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>From what I've read so far in past postings to this
group, it is not
>possible to manipulate how ADO saves the XML it outputs.

>I realize I can either load the XML into a MSXML DOM and
manipulate it, or
>manipulate the xml string directly, to format it the way
I want, but it
>would be very handy if I could simply tell ADO how to map
rows/columns to
>nodes/attributes in the resulting XML.

>Is there any way to do this?

>Thanks,

>RMD

>.

1. sql server xml output to ado open input

I am creating a vb client that must open a recordset from an SQL server 2000
database.  I would like to open the recordset from xml generated from sql
server:
    rs.Open "http://server?sql=generated sql string",,,adCmdFile

The problem is that the xml that SQL server generates is a different schema
than a recordset can open.  Am I missing something here?  Is there an easy
way to convert the xml doc from sql server into an xml doc the recordset can
open?  Using xsl?

I am very new to xml and so be gentle!

Thanks,
Mathew Shuster

2. Deleting records without logging

3. Skipping a column of ADO recordset for XML output

4. Database and Forte (JBDC-ODBC)

5. ADO's XML output

6. AD: /training/etc/ Oracle Courses FYI.....

7. REPOSTED: NULL values and ADO to XML output....

8. Belgian Club for Delphi-programmers

9. Max output length 8192 for XML output

10. WISH- output extended proc results output to XML

11. XML templates: return SP OUTPUT parameter in XML

12. XML query node problem: same level root from output xml query

13. Word Wrapping XML output making invalid XML