FPW 2.6 on NT 4.0?

Post by David Schwart » Mon, 05 May 1997 04:00:00

I'm about to get a new PC and am considering a single or dual Pentium box
running NT workstation.  I will be doing both FPW 2.6 and VFP (3.0b/5.0a)
development.  Will I have any problems doing FPW 2.6 work on an NT machine?
I currently run Win 3.1 for my FPW 2.6 work.

Any informed opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

David Schwartz
Lockheed Martin Government ELectronic Systems
Moorestown, NJ

FPW 2.6 on NT 4.0?

Post by Conrad Wheel » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

I'm about to get a new PC and am considering a single or dual Pentium box
running NT workstation.  I will be doing both FPW 2.6 and VFP (3.0b/5.0a)
development.  Will I have any problems doing FPW 2.6 work on an NT machine?
I currently run Win 3.1 for my FPW 2.6 work.

Any informed opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

David Schwartz
Lockheed Martin Government ELectronic Systems
Moorestown, NJ

Wow, asking for an informed opinion in a newsgroup is pushing it just a bit.
Most of the posts are either spammers or lamers decrying that their bic pen
is better than this pilot pen.

Anyway the only problem I have come across so far long file names on
directories (easy enough). just make sure that you set your 16 bit apps to
run in their own environment (memory space).

Conrad Wheeler
Network Admin
Omnia Group Inc

FPW 2.6 on NT 4.0?

Post by Craig Berntso » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

No more than on Win95.
--
Craig Berntson
Salt Lake City Fox User Group

> I'm about to get a new PC and am considering a single or dual Pentium box
> running NT workstation.  I will be doing both FPW 2.6 and VFP (3.0b/5.0a)
> development.  Will I have any problems doing FPW 2.6 work on an NT
machine?
> I currently run Win 3.1 for my FPW 2.6 work.

> Any informed opinions will be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks in Advance!

> David Schwartz
> Lockheed Martin Government ELectronic Systems
> Moorestown, NJ

> Wow, asking for an informed opinion in a newsgroup is pushing it just a
bit.
> Most of the posts are either spammers or lamers decrying that their bic
pen
> is better than this pilot pen.

> Anyway the only problem I have come across so far long file names on
> directories (easy enough). just make sure that you set your 16 bit apps
> run in their own environment (memory space).

> Conrad Wheeler
> Network Admin
> Omnia Group Inc

1. FPW 2.6 and NT 4.0 - watch out!

Recently I updated my computer operating system from Win 95 to Windows NT
4.0 -
Microsoft's latest and greatest offering for the desktop.  Most things seem
to work well under
NT 4.0 with one very critical failure or oversight.  That pertains to
creating distribution disks
on a FoxPro for Windows 2.6 application.

The known problem according to Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q103032 -
"PRB: RUN/!
Command Failed with Windows NT", states that using the RUN command without
the /N
parameter FoxPro stops execution until the RUN command completes and the
MS-DOS
session is closed.  The article goes on to say that "because Windows NT is
a preemptive
multitasking operating system, it switches control back and forth between
FoxPro and the
RUN command.  This can cause FoxPro to time out while it is waiting for the
RUN command
to complete."

The very critical piece to this as far as I am concerned is highlighted and
states:

        NOTE:  This problem affects the SetupWizard in the FoxPro Distribution
Kit, which also
        uses a RUN command, causing it to fail at the point where compression
starts.

Is there any solution to this problem?  I hate to call Microsoft and pay
$95 for a problem
they know about but have not fixed.  Microsoft needs to realize that not
everyone, especially
clients purchasing custom software, have the hardware required for their
latest releases.

Microsoft appears to be acting like a modern day Hitler trying to not only
kill FoxPro, but
also small scale developers wishing to stay on top of technology and
supporting their
clients not having the latest and greatest hardware requirements.

2. Writing an image to a file using ado

3. FPW 2.6 Query Page Preview with NT 4.0

4. (PDXJOBS_1) Oracle Developer (pdx 387)

5. GPF printing FPW 2.6 on-the-fly report in NT 4.0

6. Accessing Specific Records in DBGrid

7. FPW 2.6 Setup Wizard and NT 4.0

8. How to open ODBC connection with code ?

9. FPW 2.6 Creating an EXE w/ NT 4.0

10. Linking Crystal Reports 4.0 to FPW 2.6?

11. NT Server and FPW 2.6

12. FPW 2.6 and Winword 97 under NT

13. Are you using NT Workstation and FPW 2.6?