Universe Newbie - question on serial coms

Universe Newbie - question on serial coms

Post by Bob Dube » Mon, 18 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have a very fast lazer printer that I have connected to a Corollary box
running Universe under Sco. The box has no serial ports, it has routers
connected to it via TCP/IP to handle serial comms. The printer can run at a
baud rate if 57600 but currently it is only running at 19200 and spends a
lot of time idle.

I'd like to run the printer at a higher baud rate, but my understanding is
that whilst the routers and Sco will allow this Universe imposes a limit of
19200 for serial devices.

Can anybody suggest a way around this problem?

The printing is handled by the Universe spooler. Whilst I have several years
experience with R83, AP and PI i am something of a Universe newbie.

TIA

Bob Dubery
Johannesburg
South Africa

Universe Newbie - question on serial coms

Post by jeff » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

If you want to route the output through a C program or a shell script,
you can edit the sp.config file (check out the specifics in the sys admin
book) and pass the output through standard in to the program or script.
Each line of the sp.config file pertains to a printer.  The first column
contains the printer name, then it is followed by spaces and the command
to execute.  Again, you're grabbing the print job from standard in.

jeff george

 Bob
: I have a very fast lazer printer that I have connected to a Corollary box
: running Universe under Sco. The box has no serial ports, it has routers
: connected to it via TCP/IP to handle serial comms. The printer can run at a
: baud rate if 57600 but currently it is only running at 19200 and spends a
: lot of time idle.

: I'd like to run the printer at a higher baud rate, but my understanding is
: that whilst the routers and Sco will allow this Universe imposes a limit of
: 19200 for serial devices.

: Can anybody suggest a way around this problem?

: The printing is handled by the Universe spooler. Whilst I have several years
: experience with R83, AP and PI i am something of a Universe newbie.

: TIA

: Bob Dubery
: Johannesburg
: South Africa

1. Universe/AIX & serial comm

We are trying to develop a module for our application which
will involve dialing out of an AIX/universe application
and retrieving information from remote systems.  This seems
to be a rather simple operation in theory, connect to the modem,
dial, wait for the "CONNECT", send, input and parse, etc...etc...

The problem seems to be one of lost data FROM the remote system
comming back to Universe...and I have NO clue why.  I can dial,
I can connect, but then I begin loseing characters.  Has anyone
out there set up such a process using ONLY Universe (ie. no unix
terminal product, etc)???  Any insights are appreciated.

regards,
Jeff
Jeff Schasny    | Eclipse, Inc.                   | Boulder, CO USA

2. Sybase consultant pool for Electronic Commerce

3. Serial printer in Universe

4. Looking for sql frontend

5. universe on rs6000 to universe NT question

6. Comprehensive Listing of Errors

7. Using VB.Net Standard for COMs and license

8. Oracle 8i 8.1.6 and Webdb 2.2 on Redhat 6.2

9. all these dot.coms using Hyperion solutions

10. FoxPro 3.0 to have better coms support?

11. Primary keys (serial and non serial)

12. Dump serials as serial

13. Dump serials as serial -- not a sequence