Problem with setting up ODBC data source for an SQL Server database on a network

Problem with setting up ODBC data source for an SQL Server database on a network

Post by Ragnar Midtskoge » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:22:38

Hello,

I have a VB app that uses an SQL db through an ODBC connection to a server
on our MS LAN.

It worked fine, but then I had to reinstall Windows98 SE, and now I can't
set up the ODBC data source, the SQL Server does not show up in the dialog.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Ragnar

Problem with setting up ODBC data source for an SQL Server database on a network

Post by Michael Gernaey[MS » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:56:47

Hello,

Have you tried just typing in the SQL Server Name? I dont
always trust the drop down myself.

Also, it could be a version problem. Possibly there had
been an updated MDAC on the box before you wiped it, now i
think win98 uses like MDAC 2.1 .. Possibly look into
upgrading to MDAC 2.7 or at least 2.5 sp2..

If you do type in the server(and make sure your client is
setup to run either TCPIP or Named Pipes) then type in the
server name and try to use the ODBC manager to Test a
connection and see what error you get. I would also
suggest seeing if you can Ping or Netview the SQL server.
Maybe when you re-installed some network setting is
blocking you from seeing the server.

-Michael Gernaey
Microsoft Corporation
confers no rights.
You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft
Corporation. All rights
reserved.

Problem with setting up ODBC data source for an SQL Server database on a network

Post by Ragnar Midtskoge » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 04:20:35

Thank you, typing in the name worked! If everything was that easy!

Ragnar

[...]

Post by Jan Csis » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 19:18:56

Hello Ragnar,

I understand that your entry 'SQL Server' within your ODBC Data Source
Administrator is no longer present.

If you cannot locate an entry similar to the following withinh your
registry you will have to reinstall the SQLServer Client :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers]
"SQL Server"="Installed"

Hope this helps,

Jan

> Hello,

> I have a VB app that uses an SQL db through an ODBC connection to a server
> on our MS LAN.

> It worked fine, but then I had to reinstall Windows98 SE, and now I can't
> set up the ODBC data source, the SQL Server does not show up in the dialog.

> Any comments would be appreciated.

> Ragnar

1. Delphi problem with MS SQL Server ODBC Data Sources

I have been having a problem with Delphi (desktop version) when attempting to
connect to a Microsoft SQL Server ODBC data source.  Delphi always connects to
the user's default database regardless of what database is specified in the
ODBC data source configuration.  This makes it next to impossible to use
Delphi as a front end for MS SQL Server apps unless  the user only needs to
connect to their default database.  The only solution that I have heard so far
is to shell out another $1800 for the client server edition and not use ODBC.
If anyone out there has run across this problem and knows of a solution for
it, I would be most grateful to learn of it.

-Jason Harmon

2. Stored subprograms for applications

3. Setting Up SQL Server Data Source Connection

4. Cant Browse Cube cant connect to database

5. setting up SQL Server data source

6. Foxpro 2.6 sample routines

7. problem in using Recordset to open ORACLE database via ODBC system data source

8. Combining 3 fields to be one searchable field

9. Data Source: Programmatically Configuring an ODBC Data Source - HELP PLEASE

10. Help:ODBC Data Source Admin doesn't show Names of new Data Sources

11. cannot add MSAccess 97 data source in ODBC Data Source Admin

12. Create a ODBC Database and Data Source by ODBC API

13. odbc error(category :odbc,source:odbc sql server driver,number:S1T00)