Retreiving the description of a field in a Access database with ADOX

Retreiving the description of a field in a Access database with ADOX

Post by Sebastien Trembla » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I work on a program that i have written with
Visual C++ witch retreive data from a database
created with Access 97.
I use ADO to access the database. When we create a
database in Access 97 and we add field, we must
enter the FieldName, the DataType and we can also
enter a description. It is this description that
i need to retreive in my program (with ADO function).
I have shearch a lot in ADO docs but i did'nt find
a method or a property that can do that. So, i want
to retreive this description by programming (C++).

Thanks.

Sebastien Tremblay

Retreiving the description of a field in a Access database with ADOX

Post by Thérèse Hanque » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi Sebastien,

Quote:> I use ADO to access the database. When we create a
> database in Access 97 and we add field, we must
> enter the FieldName, the DataType and we can also
> enter a description. It is this description that
> i need to retreive in my program (with ADO function).

You can access this description through the "Description" property of the
ADOX column object. Have a look at this page:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/dasdk/migr42n6.htm
It's apparently a specific property of the Jet 4 OLE DB provider, and you
should be able to access it through the Properties collection. Sorry I don't
practice C++ but I am pretty sure it's possible, although they might be some
tricks (for example you might have to set the ParentCatalog property before
being able to read provider-specific properties).
HTH

Thrse

1. Access 2000 ADOX schema/ Table Field Descriptions

I have serveral Access 2000 databases that I'm importing
into SQL 7 with one problem. I extensively use the schema
object in asp which uses the description column in access
2000 i.e. field_name data_type description.  I have not
found how SQL 7 handles or if it does the "description"
from Access.  I noticed in SQL 7 that you can import the
metadata and see the descriptions associated with Access
field names but I've yet to figure out on how to import
them into SQL7 if it supports it.

Please advise.

2. Oracle 8i

3. Retreiving Access Caption or Description Property from VB3.0

4. Good reporting tool

5. Retreiving Description from Access DB

6. ASP : IIS : Access site falls over when hits get above 35000/day

7. ADO/ADOX - Getting at Access table descriptions

8. Retrieving Access database Field descriptions using ADO

9. ADO - ASP - Access Database Field Descriptions

10. ADOX appends fields to Access database in alphabetical order

11. How to retreive the description property of a column

12. Columns collection of the table object retreive the columns duplicated in ADOX