** Invalid characters were replaced with blanks. (104)

** Invalid characters were replaced with blanks. (104)

Post by Marcelo Muzill » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,
   when I open a file in the PROGRESS Editor (UNIX) this messages
occurs. Why this occurs and how can I take off this message in my
program with Editor object?

Thanks in advance.

Marcelo Muzilli

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

** Invalid characters were replaced with blanks. (104)

Post by Jarek Janczy » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi Marcelo
The message occurs when You are opening dos file in unix. There is a program
dos2unix under SCO to convert dos program to unix.

Regards
Jarek J.

Quote:>Hi all,
>   when I open a file in the PROGRESS Editor (UNIX) this messages
>occurs. Why this occurs and how can I take off this message in my
>program with Editor object?

>Thanks in advance.

>Marcelo Muzilli

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

** Invalid characters were replaced with blanks. (104)

Post by Marcelo Muzill » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi Jarek,
   where I can find this program? In SCO or in PROGRESS. If you could,
send me this program.

Regards.

Marcelo Muzilli

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

** Invalid characters were replaced with blanks. (104)

Post by Berry de Brui » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

The program "dos2unix" is also available in Solaris for Sun (for instance).

If this program is not available:

You can always open the file with vi. In vi, do a replacement of all the
<^M> (ctrl M) characters. Key in something like:

      :1,$s/<^V><^M>//

This keysequence stands for:
"for all lines substitute <^M> with blank" (the <^V> you have to key in to
be able to indicate the special character <^M>).

** Invalid characters were replaced with blanks. (104)

Post by José M. Rebé » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Or remove the '^M' via "tr":

tr  -d  '\015'  <file1  >file2
mv  file2  file1

Jose Rebes