Creating Windows 3.1 Program Group and Icons

Creating Windows 3.1 Program Group and Icons

Post by TCrow925 » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Greetings:

I am currently developing an application using Foxpro 2.6 for windows and
Windows 3.1(1). I would like to have an installation program that creates
a program group and inserts icon items into the group (ie. program,
readme, help files...). I also wish to attach custom icons to my main
program files for minimizing and installing into groups. Any suggestions
using Foxpro code or link libraries?

Also, is there an alternative third party distribution kit now that
Microsoft no longer distributes their FDK?

Thanks in advance,

TMC

Post by craftam.. » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Also, is there an alternative third party distribution kit now that
>Microsoft no longer distributes their FDK?

>Thanks in advance,

>TMC

Well, there is no way around using the FDK.  In order to produce a stand-alone program, the FoxPro code has to be compiled and bundled with the run-time modules and libraries.  Distributing FoxPro run-time without the FDK is a violation of the licensing agreement.

You can still get the FDK, you just have to buy the Professional version of the current VFP release and request a "downgrade" to FPW2.6 or FPD 2.6 Professional.  The downgrade will cost probably less than $30.

The professional package comes with the FDK, the Connectivity Kit (ODBC for accessing other database systems like SQL Server, etc.), and the Library Construction Kit (for making your own library extensions to the FoxPro environment - that is, developing *.FLL library files with custom functions and procedures in them).

Hope this helps!

L8r,
P.B.

Creating Windows 3.1 Program Group and Icons

Post by Alpine Land Information Servic » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>Greetings:

>I am currently developing an application using Foxpro 2.6 for windows and
>Windows 3.1(1). I would like to have an installation program that creates
>a program group and inserts icon items into the group (ie. program,
>readme, help files...). I also wish to attach custom icons to my main
>program files for minimizing and installing into groups. Any suggestions
>using Foxpro code or link libraries?
>[snip]
>Thanks in advance,

>TMC

If you seek to use FoxPro code exclusively, I would recommend reading George
Tasker's article, "Better Communication with Program Manager", on page 44 of
the April 1997 issue of FoxPro Advisor.  It includes code for retrieving
information from Program Manager as well as creating new groups & items, all
using FoxPro's native DDE commands. There is also a sidebar for Windows 95
issues.

Hope this helps.

(Nod to Steven Karanikos et al: yeah, I suppose this presumes you can even get
your hands on a copy of FoxPro Advisor...)

-- Bill & Todd
FoxPro Jedi * Squad
"The only easy day was yesterday!"