Getting FPW2.6 to use new additional memory

Getting FPW2.6 to use new additional memory

Post by Paul and Kristin Williams » Thu, 01 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I just installed another 8 megs so I now have 16 megs (actually,
removed the old 8 and installed 16) this morning but it doesn't seem
to be helping FPW2.6.  Some programs still crash and things don't seem
to be going any faster than with 8 megs.  But, some other applications
seem to have benefited by the extra ram (like a competitor's database
app).

When I select "About FoxPro", it displays these memory related
statistics:

Total Memory:            3,553,248
Memory in Use:  139,168
MemLimit        :       90%
Virtual Memory: 12,253K
                Permanent
                C:

Now, if I add up the Virtual and Total Memory amounts, I get about 16
megs.  Do I need to somehow adjust the Virtual Memory amount (and if
so, how do I do that?)?  Do I have to do something to make FoxPro take
advantage of my new memory?

MemLimit is at 90%, so I don't think I can increase that.

Any ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated (If FP keeps on
crashing on me, then I dunno what I'm going to do!  Kick the dog
again, I guess!).

-paul

Post by RMorse06 » Fri, 02 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:Williamson) writes:
>I just installed another 8 megs so I now have 16 megs

>When I select "About FoxPro", it displays these memory related
>statistics:

>Total Memory:            3,553,248
>Memory in Use:      139,168
>MemLimit    :       90%
>Virtual Memory:     12,253K
>            Permanent
>            C:

>Now, if I add up the Virtual and Total Memory amounts, I get about 16
>megs.  Do I need to somehow adjust the Virtual Memory amount (and if
>so, how do I do that?)?  Do I have to do something to make FoxPro take
>advantage of my new memory?

Paul,

Increasing your virtual memory might be useful for some of your other
apps, but won't really do FoxPro much good.  Virtual memory is not memory
at all, it is a large disk-based file (known as a swap file), that Windows
uses when it needs more memory than is available.  FoxPro only wants
*real* memory, as it serves no purpose to read a file from the disk,
transfer the data to memory, then write it out to another spot on the disk
for future use.  The fact that your Total & Virtual readings added up to
16M was just a coincidence, you could easily have had 50M of virtual
memory, but again, that's not really going to help you.

Quote:>MemLimit is at 90%, so I don't think I can increase that.

Depends.  You left out two very important pieces of information, the
minimum and maximum settings.  These would be the two numbers that
followed the 90% on your "About" screen.  If you have your maximum set at
4,000, then adding all the memory in the world won't give you any more
than you're getting now.  You certainly don't want to raise the 90% value,
I don't like to use anything higher than 80%.  Try changing yours to 90,
8000, 12000 and see if you get a better chunk of memory for FoxPro.  If
you're still only getting 3.5M, it could be because you've allocated all
your true memory to other applications before FoxPro was launched.  If
this happens with no other apps running, check your settings for
SmartDrive or VCache (WfW 3.11 w/ 32BFA).  For a 16M system, these should
default to 2M (SmartDrive) or 4M (VCache).  They may have previously been
increased from those values, and of course you can always lower them if
you so desire.  You would also be losing real memory if you have a RamDisk
or Expanded Memory (does anyone still use that?) loaded.  You've got a
trade-off to consider here.  If you really want to optimize your system
for FoxPro, at the expense of all other programs, you should minimize your
disk cache and give FP all available memory, as it is quite adept at
caching the necessary data when given sufficient resources.  I reality,
you will usually want to have at least some degree of performance for your
other apps, so you can just play around with the various settings till you
find a happy medium.

HTH

Ralph Morse

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+
+                       This space for rent.
+
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Getting FPW2.6 to use new additional memory

Post by Jerry Ritc » Fri, 02 Feb 1996 04:00:00

How is it crashing exactly?  There are literally hundreds of possible
error messages and many point to different causes.  If you are getting
GPF's, a common cause of them is third party video drivers.  Try
setting your display (with the Windows Setup Icon) to VGA.

Virtual memory can be changed by going into the Windows Control Panel
(in the mian Program group) and double clicking the 386 enchanced icon
- then click the Virtual Memory button.

Quote:>Hi,

--

18 Dailey St. Apt 7L Attleboro, MA    02703 USA
http://www.argo.net/~jritcey/raven.htm

Getting FPW2.6 to use new additional memory

Post by Fernando Puyuelo Ossori » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>I just installed another 8 megs so I now have 16 megs (actually,
>removed the old 8 and installed 16) this morning but it doesn't seem
>to be helping FPW2.6.  Some programs still crash and things don't seem
>to be going any faster than with 8 megs.  But, some other applications
>seem to have benefited by the extra ram (like a competitor's database
>app).

>When I select "About FoxPro", it displays these memory related
>statistics:

>Total Memory:            3,553,248
>Memory in Use:      139,168
>MemLimit    :       90%
>Virtual Memory:     12,253K
>            Permanent
>            C:

>Now, if I add up the Virtual and Total Memory amounts, I get about 16
>megs.  Do I need to somehow adjust the Virtual Memory amount (and if
>so, how do I do that?)?  Do I have to do something to make FoxPro take
>advantage of my new memory?

>MemLimit is at 90%, so I don't think I can increase that.

>Any ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated (If FP keeps on
>crashing on me, then I dunno what I'm going to do!  Kick the dog
>again, I guess!).

>-paul

I have 16 Mb of RAM, and I use more than 20Mb for the Virtual Memory, and
of course, this one is permanet. More virtual memory helps to Foxpro to
run quicker.

Fernando Puyuelo
Madrid (Spain)

1. FPW2.6 printer skips additional copies of report?

I customized customer invoicing using the FPW2.6 report builder.
There is a separate report form for the packing slip and the
invoice.  I have a dialog that lets them choose how many copies
of the packing slip & invoice they want to print.  Then the program
sends the reports to the printer X number of times.  The problem
is that the printer will sometimes "forget" to print a page.  For
example you might ask for 2 copies of each report.  You can see the
report printing dialog open 4 times on the screen, yet the printer
may only print 3 pages.  This is a Lexmark Optra R+ (Postscript)
laser printer.  I've tried changing the settings in print manager,
printing direct to port, even networked the printer (RPRINTER in
NW3.11), but it still occasionally skips a report page.  Why???
Any help you might have would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Santa Cruz, California            Sunbeam Alpine SI B9011324

2. Invalid column name in VIEW

3. getting additional info out of sysprocesses and syslockinfo

4. Need Ingres Info

5. Installing additional Processor & memory on clustered server

6. Truncate Log

7. can additional memory improve SQL Server speed?

8. RDS Connection

9. Oracle ODBC Driver allocates additional memory

10. Optimally Utilising 256MB on Additional Memory on a HP9000 K250

11. HELP Getting ID From New Record using ADO????

12. 1363 Error - Memory using New Era App on Windows 3.11

13. Best way to query for new/additional records?