Ingres/ OpenRoad on Windows NT 3.5 ??

Post by Rajendra Jamadag » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi all,

        please excuse me if this has already been asked before, but
        I want to know are there any users who are using abovementioned
        combination successfully?

        How stable is NT Server and Ingres on it for say 10 user system?
        Arethere any known problems? A brief idea will be sufficient.

        We will be (looks like in near future) migrating to this platform,
        so i just wanted to keep some information handy.

        Answers can be directly sent to me, to save list bandwidth.

        tia
        raj

 Fujitsu Australia Limited.     All Views expressed are my own.

Post by Tim Boorm » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

>Just curious here; this is about the third of fourth post I've seen
>in the last month or so asking this same question: "We are moving to
>NT, is it going to work?"  Can I ask why so many people are deciding
>to run an operating system and THEN asking if it is going to work?
>In this case I think you are in luck, but I would have thought it
>would be better to ask, "What is the best platform to run a 10 user
>INGRES system, because we'd like to buy it?"  Why IS everyone buying
>NT?  I know why I use it but I don't think my reasons are likely to
>be the same as many other people's.

Because it's got Microsoft on the box!

Tim

Tim Boorman                      Telephone : +44 (0)1792 280622
Zenith Computer Services Ltd     Fax       : +44 (0)1792 280622

Ingres/ OpenRoad on Windows NT 3.5 ??

Post by Roy Ha » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

: Hi all,
:
:       please excuse me if this has already been asked before, but
:       I want to know are there any users who are using abovementioned
:       combination successfully?
:
:       How stable is NT Server and Ingres on it for say 10 user system?
:       Arethere any known problems? A brief idea will be sufficient.
:
:       We will be (looks like in near future) migrating to this platform,
:       so i just wanted to keep some information handy.

I think it is fine--but get lots of RAM, NT likes RAM.  INGRES for NT
is very stable, and provided you get the patch that fixes the dmfrcp
problem there are no serious bugs I've encountered.

Just curious here; this is about the third of fourth post I've seen
in the last month or so asking this same question: "We are moving to
NT, is it going to work?"  Can I ask why so many people are deciding
to run an operating system and THEN asking if it is going to work?
In this case I think you are in luck, but I would have thought it
would be better to ask, "What is the best platform to run a 10 user
INGRES system, because we'd like to buy it?"  Why IS everyone buying
NT?  I know why I use it but I don't think my reasons are likely to
be the same as many other people's.

--Roy Hann

Post by Eddy Jaco » Tue, 30 May 1995 04:00:00

>Just curious here; this is about the third of fourth post I've seen
>in the last month or so asking this same question: "We are moving to
>NT, is it going to work?"  Can I ask why so many people are deciding
>to run an operating system and THEN asking if it is going to work?
>In this case I think you are in luck, but I would have thought it
>would be better to ask, "What is the best platform to run a 10 user
>INGRES system, because we'd like to buy it?"  Why IS everyone buying
>NT?  I know why I use it but I don't think my reasons are likely to
>be the same as many other people's.
>--Roy Hann

I am using Ingres and Open Road on NT because it is the only way (for
now) to have the database (Ingres) and the development tool (Open
Road) on the same machine, so I do not need a server-client hardware
setup at home if I want to develop.

Hoboken - Antwerp - Belgium

Ingres/ OpenRoad on Windows NT 3.5 ??

Post by Julian Shar » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

The latest word I have heard from CA regarding stand-alone
development for OpenRoad is that when OpenRoad 3.5 come out at
the end of the year it will have an INGRES server (based on
Gupta) bundled with it. This will run on win3.1 and Win95 and so
there will be no need for NT. Me? I will be sticking with NT for
robustness.

--
Julian Sharp

1. Ingres II and OpenRoad 3.5/03 on Windows NT

Has someboy in the newsgroup successfully installed Ingres II (client part)
and OpenRoad 3.5/03 on windows NT 4.0 ?
I have installed both , but the OpenRoad installation fail at the end, and
when I start OpenRoad, he re-launch his GCN, GCC and I can't connect to the
ingres servers defined in the Ingres II netutil.

I have the strange feeling that we will have to upgrade to OR 4.0

--
Bernard Royet
Ingres/OpenIngres DBA

2. Middleware ???

3. Problems on NT Ingres 1.201 OpenROAD 3.5

4. How do I write a gene

5. US, CA: Database Adminatrator, Windows NT 3.5, Windows NT [RHLA

6. Dynamic SQL - using cursors

7. Ingres II 2.0 & OpenROAD 3.5 Numblock-Problem

8. recruiter has question

9. Access to Ingres 6.4 from 3.party query tool through OpenRoad 3.5

10. OpenRoad 3.5/03 INGRES ERROR: 13762628(Netperformance ???)

11. OPenroad 3.5 & Ingres 2.6

12. OpenROAD 3.5 and Intersolv ODBC on Windows 3.11

13. OpenRoad 3.5/02 on NT