W4GL Soure code management

W4GL Soure code management

Post by Graham Parso » Wed, 01 Mar 1995 05:48:37



A client of mine has a number of developers building a W4GL application
on PC's which will run against the VAX server.

What they want to know is what is the recommended method of source code
control / change control.

Apparently, the bit of W4GL to do this would sit on the server but
costs a number of K.

Has anyone got any ideas of a better (cheaper) method of performing
these tasks ?

Thanx in advance,

--
Graham Parsons
Principal Consultant
Forest Consulting Limited

 
 
 

W4GL Soure code management

Post by Steve Caswe » Wed, 01 Mar 1995 21:56:08



>A client of mine has a number of developers building a W4GL application
>on PC's which will run against the VAX server.

>What they want to know is what is the recommended method of source code
>control / change control.

>Apparently, the bit of W4GL to do this would sit on the server but
>costs a number of K.

I'm not sure I understand this part.  The "bit of W4GL" that does this has
already been paid for and is already sitting on the server.  You cannot develop
W4GL without connecting to an Ingres DBMS server running on some server box
(be it NT, Novell, Unix, or VMS).  It is W4GL itself that uses this DBMS server
as a repository for all the application definition, including the source code.

Change control is dificult in W4GL because as a developer you don't have any
source files to manage, which is what the source/change control managers I
have used are based on.  W4GL does give you the capability of creating separate
versions of applications and components.  These versions are actually different
copies (readonly) of the entity in question.  This allows you to go back to any
particular version of a component when the need arises.  It does not, however,
provide more traditional source code management.

One alternative I've run across is to use the exportapp facility (which comes
with the client W4GL, so it will be on the PC) to create an ASCII file
representation of the entire application, which includes the source code.  This
ASCII file is not terribly useful for particular content, but it could be fed
to a source management system for version control.

A second alternative is to extract the source code from individual components
and feed it to a source manager.  This is a fairly cumbersome task.  In my
Cave of Wonders presentation tools submission I included a 4GL procedure that
will extract the source for a component and write it to a file.  Check the
NAIUA ftp site for this.

Neither of these options really solve the problem you stated, because in both
cases we are using the source manager to pseudo-manage the code after the fact.
CA really needs to rethink the tools and capabilities provided currently in
W4GL.  I conceptually agree with storing the entire application definition in
the database, but they certainly need to strengthen the source code management
area.

Quote:

>Has anyone got any ideas of a better (cheaper) method of performing
>these tasks ?

>Thanx in advance,

>--
>Graham Parsons
>Principal Consultant
>Forest Consulting Limited

--

Steve Caswell           |   (404) 448-7727    |  "The opinions expressed are my

The Palmer Group        |   uunet!tpghq!sfc   |   but they're all I've got."

 
 
 

W4GL Soure code management

Post by Michael E. Meye » Mon, 06 Mar 1995 13:10:10


We are wrestling with this problem too.  What we've decided to do, in
to ensure we capture the form as well as the code (quess we could expo
form too...), to use a separate database which will be controlled by a
Process Manager.  The only problem we face is that we must put it on U
server which has a limited set of users defined in IIDBDB.  Otherwise,
user can simply connect to that db and checkin/out at will.  We'll als
an SCM product (PVCS on HP-UX maybe...) to store scripts, Cobol progra
etc.).  

In 1990 when SAPPHIRE was unveiled, I was very upset with Ingres becau
previous employer had decided to purchase a SCM product and Ingres had
no provisions to interface with _any_ SCM product.  They still irritat
by providing only a partial solution.

Mike

--

Ingres DBA              USMail: 11 Spring Street MS B2-887
Honeywell MICRO SWITCH          Freeport, Il 61032
Sensors and Control     TEL   : (815)266-3030

 
 
 

W4GL Soure code management

Post by Rajendra Jamadag » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 13:45:47


Michael E. Meyer says ,

Quote:

> We are wrestling with this problem too.  What we've decided to do, in
> to ensure we capture the form as well as the code (quess we could expo
> form too...), to use a separate database which will be controlled by a
> Process Manager.  The only problem we face is that we must put it on U
> server which has a limited set of users defined in IIDBDB.  Otherwise,
> user can simply connect to that db and checkin/out at will.  We'll als
> an SCM product (PVCS on HP-UX maybe...) to store scripts, Cobol progra
> etc.).  

        Hi everyone,

                i m newbie on the list. Cud anyone give me some pointers
                about this U server mentioned by michael ?

                thanx

                raj
--
***************************************************************

 
 
 

1. Soure Code Formatter

Is there such a thing as a source code formatter for Foxpro (v2.6)?  If
so, where could I find it from?

Also, FOXDOC generates some useful information, however once you bring it
into any wordprocessor you end up loosing a lot (ie., formatting).  Is
there any program available that will also format this information so
that it can be printed with everything appearing in its proper columns?

Any help that you can provide will be appreciated!

Mohamed

2. Temporal DB survey update and Thanks!

3. Configuration management tools for W4GL

4. mhcomm help please!

5. HELP wanted in W4GL 2.0 regarding source code

6. oracle8i and intermedia

7. Colour coding TableFields in W4GL

8. Paradox for DOS 4.5 Table Full

9. W4GL code in DB

10. I've never seen W4GL code !

11. Missing code in W4GL under solaris

12. code for w4gl 2.0 apps

13. W4GL Config Control or Storing W4GL source out of DB