Getting an error when loading my ActiveX control on another machine

Getting an error when loading my ActiveX control on another machine

Post by Brando » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 06:25:39

OK, here's a problem that has stumped me as well as others
in my dev. team for days now...

I create a simple UserControl (VB 6.0) that makes
referrence to "Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.5" and
uses the ADODB.Command object to communicate with a SQL
database.  The code works fine on my machine but on all
the other machines out on the employee floor they get the
following error:

Error Code: 429
Error: ActiveX component can't create object.

The ActiveX control is being loaded into a web browser,
(getting error on all versions of IE above 5, havent tried
on lower versions as none of available) via the <object>
tag, which follows:

<OBJECT classid="CLSID:98F8CE10-6C06-11D5-A335-
0008C74526E9"
codebase="EmployeeAdmin.CAB#version=1,0,0,22" id=uctrlMain
style="LEFT: 0px; TOP: 0px" VIEWASTEXT>
        <PARAM NAME="_ExtentX" VALUE="15875">
        <PARAM NAME="_ExtentY" VALUE="11959">
</OBJECT>

The CAB file was created with the Package and Deployment
wizard, all required files were set to be included in the
cab (makes the download faster since they are then
downloaded right from our servers instead of microsoft).

After creating the CAB I digitally signed it with the
newest version of the signcode utility.

The error occurs on the line in the code which starts to
use the Command object, that segment of code follows:

Dim cmdMain As New ADODB.Command
cmdMain.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc  <-----

the line with the <----- is the line that SEEMS to be
producing the error.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon

Getting an error when loading my ActiveX control on another machine

Post by Steve Parke » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 02:04:48

The clients on the shop floor have MDAC2.5 installed?

Quote:> OK, here's a problem that has stumped me as well as others
> in my dev. team for days now...

> I create a simple UserControl (VB 6.0) that makes
> referrence to "Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.5" and
> uses the ADODB.Command object to communicate with a SQL
> database.  The code works fine on my machine but on all
> the other machines out on the employee floor they get the
> following error:

> Error Code: 429
> Error: ActiveX component can't create object.

> The ActiveX control is being loaded into a web browser,
> (getting error on all versions of IE above 5, havent tried
> on lower versions as none of available) via the <object>
> tag, which follows:

> <OBJECT classid="CLSID:98F8CE10-6C06-11D5-A335-
> 0008C74526E9"
> codebase="EmployeeAdmin.CAB#version=1,0,0,22" id=uctrlMain
> style="LEFT: 0px; TOP: 0px" VIEWASTEXT>
> <PARAM NAME="_ExtentX" VALUE="15875">
> <PARAM NAME="_ExtentY" VALUE="11959">
> </OBJECT>

> The CAB file was created with the Package and Deployment
> wizard, all required files were set to be included in the
> cab (makes the download faster since they are then
> downloaded right from our servers instead of microsoft).

> After creating the CAB I digitally signed it with the
> newest version of the signcode utility.

> The error occurs on the line in the code which starts to
> use the Command object, that segment of code follows:

> Dim cmdMain As New ADODB.Command
> cmdMain.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc  <-----

> the line with the <----- is the line that SEEMS to be
> producing the error.

> Any thoughts as to why this is happening would be
> appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Brandon

Getting an error when loading my ActiveX control on another machine

Post by Brando » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 04:25:24

Thanks for the reply,
No, most of the employees don't have it installed.  Am I
not correct in assuming that the .cab file should install
mdac for them?  I know that msado15.dll (which shows up as
Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.6 in VB) IS included in
the cab.

Thanks in advance (again),
Brandon

Post by Brando » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 04:37:50

Oh yeah, BTW, I made referrence to Mdac 2.5 in my first
post, and 2.6 in my second, just to clear things up I have
tried BOTH, and both give me the 429 error, (ActiveX
component can't create object).

Thats All =)
Brandon

Post by Steve Parke » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 05:26:40

Brandon,

    I think that the clients will actually need to install MDAC.
Alternatively, you may wish to referenece an early version of mdac in your
activeX object.  For example, we have specified that our user base be
running mdac 2.1 minimum so we reference that tlb in our clients.

Steve

> Thanks for the reply,
> No, most of the employees don't have it installed.  Am I
> not correct in assuming that the .cab file should install
> mdac for them?  I know that msado15.dll (which shows up as
> Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.6 in VB) IS included in
> the cab.

> Thanks in advance (again),
> Brandon

Post by Brando » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 06:03:53

Steve,
    So I take it if they have mdac 2.6 installed and I
reference 2.1 they will still be able to access it? (so is
mdac downward compatible?)

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Brandon,

>    I think that the clients will actually need to
install MDAC.
>Alternatively, you may wish to referenece an early

version of mdac in your
>activeX object.  For example, we have specified that our
user base be
>running mdac 2.1 minimum so we reference that tlb in our
clients.

>Steve

>> Thanks for the reply,
>> No, most of the employees don't have it installed.  Am I
>> not correct in assuming that the .cab file should
install
>> mdac for them?  I know that msado15.dll (which shows up
as
>> Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.6 in VB) IS included in
>> the cab.

>> Thanks in advance (again),
>> Brandon

Post by Steve Parke » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 07:32:14

Yes.  Windows 2000 comes with mdac2.5 and they have no problems with our
controls referencing 2.1

> Steve,
>     So I take it if they have mdac 2.6 installed and I
> reference 2.1 they will still be able to access it? (so is
> mdac downward compatible?)

Post by Barry Barnhoor » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 17:39:45

I have pretty much the same problem. I had the same error
message (429) on ALL machines but my own. My application
is as simple as can be, though. What I tried to do is
pretty much everything, and nothing worked. I am starting
to get a bit desperate now. Thank god I am not on a
deadline or anything :-)

I tried adding MDAC (all different versions seperately) in
the CAB, made the CAB with different install-makers, each
DLL seperately... nothing worked. In fact, now that I
don't include the DLL's, they tell me that while
installing they have a 'problem registering msado15.dll'
or any other version of ADO. WHich is a bad thing, because
my app is built around the recordset object. I tried
including RDO as well, or just RDO. Nothing!

Any suggestion is welcome. However, if it is even remotely
obvious (like re-installing MDAC or VB) I tried it :-(