Fonts & Screen Resolutions

Post by Trust S » Tue, 19 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I developed a program using FoxPro 2.6 for Windows in Windows 3.10 with a
VGA monitor.  When I run the executable on a computer with Windows 95 and
a SVGA monitor I have fonts act strangely on me.  On my development
computer the text takes up the entire window.  On the Windows 95 machine
it only takes 60 to 75% of the screen.  The entire right hand side of the
screen is blank.  All the text is on the left hand side.  Why?  How do
fonts or screen resolutions change things?

I also have a control panel to move among records included with several of
my screens.  On a SVGA monitor it sticks the control panel way off to the
right, no matter what I do.  How does different screen resolutions change
arranging screens.  I have read that some video drivers can change where
screens are arranged, and if this is so how can I get my control panel
where I want it using the same video driver?  My goal is have a program
that will display the same on different screens resolutions.
Trust Software & Consulting
Chris Sherrod

Fonts & Screen Resolutions

Post by Don Fi » Sat, 23 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I developed a program using FoxPro 2.6 for Windows in Windows 3.10 with a
> VGA monitor.  When I run the executable on a computer with Windows 95 and
> a SVGA monitor I have fonts act strangely on me.  On my development
> computer the text takes up the entire window.  On the Windows 95 machine
> it only takes 60 to 75% of the screen.  The entire right hand side of the
> screen is blank.  All the text is on the left hand side.  Why?  How do
> fonts or screen resolutions change things?

It took me a $95 call to MS Tech Support to solve this for myself.
Apparently, the MS Sans Serif 8pt screen font has a "feature" that causes
it to scale improperly at different video resolutions. Hence, any screens
using it as the base font or anywhere on the screen behave erratically.
Sometimes they appear larger at 800x600 than they were at 640x480.

Use MS Sans Serif 10pt as the base screen font (Layout ... Font) and
change all the fonts in your screens to Arial or other basic scalable
font.

-- Don

Ronkonkoma, New York  |  Chemical Week Magazine |        - or -