Access vs Approach vs Paradox vs FilePro vs Filemaker Pro

Access vs Approach vs Paradox vs FilePro vs Filemaker Pro

Post by Joseph Woma » Fri, 17 Nov 1995 04:00:00

How about some dialog out there?  My database is better than your
database...That sort of stuff! Who has tried several databases and now
feels their database is the best, and why? Which of the realtional
databases would you recommend?  Why? What are the limitations of MS
Works? I've tried Superbase & Works & I'm still looking for better.
Joseph L. Womack
295 Buena Vista Rd.
Gloster, LA 71030
Tel: (318)925-0463
Fax: (318)925-9673

Post by Tony Toe » Sun, 19 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>How about some dialog out there?  My database is better than your
>database...That sort of stuff!

Oh my!!!   Now's the time for all the zealots to raise thier heads!
<grin>

Quote:>Who has tried several databases and now
>feels their database is the best, and why? Which of the realtional
>databases would you recommend?  Why?

For end user maintained only simple databases which will never be used
in a critical environment I'd suggest Approach. It's approachable
<grin> and relatively easy to use.  But it's got no power if you want
to do anything the slightest bit fancy.  It is relational.

I like MS Access a lot but then I've been a
programmer/analyst/consultant for 15 years and it's right up my alley.
But it's got it's problems too.  Ie, combo box is slow with a number
of records, etc.

Quote:> What are the limitations of MS
>Works?

Many.  It's flat file only and somewhat awkward and clumsy to use.
OTOH our local, small town Chamber of Commerce manager is successfully
running a 500 name mailing list with it.

Quote:>I've tried Superbase & Works & I'm still looking for better.

Superbase I have no experience in.

Tony
Tony Toews, Independent Computer Consultant
Jack of a few computer related trades and master (or certified) of none.

Post by Ben Scho » Tue, 21 Nov 1995 04:00:00

JW> How about some dialog out there?  My database is better than your
JW> database...That sort of stuff! Who has tried several databases and n
JW> feels their database is the best, and why?

<shrug> I like working with Approach. It's easy to handle, gives me
enough flexibility to do most of what I want and is fairly fast for a
GUI database.

The manual sucks and there isn't a lot of third-party books on it (one
or two decent ones that I've found) but otherwise....

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr                                   21000 Osborne, #6
Director of Operations                          Canoga Park, CA. 91304
Watson/Schorr Consulting                        (818) 993-8640

* RM 1.31 1663 * "Mine *IS* to reason why." - Plato-

Access vs Approach vs Paradox vs FilePro vs Filemaker Pro

Post by R. McKim Deega » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I believe that Approach lacks the data integrity of even Paradox, and CERTAINLY
of Access.  Access is simply the best, fattest, most powerful off-the-shelf package
of its kind.  The fact that it's a hog is becoming increasingly irrelevant with
133MHz pentiums and 16 MB ram...

1. HELP Paradox vs Access vs Foxpro vs ????????????

Looking for a database for my PC application, and I am considering the
following ones:

1.  Paradox
2.  Access
3.  Foxpro

Could someone who has experience with these databases please tell me
about:

1.  Whether they are object-oriented, hirearchial or relational?
2.  What the reporting capabilities are like
3.  How easy they are to interface with your application using C++
4.  Built-in forms interface?  Modifiable?
5.  Any other Pros/cons or any other suggested databases (low-cost preferred)?

Thank you for your help!

* Dianne D. Ferrans            ! I like to make everyone's day a little    *
* Sr. Software Stylist         ! more surreal                              *

When work is a pleasure, life is a joy!
When work is a duty, life is slavery.

     - Maxim Gorky -

2. Help (images)

3. Paradox vs Access vs Approach

4. Paradox 7 runtime for Win 3

5. Filemaker Pro 5.0 vs 5.5 and FMDeveloper 5.0 vs 5.5

6. Paradox 5 Consultant

7. Access vs SQL Server vs Sybase vs Oracle

8. Access vs Approach vs Alpha V

9. MySQL Vs Access Vs FileMaker

10. Performance Paradox vs Access vs Other

11. Paradox Vs. Access vs FoxPro

12. Access vs Paradox vs dBase IV