ADD attributes to the existing table

Post by Roy Han » Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I am a new CA-OpenIngres user.  I have a questions about SQL:

> In Oracle SQL, there is a command "alter table" allowing the users to
> add one or more attributes to the existing table.  I think this is a
> standard SQL command.  But in CA-OpenIngres SQL "alter table" only
> allows the users to change the constraints from existing tables.
> Someone has some ideas about how to change the attributes in the
> existing table in CA-OpenIngres.

Most of us long-time CA-Ingres users are too polite to go on mentioning
our favorite RDBMS's terrible deformity in this area.  The sad fact is
CA-OpenIngres has no such thing.  We either use copydb and hack the
resulting copy.in script, or we join the NAIUA (an excellent notion!) by

maintenance utility from the NAIUA tool archive.

BKB Engineering Ltd.,                      NAIUA Member
11211-76th Avenue,
Edmonton, Alberta                          http://www.tnc.com/bkb
T6G 0K2                                    Tel: (403)497-2409
Canada                                     FAX: (403)436-6055

ADD attributes to the existing table

Post by Ken Fra » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

[snip]

>CA-OpenIngres has no such thing.  We either use copydb and hack the
>resulting copy.in script, or we join the NAIUA (an excellent notion!) by

>maintenance utility from the NAIUA tool archive.

You *should* join the NAIUA for many reasons, (mine was solely
for the purpose of getting Roy to light a fire under a few "arses"
over at CA's OpenRoad group).  However, I would like to
reiterate that I will be happy to email tblmnt to anyone who asks
for it -- it's FREE software, after all!  Current version is 1.18

Also, I've heard rumors that OpenIngres will have a *useful*
alter-table for 2.0.

Ken Frank

Post by Dennis Ada » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > In Oracle SQL, there is a command "alter table" allowing the users to
> > add one or more attributes to the existing table.  I think this is a
> > standard SQL command.  But in CA-OpenIngres SQL "alter table" only
> > allows the users to change the constraints from existing tables.
> > Someone has some ideas about how to change the attributes in the
> > existing table in CA-OpenIngres.

> Most of us long-time CA-Ingres users are too polite to go on mentioning
> our favorite RDBMS's terrible deformity in this area.  The sad fact is
> CA-OpenIngres has no such thing.  We either use copydb and hack the
> resulting copy.in script, or we join the NAIUA (an excellent notion!) by

> maintenance utility from the NAIUA tool archive.

.. or you could use a third-party tool such as I/DBA from
Common Sense Computing (sorry for the plug, Roy !)

I have also heard a rumour that OpenIngres 2.0 will implement the
*REAL* alter table command - can anyone confirm this ?

--
Dennis

Common Sense Computing (UK) Ltd http://www.comsense.com/comsense
Canada House, 272 Field End Rd, Eastcote, Middx HA4 9NA
Phone: +44 181 866 4400         Fax: +44 181 429 4778

Post by Robert Griffith {72187 » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I have also heard a rumour that OpenIngres 2.0 will implement the
> *REAL* alter table command - can anyone confirm this ?

I have attended 2 or 3 different sessions given by CA personnel
concerning OpenIngres 2.0 (including at CA World 96), and each
time they have stated very definitely (and with much happiness
from the audience) that alter table WILL be part of this release.

Raytheon Electronic Systems                Phone:  (508) 858-5892
Tewksbury, MA                              FAX:    (508) 858-4336
      Ingres users! Join your national or local users group today!
North American Ingres Users Association:
http://www.naiua.org
New England Ingres Users Association:    http://www.mbcc.mass.edu/neiua/

ADD attributes to the existing table

Post by Karl Schend » Sun, 03 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> ......
> I have also heard a rumour that OpenIngres 2.0 will implement the
> *REAL* alter table command - can anyone confirm this ?

Yes.  ALTER TABLE was announced as a 2.0 feature in New Orleans.
The implementation apparently depends on a version ID in each row,
such that rows not yet ALTER'ed can be detected on-the-fly.  This is
supposed to make it unnecessary to rewrite the entire table at ALTER
time;  instead, the table is ALTER'ed incrementally.  An interesting
idea, and probably a lifesaver for the data-warehouse folks.

Karl Schendel
Telesis Computer Corp.

Post by Lucky Leavel » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> > I am a new CA-OpenIngres user.  I have a questions about SQL:

> > In Oracle SQL, there is a command "alter table" allowing the users to
> > add one or more attributes to the existing table.  I think this is a
> > standard SQL command.  But in CA-OpenIngres SQL "alter table" only
> > allows the users to change the constraints from existing tables.
> > Someone has some ideas about how to change the attributes in the
> > existing table in CA-OpenIngres.

> Most of us long-time CA-Ingres users are too polite to go on mentioning
> our favorite RDBMS's terrible deformity in this area.  The sad fact is
> CA-OpenIngres has no such thing.  We either use copydb and hack the
> resulting copy.in script, or we join the NAIUA (an excellent notion!) by

> maintenance utility from the NAIUA tool archive.

Roy, et al,
    Isn't a true ALTER TABLE one of the major enhancements slated for
OI2.0, along with a variable page size?

Keep warm,
Lucky

Lucky Leavell                      Phone: (800) 481-2393  or  (812) 945-6555
UniXpress - Your Source for SCO      FAX: (812) 949-9233

New Albany, IN 47150-2013                 71534,2674 (CompuServe)
WWW Home Page:  http://www.UniXpress.com   ftp://www.iglou.com/members/ris
Ask about special Lone-Tar/SarCheck Bundle simplifying Backups and Tuning

Post by Lucky Leavel » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> .. or you could use a third-party tool such as I/DBA from
> Common Sense Computing (sorry for the plug, Roy !)

Or fix schemadef so it works under OI 1.x ...

Quote:> I have also heard a rumour that OpenIngres 2.0 will implement the
> *REAL* alter table command - can anyone confirm this ?

Yes, it is one of the three major features added in OI2 (along with
variable page sizes and row level locking).

Thank you,
Lucky

Lucky Leavell                      Phone: (800) 481-2393  or  (812) 945-6555
UniXpress - Your Source for SCO      FAX: (812) 949-9233

New Albany, IN 47150-2013                 71534,2674 (CompuServe)
WWW Home Page:  http://www.UniXpress.com   ftp://www.iglou.com/members/ris
Ask about special Lone-Tar/SarCheck Bundle simplifying Backups and Tuning

1. ADD attributes to the existing table

I am a new CA-OpenIngres user.  I have a questions about SQL:

In Oracle SQL, there is a command "alter table" allowing the users to
add one or more attributes to the existing table.  I think this is a
standard SQL command.  But in CA-OpenIngres SQL "alter table" only
allows the users to change the constraints from existing tables.
Someone has some ideas about how to change the attributes in the
existing table in CA-OpenIngres.

Thanks in advance.

                            Stephen Yuan Jiang

ADVANCED DATABASE APPLICATIONS LAB | Lab Phone:         (801)-378-5815
3354 TMCB                          | Office Phone:      (801)-378-7617
Department of Computer Science     | Home Phone:        (801)-377-3577

Provo, UT 84602                    | Homepage:
http://lantern.cs.byu.edu/~jiang

2. Login/User Problem w/ Backup & Restore

3. How to modified existing field and add new field in existing table for Access database

4. Newbie:How to start using Delphi

5. Problems with adding new attribute to table and file sizes

6. Searching for a value in several fields

7. Add Comments Attribute for Design Table

8. Someone added an attribute to my table, who!

9. Add Existing Data File To Existing Database?

10. Adding field defaults on existing tables