Back-Up Over Multiple CDs

Post by jrsta.. » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

When using the backup utilities for DB2 Control Center, I attempted to
backup a database onto a floppy disk to verify that it would prompt me
for disk 2 and so forth.
Unfortunately, the backup just terminated on a disk full error code.
My concern is that my actual database will likely surpass the capacity
of a standard ~.5 GIG CD. Short of buying new hardware...which is not
an option....can backups spread over multiple disks? If so what
utility and/or source code is required?
I would also appreciate some comments as to the strategy of creating
replica databases on different CDs and just copying X unique records to
each database instead of doing a REAL backup. I do not use datalinks in
my database.
Thanks,
jrstaple

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Back-Up Over Multiple CDs

Post by Kelly D. Rodge » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

DB2 is definitely is capable of splitting a backup image across multiple
devices.  There are a couple of ways to accomplish this:

(1) Backup to multiple destinations in parallel by using the "backup ...
to path1, path2, path3, ..." syntax.  You can do this directly to the
final backup media, or possibly perform the backups to some media, and
later migrate the image to another media for longer term storage.

(2) Backup to a removable media like you're doing and we'll prompt once
each media is full.

The important point when doing this is that I/O in a DB2 backup is done
in blocks of the selected buffer size (which defaults to 1024 pages -->
4MB).  At least one of these buffers must fit on the target device or
DB2 will never be able to make progress while writing to that device.

Since the buffer size is tunable from a minimum of 8 pages (32kB), you
can get this to work for just about any device.  I just created an empty
database and tried this myself.

------------------------------
D:\sqllib\bin>db2 backup db kdr to a:
SQL2059W  A device full warning was encountered on device "a:\".
Do you want to continue(c), terminate this device only(d), abort the
utility(t)
? (c/d/t) c
SQL2059W  A device full warning was encountered on device "a:\".
Do you want to continue(c), terminate this device only(d), abort the
utility(t)
? (c/d/t) c

... <this will never complete> ...

SQL2059W  A device full warning was encountered on device "a:\".
Do you want to continue(c), terminate this device only(d), abort the
utility(t)
? (c/d/t) t
SQL2001N  The utility was interrupted.  The output data may be
incomplete.

D:\sqllib\bin>db2 backup db kdr to a: buffer 8
SQL2059W  A device full warning was encountered on device "a:\".
Do you want to continue(c), terminate this device only(d), abort the
utility(t)
? (c/d/t) c
SQL2059W  A device full warning was encountered on device "a:\".
Do you want to continue(c), terminate this device only(d), abort the
utility(t)
? (c/d/t) c
SQL2059W  A device full warning was encountered on device "a:\".
Do you want to continue(c), terminate this device only(d), abort the
utility(t)
? (c/d/t) c

Backup successful. The timestamp for this backup image is :
20000314112424

> When using the backup utilities for DB2 Control Center, I attempted to
> backup a database onto a floppy disk to verify that it would prompt me
> for disk 2 and so forth.
> Unfortunately, the backup just terminated on a disk full error code.
> My concern is that my actual database will likely surpass the capacity
> of a standard ~.5 GIG CD. Short of buying new hardware...which is not
> an option....can backups spread over multiple disks? If so what
> utility and/or source code is required?
> I would also appreciate some comments as to the strategy of creating
> replica databases on different CDs and just copying X unique records to
> each database instead of doing a REAL backup. I do not use datalinks in
> my database.

| Kelly D. Rodger                 DB2 Universal Database Development |
| Team Lead - Backup and Recovery                         IBM Canada |

1. Using CD-R,CD-RW as Backup Device in Sql Server

Hello,
  I Have been using the normal DAT/DLT devices for my back
up and now I want to Shift my back up device to CD-
Media.Does Sql Server Supports BAckup in CD,DVD etc?If yes
I would also like to know whether the back up process will
continue in the next disk once the first disk gets
full.B'cos the database size is over 1gb and obviously it
won't fit into a single CD.Your answers will be very
helpfull for me.
Regards
Senthil.

2. Where to D/L SQL 7?

3. Multiple query lock-ups

4. MSDE Install

5. creating multiple incremental b'ups

6. ADO Error - Is it a version conflict?

7. Back-ups

8. CLOB displaying incorrectly in sqlplus

9. Copyng Back Ups ?

10. SQL Server 6.5 Back ups

11. Converting full database back-ups to Flat Files

12. scheduled back-ups

13. best way to make incremental back-ups?