Table Limit with DB2 Connect to DB2 for OS/390

Table Limit with DB2 Connect to DB2 for OS/390

Post by Perry R Shind » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 05:29:15

In a COBOL program running on DB2 for OS/390 V7 we execute an SQL stmt
that references more than 15 tables - no problem.  We recently took a
similar statement and ran it thru an ODBC data source on a DB2 Client
(V7) and DB2 Connect V7 w/FP6) to the same set of tables in DB2 for
OS/390 V7 and promptly received an SQL0129N error message that states:

SQL0129N The statement contains too many table names (the maximum is
15).

Explanation: The SQL statement contains toomany table names. A single
SQL statement can reference up to 15 tables. Each table in any view
referenced is included in this limit. The statement cannot be
processed.

User Response: Break the SQL statement into two or more simple
statements with 15 or fewer table references.  This message is only
applicable to Version 1.2
servers and earlier, and hosts accessed through DB2 Connect.

So my question is: Why does this inconsistency exist?  I thought both
DB2 Connect and DB2 for OS/390 are written to same SQL / DRDA spec.
Will this limit be increased with either DB2 Connect V8 or DB2 for
z/OS V8 ?  If not, what is the limiting product / architecture?

Thanks in advance.

Perry R. Shindle
Sr. Consultant
BearingPoint, Inc.
Harrisburg, PA

1. Import DELimited File Format Files to DB2 for OS/390 Tables with DB2 Connect

Hello,

It sounds like a simple task- but in reality it is'nt:

Various sources provide us with data in the popular DELimited file format
and we want to import this data to tables on DB2 for OS/390 by means of DB2
Connect (V6.1). The DB2 Connect IMPORT Utility supports only IXF format for
remote (DRDA) databases, while the DB2 Connect LOAD Utility does not support
DRDA Databases at all (and in turn, the DB2 for OS/390 LOAD Utility does not
support DEL files...). We tried a work-around using MS Access, but even this
requires additional Visiual Basic coding as well as installation and
licensing MS-Access on many workstations. So my question is, if there is
another simple way or any free distributed tool to achieve loading DEL files
with DB2 Connect. Any hint & tip will be appreciated...

Walter SCHNEIDER
Telekom Austria Informations Technology

2. D3 Linux vs NT support

3. Frontpage with DB2 Connect to OS/390 DB2 ?

4. VB6 Connection To A2K Fails

5. MTS and DB2 Connect to DB2 OS/390

6. www.dba.cl

7. Access to DB2 for OS/390 via DB2 Connect

8. SQL Server over internet

9. DB2 OS/390 crashing after connection via DB2 Connect

10. desire to move data from OS 390 DB2 to AS/400 DB2 using DTS

11. Load data from DB2 in NT to DB2 in OS/390

12. limiting number of package version on DB2 OS/390

13. Creating DB2 SQL Procedures in DB2 version 6 on OS/390 (June 2000 PUT)