Frontpage with DB2 Connect to OS/390 DB2 ?

Frontpage with DB2 Connect to OS/390 DB2 ?

Post by Don Brad » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 10:17:23

Is there any way to use Fronpage with DB2 Connect to OS/390 DB2?

It does not seem to recognize the ODBC driver provoded by DB2 Connect.

Thanks for any response.

Frontpage with DB2 Connect to OS/390 DB2 ?

Post by David Marvi » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 02:21:00

Did you register the catalogued Db2 OS/390 location as a ODBC System or user
DSN?

If you used the Db2 CLient Configuration Assistant, there is a screeen that
allows you do register with ODBC. Else you can us the ODBC DataSource
Administartor to add the DSN for the IBM DB2 ODBC DRIVER

Quote:> Is there any way to use Fronpage with DB2 Connect to OS/390 DB2?

> It does not seem to recognize the ODBC driver provoded by DB2 Connect.

> Thanks for any response.

Frontpage with DB2 Connect to OS/390 DB2 ?

Post by Don Brad » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 13:26:37

Oh yes, I did that.

But Frontpage eveidently does not find the IBM ODBC driver to be acceptable.

Can anyone confirm this issue?

Thanks.

>Did you register the catalogued Db2 OS/390 location as a ODBC System or user
>DSN?

>If you used the Db2 CLient Configuration Assistant, there is a screeen that
>allows you do register with ODBC. Else you can us the ODBC DataSource
>Administartor to add the DSN for the IBM DB2 ODBC DRIVER

>> Is there any way to use Fronpage with DB2 Connect to OS/390 DB2?

>> It does not seem to recognize the ODBC driver provoded by DB2 Connect.

>> Thanks for any response.

Frontpage with DB2 Connect to OS/390 DB2 ?

Post by Larr » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 21:36:44

What error message do you receive?

> Oh yes, I did that.

> But Frontpage eveidently does not find the IBM ODBC driver to be acceptable.

> Can anyone confirm this issue?

> Thanks.

> >Did you register the catalogued Db2 OS/390 location as a ODBC System or user
> >DSN?

> >If you used the Db2 CLient Configuration Assistant, there is a screeen that
> >allows you do register with ODBC. Else you can us the ODBC DataSource
> >Administartor to add the DSN for the IBM DB2 ODBC DRIVER

> >> Is there any way to use Fronpage with DB2 Connect to OS/390 DB2?

> >> It does not seem to recognize the ODBC driver provoded by DB2 Connect.

> >> Thanks for any response.

Frontpage with DB2 Connect to OS/390 DB2 ?

Post by Don Brad » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 12:03:40

The DB2 ODBC driver (or sources using it)  simply do not appear in the list
when you go to create a database connection in FrontPage.

>What error message do you receive?

>> Oh yes, I did that.

>> But Frontpage eveidently does not find the IBM ODBC driver to be acceptable.

>> Can anyone confirm this issue?

>> Thanks.

>> >Did you register the catalogued Db2 OS/390 location as a ODBC System or user
>> >DSN?

>> >If you used the Db2 CLient Configuration Assistant, there is a screeen that
>> >allows you do register with ODBC. Else you can us the ODBC DataSource
>> >Administartor to add the DSN for the IBM DB2 ODBC DRIVER

Frontpage with DB2 Connect to OS/390 DB2 ?

Post by Larry Edelstei » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 14:56:49

Did you install Frontpage on the same machine with either the DB2 Connect server or
the DB2 Run-Time Client? Those components contain the DB2 ODBC drivers.

Post by Don Brad » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 15:22:15

>Did you install Frontpage on the same machine with either the DB2 Connect server or
>the DB2 Run-Time Client? Those components contain the DB2 ODBC drivers.

Oh yes.   We use the DB2 ODBC drivers all the time in Access.

However, someone has, very kindly, emailed me instructions on how to use such
an ODBC source in Frontpage by creating a UDL file.   I hope he posts it here.
If not, I will paraphrase it.

Frontpage with DB2 Connect to OS/390 DB2 ?

Post by Samm » Sun, 08 Apr 2001 16:00:52

Instructions were as follows....

I created a datalink .UDL file... (duplicated existing *.UDL file & edit it)
  Provider tab - Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
  Connection tab - Use datasource Name & selected Name of DB2 ODBC
connection (& UserId & Password)
  Advanced Tab - read/write options for the connection

Once I had saved it, I copied it, then pasted it into the web Folder List
Panel

Insert/Database/Results
Use New Database Connection / Create
Add new database in Web Settings & use "Custom Definition"
Browse for the file (Changing file type to UDL)
Select the UDL you created - and continue with the rest of the wizard

Regards

Sammy !!

(ps....Sammy is short for Samantha !!)

> >Did you install Frontpage on the same machine with either the DB2 Connect
server or
> >the DB2 Run-Time Client? Those components contain the DB2 ODBC drivers.

> Oh yes.   We use the DB2 ODBC drivers all the time in Access.

> However, someone has, very kindly, emailed me instructions on how to use
such
> an ODBC source in Frontpage by creating a UDL file.   I hope he posts it
here.
> If not, I will paraphrase it.

1. Table Limit with DB2 Connect to DB2 for OS/390

In a COBOL program running on DB2 for OS/390 V7 we execute an SQL stmt
that references more than 15 tables - no problem.  We recently took a
similar statement and ran it thru an ODBC data source on a DB2 Client
(V7) and DB2 Connect V7 w/FP6) to the same set of tables in DB2 for
OS/390 V7 and promptly received an SQL0129N error message that states:

SQL0129N The statement contains too many table names (the maximum is
15).

Explanation: The SQL statement contains toomany table names. A single
SQL statement can reference up to 15 tables. Each table in any view
referenced is included in this limit. The statement cannot be
processed.

User Response: Break the SQL statement into two or more simple
statements with 15 or fewer table references.  This message is only
applicable to Version 1.2
servers and earlier, and hosts accessed through DB2 Connect.

So my question is: Why does this inconsistency exist?  I thought both
DB2 Connect and DB2 for OS/390 are written to same SQL / DRDA spec.
Will this limit be increased with either DB2 Connect V8 or DB2 for
z/OS V8 ?  If not, what is the limiting product / architecture?

Thanks in advance.

Perry R. Shindle
Sr. Consultant
BearingPoint, Inc.
Harrisburg, PA

2. Debugger just executes the SP, no stepping possible

3. Import DELimited File Format Files to DB2 for OS/390 Tables with DB2 Connect

4. Sequential number/letter (36 values per character) generation

5. MTS and DB2 Connect to DB2 OS/390

6. Oracle Message: How do I get rid of it?

7. Access to DB2 for OS/390 via DB2 Connect

8. Job and FTP programs

9. DB2 OS/390 crashing after connection via DB2 Connect

10. desire to move data from OS 390 DB2 to AS/400 DB2 using DTS

11. Load data from DB2 in NT to DB2 in OS/390

12. Creating DB2 SQL Procedures in DB2 version 6 on OS/390 (June 2000 PUT)

13. DB2 Conenct & DB2 on OS/390