db2 list tablespaces show detail

Post by Eric Herbe » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:52:25

Hello,

does anybody know if it is possible to get number of
free pages listed by the command "db2 list tablespaces show detail"
directly from the data-dictionary ?

There is a table called "sysibm.tablespaces" but the
information about the number of free pages seems not
to be available.

For monitoring purposes I would prefer an SQL-Query of the
data-dictionary to get the number of free pages.
With Informix you can do it using the sysmaster-database
(Tables: sysdbspaces/syschunks).

Is there something comparable in DB2 (Unix) ?

We are using DMS tablespaces (raw devices).

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Eric

db2 list tablespaces show detail

Post by Paul Redd » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 01:34:51

Eric,

I believe this info is not available via the catalog.

I have a simple ksh script which puts the list tablespace output into
a table (+ timestamp, partition info)

This allows for easy trend analysis etc... subsequently.

Paul.

> Hello,

> does anybody know if it is possible to get number of
> free pages listed by the command "db2 list tablespaces show detail"
> directly from the data-dictionary ?

> There is a table called "sysibm.tablespaces" but the
> information about the number of free pages seems not
> to be available.

> For monitoring purposes I would prefer an SQL-Query of the
> data-dictionary to get the number of free pages.
> With Informix you can do it using the sysmaster-database
> (Tables: sysdbspaces/syschunks).

> Is there something comparable in DB2 (Unix) ?

> We are using DMS tablespaces (raw devices).

> Thank you in advance.

> Best regards

> Eric

db2 list tablespaces show detail

Post by Philip Sherma » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:47:09

I use a JAVA program that transcribes the "list tablespaces show detail"
output to a table. It also prepares a historical comparative space use
report. An  additional table contains trigger limits that control a
secondary output that is mailed to the DBAs pagers & cell phones.

Philip Sherman

Post by Vikra » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:00:01

> Eric,

> I believe this info is not available via the catalog.

> I have a simple ksh script which puts the list tablespace output into
> a table (+ timestamp, partition info)

> This allows for easy trend analysis etc... subsequently.

> Paul.

> > Hello,

> > does anybody know if it is possible to get number of
> > free pages listed by the command "db2 list tablespaces show detail"
> > directly from the data-dictionary ?

> > There is a table called "sysibm.tablespaces" but the
> > information about the number of free pages seems not
> > to be available.

> > For monitoring purposes I would prefer an SQL-Query of the
> > data-dictionary to get the number of free pages.
> > With Informix you can do it using the sysmaster-database
> > (Tables: sysdbspaces/syschunks).

> > Is there something comparable in DB2 (Unix) ?

> > We are using DMS tablespaces (raw devices).

> > Thank you in advance.

> > Best regards

> > Eric

Paul,
If possible , can I have copy of this script. My idea to put these
'numbers' in a worksheet.

Thanks,
VKG

Post by Paul Redd » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:06:13

> > Eric,

> > I believe this info is not available via the catalog.

> > I have a simple ksh script which puts the list tablespace output into
> > a table (+ timestamp, partition info)

> > This allows for easy trend analysis etc... subsequently.

> > Paul.

> > > Hello,

> > > does anybody know if it is possible to get number of
> > > free pages listed by the command "db2 list tablespaces show detail"
> > > directly from the data-dictionary ?

> > > There is a table called "sysibm.tablespaces" but the
> > > information about the number of free pages seems not
> > > to be available.

> > > For monitoring purposes I would prefer an SQL-Query of the
> > > data-dictionary to get the number of free pages.
> > > With Informix you can do it using the sysmaster-database
> > > (Tables: sysdbspaces/syschunks).

> > > Is there something comparable in DB2 (Unix) ?

> > > We are using DMS tablespaces (raw devices).

> > > Thank you in advance.

> > > Best regards

> > > Eric

> Paul,
> If possible , can I have copy of this script. My idea to put these
> 'numbers' in a worksheet.

> Thanks,
> VKG

I have e-mailed you & Eric a copy of the script on an as-is basis.

NB. The nice thing is the script will concurrently collect all the
tablespace info on all the partitions in parallel (and treats EE
as a single parition version of EEE). So, it runs quickly on
large EEE installations.

Post by Jan M. Nelke » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 23:11:11

> I have e-mailed you & Eric a copy of the script on an as-is basis.

Can I have this java program as well? Better yet - could you post it here so others can use it as well?

Jan M. Nelken

nelkenj at attglobal period net

db2 list tablespaces show detail

Post by Mar » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:55:41

If possible could I have the script mailed to me as well? otherwise
can you post it on this site?

thank you

db2 list tablespaces show detail

Post by Paul Redd » Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:24:58

Hi,

I'll willingly post it to this site, can it be done as an attachment?

I don't really want to cut paste the script text?

Paul.

> If possible could I have the script mailed to me as well? otherwise
> can you post it on this site?

> thank you

db2 list tablespaces show detail

Post by <aam.. » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 12:29:47

Note that this is not necessarily cheap.  To provide accurate information
to the user, issuing the "list tablespaces show detail" command
will cause us to free any pending delete extents.  This will result
in page fixing (possibly I/O into the bufferpool of space map pages),
log records being written and so on.
Quote:

>> I believe this info is not available via the catalog.

>> I have a simple ksh script which puts the list tablespace output into
>> a table (+ timestamp, partition info)

>> This allows for easy trend analysis etc... subsequently.

>> Paul.

1. pgsql-server/doc/TODO.detail tablespaces

CVSROOT:        /cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql-server

Modified files:
        doc/TODO.detail: tablespaces

Log message:
        Add to tablespaces discussion.

2. Data Warehouse advice sought- Would you bother???

3. pgsql/doc/TODO.detail mmap tablespaces

4. solving xp_sendmail !! this is a nightmare

5. pgsql/doc/TODO.detail tablespaces

6. I want to know if TAB was pressed by the user

7. Oracle DBA - Berks - V2070

8. View Details window only showing part of SQL

9. Showing index details with \d on psql