SQL1402N Unable to authenticate user due to unexpected...

SQL1402N Unable to authenticate user due to unexpected...

Post by Ed MacDona » Wed, 01 May 2002 21:54:50

Hello all,

I've researched this for a few days and am having no luck getting it
fixed. We are running db2 version 7 on aix 4.3.2 (i believe those are
the proper versions). i have tried running the instance update, and
have checked more file permissions than i care to count. i apologize
for not having taken better notes so that i could be more detailed as
to what i have already done.

something wierd is happening, though, and i hope it might mean
something to someone out there :)

i have a user, we'll call him xyz. when i log into the system as this
user (or su to him), i am able to run the db2 command line utility
just fine (by just typing "db2" ... WITHOUT specifying user and pw on
the command line). however, when i log in as user abc and type the
following command:

db2 connect to the_database user xyz using xyz_password

i get the error in the subject line of this message. this is a big
problem because all of our client software connects to the database as
the user xyz, and none of the software is able to connect.

one morning, it was working just fine, and then it stopped working.
the only thing we can think of that happened between when it was
working fine and when it stopped was that a disk filled up. we cleaned
up the disk but continue to have the problem. maybe something got
corrupted?

thanks,
ed

SQL1402N Unable to authenticate user due to unexpected...

Post by Ed MacDona » Thu, 02 May 2002 01:44:12

forgot to mention....
(i apologize if this message gets to the group after someone already
points it out...)

the problem i described (not being able to connect when using
'user/using' on the command line) happened on the server (not on a
remote client).

and some more info:

db2 "get dbm cfg"

<... snip ...>
 Database manager authentication        (AUTHENTICATION) = SERVER
 Cataloging allowed without authority   (CATALOG_NOAUTH) = NO
 Trust all clients                      (TRUST_ALLCLNTS) = YES
 Trusted client authentication          (TRUST_CLNTAUTH) = CLIENT
<... snip ...>

thanks,
ed

SQL1402N Unable to authenticate user due to unexpected...

Post by Sylv » Thu, 02 May 2002 06:10:40

Ed,

Something probably went wrong on the instance sqllib links.
Why don't you db2stop the instance, then from root user issue
the following command:
/usr/lpp/db2iupdt your-instance_name

Hope this help, Sylv1

Post by Ed MacDona » Thu, 02 May 2002 10:38:43

> Ed,

> Something probably went wrong on the instance sqllib links.
> Why don't you db2stop the instance, then from root user issue
> the following command:
> /usr/lpp/db2iupdt your-instance_name

> Hope this help, Sylv1

Sylv1,

i tried updating the instance already, didn't work :)

i tried it as the instance owner, though, not root. i will try when i
get into work tomorrow as root, but i'm not getting my hopes up.

is there anything else it could be?

thanks,
ed

SQL1402N Unable to authenticate user due to unexpected...

Post by Paul Murph » Thu, 02 May 2002 12:39:44

Hello Ed,

I've seen the same error message on my win clients when they attempt a
connection to DB2 on NT and their account is disabled.  Enabling the
userid and resetting the password typically end up solving the problem.
HTH

Paul Murphy

> Hello all,

> I've researched this for a few days and am having no luck getting it
> fixed. We are running db2 version 7 on aix 4.3.2 (i believe those are
> the proper versions). i have tried running the instance update, and
> have checked more file permissions than i care to count. i apologize
> for not having taken better notes so that i could be more detailed as
> to what i have already done.

> something wierd is happening, though, and i hope it might mean
> something to someone out there :)

> i have a user, we'll call him xyz. when i log into the system as this
> user (or su to him), i am able to run the db2 command line utility
> just fine (by just typing "db2" ... WITHOUT specifying user and pw on
> the command line). however, when i log in as user abc and type the
> following command:

> db2 connect to the_database user xyz using xyz_password

> i get the error in the subject line of this message. this is a big
> problem because all of our client software connects to the database as
> the user xyz, and none of the software is able to connect.

> one morning, it was working just fine, and then it stopped working.
> the only thing we can think of that happened between when it was
> working fine and when it stopped was that a disk filled up. we cleaned
> up the disk but continue to have the problem. maybe something got
> corrupted?

> thanks,
> ed

SQL1402N Unable to authenticate user due to unexpected...

Post by Sylv » Thu, 02 May 2002 19:45:46

Ed,
db2iupdt has to be run from root user, with the instance stop. It is a aix admin
task (like db2icrt). run it as root user.

BTW, if it doen't fix, it's probably anything else ;-)

Sylv1

| Sylv1,
|
| i tried updating the instance already, didn't work :)
|
| i tried it as the instance owner, though, not root. i will try when i
| get into work tomorrow as root, but i'm not getting my hopes up.
|
| is there anything else it could be?
|
| thanks,
| ed

SQL1402N Unable to authenticate user due to unexpected...

Post by Bo » Thu, 02 May 2002 21:10:23

Ed,

we are expierencing similar problem on one of our AIX boxes that has
both V5.2 and V7.2 instances. (they both expierence the same type
problem).

The only difference is that we can do the full syntax:

db2 connect to SOMEDB user USER using PASSWORD
or
db2 connect to SOMEDB

but we cannot do:

db2 connect to SOMEDB user USER

Normally this would prompt for password and connect, but we get the
SQL1402N.

One thing you may want to try is to recreate your
/etc/security/lastlogin log file.  I have seen documented instances
where this file gets corrupted (maybe when your disk filled) and
causes this problem.

To do this, I would make backup copy (cp -p lastlogin lastlogin.bak)
and then just do an '>lastlogin'.

First time someone logins into the aix system you should see the file
grow.  Give that a try; if that dont work i will let u know if i find
anything out.

-Bob

> Hello Ed,

> I've seen the same error message on my win clients when they attempt a
> connection to DB2 on NT and their account is disabled.  Enabling the
> userid and resetting the password typically end up solving the problem.
> HTH

> Paul Murphy

> > Hello all,

> > I've researched this for a few days and am having no luck getting it
> > fixed. We are running db2 version 7 on aix 4.3.2 (i believe those are
> > the proper versions). i have tried running the instance update, and
> > have checked more file permissions than i care to count. i apologize
> > for not having taken better notes so that i could be more detailed as
> > to what i have already done.

> > something wierd is happening, though, and i hope it might mean
> > something to someone out there :)

> > i have a user, we'll call him xyz. when i log into the system as this
> > user (or su to him), i am able to run the db2 command line utility
> > just fine (by just typing "db2" ... WITHOUT specifying user and pw on
> > the command line). however, when i log in as user abc and type the
> > following command:

> > db2 connect to the_database user xyz using xyz_password

> > i get the error in the subject line of this message. this is a big
> > problem because all of our client software connects to the database as
> > the user xyz, and none of the software is able to connect.

> > one morning, it was working just fine, and then it stopped working.
> > the only thing we can think of that happened between when it was
> > working fine and when it stopped was that a disk filled up. we cleaned
> > up the disk but continue to have the problem. maybe something got
> > corrupted?

> > thanks,
> > ed

SQL1402N Unable to authenticate user due to unexpected...

Post by Ed MacDona » Fri, 03 May 2002 03:52:21

<snip>

Quote:> One thing you may want to try is to recreate your
> /etc/security/lastlogin log file.  I have seen documented instances
> where this file gets corrupted (maybe when your disk filled) and
> causes this problem.

> To do this, I would make backup copy (cp -p lastlogin lastlogin.bak)
> and then just do an '>lastlogin'.

<snip>

Quote:> -Bob

that did it! thanks!

and it can all be explained by the only thing we knew about to change
between successful and unsuccessful logins... the file system filling
up. the lastlogin file must have been corrupted.

Paul, Sylv1,
thank you for your help also. bob's fix was easiest, so i tried it
first :)
and it worked! but now i know not to run the instance update as
anything but root anymore ;-)

ed

SQL1402N Unable to authenticate user due to unexpected...

Post by vasilko » Fri, 03 May 2002 15:08:25

Yes, we have the same exact problem and changing db2ckpw permissions to
the following resolve our issues:

-r-s--x--x 1 root instancename 19972 Apr 23 18:46 db2ckpw

as root, issue:

chown root db2ckpw chmod ug+s db2ckpw

You will have slightly different permission that I have, but will
still work.

Rodney