Forcing Case Insensitivity?

Post by Brian Stewa » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 03:22:13

Hello -

Is there a way to force case insensitivity in DB2 without using the
UPPER() or LOWER() functions?

So that "ibm" and "IBM" would evaluate true in a comparison for
example...

TIA -

Brian

Forcing Case Insensitivity?

Post by Serge Riela » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 03:34:16

There is no direct option.
You can take a look at generated column (see CREATE TABLE).
Which might be an alternative (especially if you performance concerns on
UPPER()).

Cheers
Serge
--
Serge Rielau
DB2 UDB SQL Compiler Development

Forcing Case Insensitivity?

Post by Pascal-Marc Gelina » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 00:31:32

You could also define a user defined collating sequence for the whole db
but that's done when you create the db.

If you don't like functions then forget about Translate.
You can use views to uppercase your stuff .

Depends on your need.

PM

1. Forcing case insensitivity

Is there a way to force a database or named source to force case
insensitivity?  The reason that I ask, is that I used to work with a
personal version of SQL Anywhere and it had the option to force case
insensitiviy when the database file was created.

I talked with the DBAs in my company, but nobody seemed to be familiar
with any method.  They all thought that the SELECT statements would have
to be modified to use the upper function.  This is not too feasible
because I am dealing with an client app that will not offer that type of
configurability.

By the way, the Oracle versions in question are 7.3.3 and 8.0.x.

Thanks,

Steve Catmull
IHC

2. Help me ...! ( JDBC and Oracle)

3. Help! Case Insensitivity with SELECT..WHERE..LIKE queries

4. [Fwd: Correct Answer]

5. SAN FRAN. - ORACLE DBA

6. Case sensitivity/insensitivity select...like '%...%'

7. Case Insensitivity

8. Case-insensitivity detected by ODBC Driver

9. Case Insensitivity

10. Case insensitivity and Trims

11. Case insensitivity, and option?