UTIL_IMPACT_LIM

Post by Jean-Marc Blais » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:33:13

 Hi, I've seen in the DBM CFG a new UTIL_IMPACT_LIM set to 100. There is a
(very) short reference of this parameter in the FP2 Release Notes.

I searched the online Information Center with "UTIL_IMPACT_LIM" but nothing
appeared.
Can someone provide more info, like a complete description we should find in
the "configuring DB2 parameters" paragraphs.

Regards,

Jean-Marc

UTIL_IMPACT_LIM

Post by Paul Rea » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 03:14:22

Jean-Marc,
    You need to install the documentation fp2 for more details. But in
simple terms this is used to allocate resources to Utilities. You may
remember in the V8.1 Transition class there was a foil about being able to
throttle back utilities. This is the parameter that provides that facility.

Quote:> Hi, I've seen in the DBM CFG a new UTIL_IMPACT_LIM set to 100. There is a
> (very) short reference of this parameter in the FP2 Release Notes.

> I searched the online Information Center with "UTIL_IMPACT_LIM" but
nothing
> appeared.
> Can someone provide more info, like a complete description we should find
in
> the "configuring DB2 parameters" paragraphs.

> Regards,

> Jean-Marc

UTIL_IMPACT_LIM

Post by Jean-Marc Blais » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 04:17:38

Hi Paul,

I have installed the fp2 documentation, and looked for UTIL_IMPACT_LIM.
Nothing came back from the search. The value set is 100 in the DBM CFG.

To what things is it applied: backup only for now ?

Which range of values can be set and what is the exact meaning ? Let say I
set this value to 50 ?

I would expect at least a definition of this new parameter, exactly like
others I kind find in the administration Performance PDF guide. I looked and
did not see anything.

Regards,

Jean-Marc

> Jean-Marc,
>     You need to install the documentation fp2 for more details. But in
> simple terms this is used to allocate resources to Utilities. You may
> remember in the V8.1 Transition class there was a foil about being able to
> throttle back utilities. This is the parameter that provides that
facility.

> > Hi, I've seen in the DBM CFG a new UTIL_IMPACT_LIM set to 100. There is
> > (very) short reference of this parameter in the FP2 Release Notes.

> > I searched the online Information Center with "UTIL_IMPACT_LIM" but
> nothing
> > appeared.
> > Can someone provide more info, like a complete description we should
find
> in
> > the "configuring DB2 parameters" paragraphs.

> > Regards,

> > Jean-Marc

UTIL_IMPACT_LIM

Post by Blair Adamach » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:54:03

Prior to v8, FP2, Utilities (BACKUP, LOAD etc) had the ability to soak up close
to 100% of CPU time. With BACKUP, LOAD and REORG all supporting online access,
this had the ability to make the online access very limited with respect to
timeslices. So, we've implemented "utilities throttling" - this config parameter
is the first step toward you allowing utilities to run online, but specify how
much they can affect standard workloads, whether they are transactional or
decision support.

Further enhancements (and better documentation and Control Center support) will
follow in future fixpaks, releases (perhaps 8.2) and versions.

This

> Hi Paul,

> I have installed the fp2 documentation, and looked for UTIL_IMPACT_LIM.
> Nothing came back from the search. The value set is 100 in the DBM CFG.

> To what things is it applied: backup only for now ?

> Which range of values can be set and what is the exact meaning ? Let say I
> set this value to 50 ?

> I would expect at least a definition of this new parameter, exactly like
> others I kind find in the administration Performance PDF guide. I looked and
> did not see anything.

> Regards,

> Jean-Marc

> > Jean-Marc,
> >     You need to install the documentation fp2 for more details. But in
> > simple terms this is used to allocate resources to Utilities. You may
> > remember in the V8.1 Transition class there was a foil about being able to
> > throttle back utilities. This is the parameter that provides that
> facility.

> > > Hi, I've seen in the DBM CFG a new UTIL_IMPACT_LIM set to 100. There is
> > > (very) short reference of this parameter in the FP2 Release Notes.

> > > I searched the online Information Center with "UTIL_IMPACT_LIM" but
> > nothing
> > > appeared.
> > > Can someone provide more info, like a complete description we should
> find
> > in
> > > the "configuring DB2 parameters" paragraphs.

> > > Regards,

> > > Jean-Marc

UTIL_IMPACT_LIM

Post by Jean-Marc Blais » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:07:11

Hi Blair,

This ? So for now, can we consider that reducing this parameter to 50 would
reduce the charge to 50% and this is only applicable to the BACKUP command
(I'm guessing from the Release Notes) ? Can you explain more ?

Thanks & Regards,

Jean-Marc

Prior to v8, FP2, Utilities (BACKUP, LOAD etc) had the ability to soak up
close
to 100% of CPU time. With BACKUP, LOAD and REORG all supporting online
access,
this had the ability to make the online access very limited with respect to
timeslices. So, we've implemented "utilities throttling" - this config
parameter
is the first step toward you allowing utilities to run online, but specify
how
much they can affect standard workloads, whether they are transactional or
decision support.

Further enhancements (and better documentation and Control Center support)
will
follow in future fixpaks, releases (perhaps 8.2) and versions.

This

> Hi Paul,

> I have installed the fp2 documentation, and looked for UTIL_IMPACT_LIM.
> Nothing came back from the search. The value set is 100 in the DBM CFG.

> To what things is it applied: backup only for now ?

> Which range of values can be set and what is the exact meaning ? Let say I
> set this value to 50 ?

> I would expect at least a definition of this new parameter, exactly like
> others I kind find in the administration Performance PDF guide. I looked
and
> did not see anything.

> Regards,

> Jean-Marc

> > Jean-Marc,
> >     You need to install the documentation fp2 for more details. But in
> > simple terms this is used to allocate resources to Utilities. You may
> > remember in the V8.1 Transition class there was a foil about being able
> > throttle back utilities. This is the parameter that provides that
> facility.

> > > Hi, I've seen in the DBM CFG a new UTIL_IMPACT_LIM set to 100. There
is
> > > (very) short reference of this parameter in the FP2 Release Notes.

> > > I searched the online Information Center with "UTIL_IMPACT_LIM" but
> > nothing
> > > appeared.
> > > Can someone provide more info, like a complete description we should
> find
> > in
> > > the "configuring DB2 parameters" paragraphs.

> > > Regards,

> > > Jean-Marc

UTIL_IMPACT_LIM

Post by Mick Legar » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 20:44:17

Hi Jean-Marc
here is a bit more info on this config parameter:

http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/data/db2/udb/winos2unix/support/v...

http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/data/db2/udb/winos2unix/support/v...

Mick

> Hi Blair,

> This ? So for now, can we consider that reducing this parameter to 50 would
> reduce the charge to 50% and this is only applicable to the BACKUP command
> (I'm guessing from the Release Notes) ? Can you explain more ?

> Thanks & Regards,

> Jean-Marc

> Prior to v8, FP2, Utilities (BACKUP, LOAD etc) had the ability to soak up
> close
> to 100% of CPU time. With BACKUP, LOAD and REORG all supporting online
> access,
> this had the ability to make the online access very limited with respect to
> timeslices. So, we've implemented "utilities throttling" - this config
> parameter
> is the first step toward you allowing utilities to run online, but specify
> how
> much they can affect standard workloads, whether they are transactional or
> decision support.

> Further enhancements (and better documentation and Control Center support)
> will
> follow in future fixpaks, releases (perhaps 8.2) and versions.

> This

> > Hi Paul,

> > I have installed the fp2 documentation, and looked for UTIL_IMPACT_LIM.
> > Nothing came back from the search. The value set is 100 in the DBM CFG.

> > To what things is it applied: backup only for now ?

> > Which range of values can be set and what is the exact meaning ? Let say I
> > set this value to 50 ?

> > I would expect at least a definition of this new parameter, exactly like
> > others I kind find in the administration Performance PDF guide. I looked
> and
> > did not see anything.

> > Regards,

> > Jean-Marc

> > > Jean-Marc,
> > >     You need to install the documentation fp2 for more details. But in
> > > simple terms this is used to allocate resources to Utilities. You may
> > > remember in the V8.1 Transition class there was a foil about being able
> > > throttle back utilities. This is the parameter that provides that
> > facility.

> is

> > > nothing
> > find
> > > in

UTIL_IMPACT_LIM

Post by Jean-Marc Blais » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 02:55:47

Thanks Mike for pointing out the links.

Jean-Marc

Quote:> Hi Jean-Marc
> here is a bit more info on this config parameter:

http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/data/db2/udb/winos2unix/support/v...
nter.d2w/report?target=mainFrame&fn=r0010968.htm
http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/data/db2/udb/winos2unix/support/v...
nter.d2w/report?target=mainFrame&fn=c0010848.htm

> Mick

> > Hi Blair,

> > This ? So for now, can we consider that reducing this parameter to 50
would
> > reduce the charge to 50% and this is only applicable to the BACKUP
command
> > (I'm guessing from the Release Notes) ? Can you explain more ?

> > Thanks & Regards,

> > Jean-Marc

message