restoring a 7.2 db onto an 8.1 system

Post by Ale » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:50:31

Hi all,
I currently have a DB located on a DB/2 7.2 linux system that I would
like to migrate to an 8.1fp2 system.( different physical systems)

If I take a backup of the original 7.2 system ( whichI have done ),
Can i restore the db onto an 8.1 fp2 system:?

The backup file is a (small) 700Mbyte file and the source clienet
server is at the other (slow) end of a 128K isdn system.

.. or would I be better installing 8.1 on the 7.2 system, updating the
database to version 8.1 and then backing it up in 8.1 format?

TIA
alex

restoring a 7.2 db onto an 8.1 system

Post by Mark » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:57:49

Quote:> Hi all,
> I currently have a DB located on a DB/2 7.2 linux system that I would
> like to migrate to an 8.1fp2 system.( different physical systems)

> If I take a backup of the original 7.2 system ( whichI have done ),
> Can i restore the db onto an 8.1 fp2 system:?

> The backup file is a (small) 700Mbyte file and the source clienet
> server is at the other (slow) end of a 128K isdn system.

> .. or would I be better installing 8.1 on the 7.2 system, updating the
> database to version 8.1 and then backing it up in 8.1 format?

> TIA
> alex

I think it would work, but not absolutely sure. I don't think it would hurt
to try. Be sure to read the 8.1 and FP2 installation instructions for any
programs that need to be run on the old databases after you restore them.

restoring a 7.2 db onto an 8.1 system

Post by Larry Menar » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:53:17

   Yup, it should work.  And as Mark said, it can't hurt to try, as long as
you know the backup is good.
--
Larry Menard
IBM Workstation Database (DB2) Performance Team

> > Hi all,
> > I currently have a DB located on a DB/2 7.2 linux system that I would
> > like to migrate to an 8.1fp2 system.( different physical systems)

> > If I take a backup of the original 7.2 system ( whichI have done ),
> > Can i restore the db onto an 8.1 fp2 system:?

> > The backup file is a (small) 700Mbyte file and the source clienet
> > server is at the other (slow) end of a 128K isdn system.

> > .. or would I be better installing 8.1 on the 7.2 system, updating the
> > database to version 8.1 and then backing it up in 8.1 format?

> > TIA
> > alex

> I think it would work, but not absolutely sure. I don't think it would
hurt
> to try. Be sure to read the 8.1 and FP2 installation instructions for any
> programs that need to be run on the old databases after you restore them.

restoring a 7.2 db onto an 8.1 system

Post by Tomas Hall » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 03:26:33

Yes, you can.  DB2 will issue the MIGRATE DATABASE command under the
covers during the restore.

/T

Tomas Hallin
Database Administration
Robert Half International
Pleasanton, CA

> Hi all,
> I currently have a DB located on a DB/2 7.2 linux system that I would
> like to migrate to an 8.1fp2 system.( different physical systems)

> If I take a backup of the original 7.2 system ( whichI have done ),
> Can i restore the db onto an 8.1 fp2 system:?

> The backup file is a (small) 700Mbyte file and the source clienet
> server is at the other (slow) end of a 128K isdn system.

> .. or would I be better installing 8.1 on the 7.2 system, updating the
> database to version 8.1 and then backing it up in 8.1 format?

> TIA
> alex

restoring a 7.2 db onto an 8.1 system

Post by Blair Kenneth Adamach » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 03:56:36

In addition to what Tom, Larry and Mark say, the backup on the older level
system should be an offline backup if you're going to change version
levels.

> Hi all,
> I currently have a DB located on a DB/2 7.2 linux system that I would
> like to migrate to an 8.1fp2 system.( different physical systems)

> If I take a backup of the original 7.2 system ( whichI have done ),
> Can i restore the db onto an 8.1 fp2 system:?

> The backup file is a (small) 700Mbyte file and the source clienet
> server is at the other (slow) end of a 128K isdn system.

> .. or would I be better installing 8.1 on the 7.2 system, updating the
> database to version 8.1 and then backing it up in 8.1 format?

> TIA
> alex

restoring a 7.2 db onto an 8.1 system

Post by Brice Avi » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 06:46:42

Is this supported? Will technical support allow this type of upgrade restore?

Brice Avila
Minneapolis, Minnesota

> Yes, you can.  DB2 will issue the MIGRATE DATABASE command under the
> covers during the restore.

> /T

> Tomas Hallin
> Database Administration
> Robert Half International
> Pleasanton, CA

> > Hi all,
> > I currently have a DB located on a DB/2 7.2 linux system that I would
> > like to migrate to an 8.1fp2 system.( different physical systems)

> > If I take a backup of the original 7.2 system ( whichI have done ),
> > Can i restore the db onto an 8.1 fp2 system:?

> > The backup file is a (small) 700Mbyte file and the source clienet
> > server is at the other (slow) end of a 128K isdn system.

> > .. or would I be better installing 8.1 on the 7.2 system, updating the
> > database to version 8.1 and then backing it up in 8.1 format?

> > TIA
> > alex

restoring a 7.2 db onto an 8.1 system

Post by Blair Kenneth Adamach » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:00:37

Yes - if you read the description of RESTORE in the manuals it says:

"This utility can also be used to restore backup images that were produced by the previous two versions of DB2.
If a migration is required, it will be invoked automatically at the end of the restore operation. "