Db2 Default Instance

Post by GWA » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

"Before using DB2, the database environment for each user must be updated
so that it can access an instance and run the DB2 programs. This applies to
all users (including administrative users).

On UNIX operating systems, sample script files are provided to help you set
the database environment. "

I'm using NT, where can I find these sample scripts?  or what should they
look like?

Thanks

-----------------
GWA
-----------------

Db2 Default Instance

Post by David Sharp » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
Since UNIX is multi-user and can have multiple versions of a single software
simultaniosly installed and running, each user must be configured to run in the

correct database environment.

Whereas, NT is single user and does not allow simultaneous install/running of
the same software. So no scripts are normally required for nt.

When db2 is installed, the system and user environment variables should be
(automaticly) configured to use the installed version...

ummm. If this post is related to your other question about table name length:
then
it sounds to me like you need to 'connect' to the new v6.1 database that you
have
installed and created (where ever it may reside). You can use the Client
Configuration Assistant to assist you making the connection. I think that the
command center displays some info about which databases are available.

Hope this helps,
David.

> "Before using DB2, the database environment for each user must be updated
> so that it can access an instance and run the DB2 programs. This applies to
> all users (including administrative users).

> On UNIX operating systems, sample script files are provided to help you set
> the database environment. "

> I'm using NT, where can I find these sample scripts?  or what should they
> look like?

> Thanks

> -----------------
> GWA
> -----------------

Db2 Default Instance

Post by Blair Kenneth Adamach » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

The default instance that gets created when you install on NT is called DB2.
You can list all instances with db2ilist.  You can check the instance set in:
Control Panel
    System
           Environment
And look at the setting of DB2INSTANCE.  As Dave says, on NT, all instances
must be at the same level of DB2.  On Unix, we can support instances at
different version (not release) levels.

> "Before using DB2, the database environment for each user must be updated
> so that it can access an instance and run the DB2 programs. This applies to
> all users (including administrative users).

> On UNIX operating systems, sample script files are provided to help you set
> the database environment. "

> I'm using NT, where can I find these sample scripts?  or what should they
> look like?

> Thanks

> -----------------
> GWA
> -----------------

1. SQL CLustering default instance vs. virtual instance

I have installed a SQL 2000 cluster on a virtual server.
I have not installed a local server nor a default
instance. I am attempting to install a 2nd virtual server
and install hangs after entering the name and IP of the
second virtual server. Do I need a default instance
before installing an additional virtual server? I have
checked our DNS and IP and they are assigned to the
virtual instance I am attempting to install. I also have
the physical disk setup in a resource group in cluster
administrator. I have duplicated the process that was
used in the first virtual server install?? Anyone have
any ideas? Thanks, Lisa

2. HELP! FPW 2.6 problem on showing picture due insufficient memory

3. Reinstalling default instance in multi instance cluster

4. Help for a beginner?

5. Default instance to a named instance?

6. DAO <-> ADO

7. Installing Default instance after named instance

8. VB Database Tools problem

9. changing named instance to default instance

10. SQL2000 Named Instance to Default Instance

11. Do the Named SQL Server Instances Listen at the Same port as Default Instances

12. Is SQL server instance the default or a named instance

13. Uninstall default instance without affecting named instance