DB2 7.2 64/32 bits connectivity?

DB2 7.2 64/32 bits connectivity?

Post by Peter Bonc » Tue, 15 May 2001 22:07:37



Dear DB2 Guri,

In the original DB2 7.1 release on 64-bits platforms, a number of restrictions
were imposed regarding connectivity. In particular, it was impossible to connect
with a 64-bits client to a 32-bits DB2 server, and vice versa.

see: www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/data/db2/udb/winos2unix/support/document.d...

I have good reasons to port my application to 64-bit on AIX, but I want to keep
connecting to existing DB2 data sources that are 32-bits. This has held me back
from doing the port for the time being.

Now 7.2 is out, and the 'what's new booklet' mentions again the fact that 64-bits
applications on AIX, Solaris and HP-UX can use DB2. But, what's new here exactly?

see: www.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/pdfs/db2v72whatsnew.pdf

now, my *question*:

        does anyone know whether connecting from a 64-bits application to 32-bits DB2 will work?

I fear it still won't. Still, this is rather important to me. If it would work, I
suppose you would need to link your application with the 7.2 client libraries
(64-bits version), but is it necessary that the 32-bits DB2 is version 7.2 or would
this even work with older DB2 server versions (in other words, do I need to somehow
convince all my data sources to upgrade to 7.2)?

many thanks,

Peter Boncz

software architect
Data Distilleries BV
www.datadistilleries.com

 
 
 

DB2 7.2 64/32 bits connectivity?

Post by Blair Kenneth Adamach » Wed, 16 May 2001 00:50:21


Nothing is new for 64-bit in 7.2 except:
1. you get 64-bit without a fixpak
2. we have Windows AWE support for large memory bufferpools in the 32-bit world.

Until Version 8, your scenario will require DRDA (DB2 Connect) or a three tier app like SAP, where a DB2
client with the same bitness as the database engine mediates between the database and the application on the
3rd tier.


> Dear DB2 Guri,

> In the original DB2 7.1 release on 64-bits platforms, a number of restrictions
> were imposed regarding connectivity. In particular, it was impossible to connect
> with a 64-bits client to a 32-bits DB2 server, and vice versa.

> see: www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/data/db2/udb/winos2unix/support/document.d...

> I have good reasons to port my application to 64-bit on AIX, but I want to keep
> connecting to existing DB2 data sources that are 32-bits. This has held me back
> from doing the port for the time being.

> Now 7.2 is out, and the 'what's new booklet' mentions again the fact that 64-bits
> applications on AIX, Solaris and HP-UX can use DB2. But, what's new here exactly?

> see: www.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/pdfs/db2v72whatsnew.pdf

> now, my *question*:

>         does anyone know whether connecting from a 64-bits application to 32-bits DB2 will work?

> I fear it still won't. Still, this is rather important to me. If it would work, I
> suppose you would need to link your application with the 7.2 client libraries
> (64-bits version), but is it necessary that the 32-bits DB2 is version 7.2 or would
> this even work with older DB2 server versions (in other words, do I need to somehow
> convince all my data sources to upgrade to 7.2)?

> many thanks,

> Peter Boncz

> software architect
> Data Distilleries BV
> www.datadistilleries.com


 
 
 

DB2 7.2 64/32 bits connectivity?

Post by Darin McBrid » Wed, 16 May 2001 09:13:08



>I have good reasons to port my application to 64-bit on AIX, but I want to keep
>connecting to existing DB2 data sources that are 32-bits. This has held me back
>from doing the port for the time being.

I believe that part of the purpose of 64-bit DB2 in v7 is to make it
available so that you can do your port now, and when v8 comes out it should
be very low cost to upgrade, allowing your product(s) to be 64-bit enabled
much sooner after the 64-bit restrictions are lifted.
 
 
 

DB2 7.2 64/32 bits connectivity?

Post by David Lloyd-Jone » Wed, 16 May 2001 15:13:40



> Dear DB2 Guri,

Guritachi, shurely?

                             -dlj.

Peter,

To answer your larger question, it will bring the art of "thunking" to a
whole new level.

Here's the question I haven't seen answered yet, but perhaps somebody can
fill me in: obviously we need 64 bits to get past the date crisis in 2039 or
whenever, when 32-bit time rolls over; but is it any use for any other
reason?

For any conceivable use, aren't almost all the high bits going to be zeroes,
not because zero is the information content but because nobody has anything
useful to put in numbers that big?

                                                                        -d.

 
 
 

DB2 7.2 64/32 bits connectivity?

Post by David Lloyd-Jone » Wed, 16 May 2001 19:10:26



Quote:> I believe that part of the purpose of 64-bit DB2 in v7 is to make it
> available so that you can do your port now, and when v8 comes out it
should
> be very low cost to upgrade, allowing your product(s) to be 64-bit enabled
> much sooner after the 64-bit restrictions are lifted.

Darrin,

For anyone who is thinking 64-bit in the immediate future, Intel are
trucking out both code and good professional help by the tape-mile.

Other people have more serious problems, but if that one is yours, a good
place to look might start at http://developer.intel.com/design/

                                                                  -dlj.

 
 
 

DB2 7.2 64/32 bits connectivity?

Post by Blair Kenneth Adamach » Wed, 16 May 2001 21:20:10


A 32-bit application is able to address only 4 GB of memory.  A 64-bit
application can address more.  With large machines that have more than 4 GB of
real memory, a good way to get an entire table in memory is to use an
application like the 64-bit version of  DB2 that can address the extra memory.

The benefits of 64-bit outside the database world are probably less.



> > Dear DB2 Guri,

> Guritachi, shurely?

>                              -dlj.

> Peter,

> To answer your larger question, it will bring the art of "thunking" to a
> whole new level.

> Here's the question I haven't seen answered yet, but perhaps somebody can
> fill me in: obviously we need 64 bits to get past the date crisis in 2039 or
> whenever, when 32-bit time rolls over; but is it any use for any other
> reason?

> For any conceivable use, aren't almost all the high bits going to be zeroes,
> not because zero is the information content but because nobody has anything
> useful to put in numbers that big?

>                                                                         -d.

 
 
 

DB2 7.2 64/32 bits connectivity?

Post by Peter Bon » Fri, 25 May 2001 23:08:00


Hi Blair and other DB2 'guritachi',

Thanks for responding, all. BTW, I do not need 64-bits because I need
64-bit numbers (just use long long on any 32-bits platform, I would
say), rather because our data mining application is in fact a main
memory database system. We would love to use more than 4GB RAM, and
ease the problems we encounter sometimes with virtual memory
management when multiple very large files are mapped into virtual
memory. And, we do not need Intel engineers by the truckload either,
as our code is already 64-bit ready after succesful ports to 64-bits
Solaris and 64-bits IRIX.

Back to the question of connecting to 32-bits DB2 UDB (on e.g. AIX)
from within a 64-bits AIX application.

If that is possible with DRDA/DB2 connect that would  be great news!

I have some detailed questions about DB2 connect/DRDA:
- are DRDA client libraries indeed available for 64-bits AIX?
- can you connect with DRDA to DB2 UDB? I had understood that DRDA
  is used for connecting to AS/400 or mainframes only?
- which versions of 32-bits DB2 UDB can you connect to (6.X/7.X)?
- we now use the (ODBC like) DB2 API. Can we continue to use this same
  API with DRDA, or should we use another API?
- is there a performance impact of going through DRDA to DB2 rather
  than directly?

as an illustration for the latter issue, our application basically
sequentially reads and writes entire tables from and to DB2. Typically,
on NT (windoze) when using ODBC, we need an ODBC driver that implements
'bulk insert' and 'bulk read' to reach acceptable performance.

many thanks, again.

Peter Boncz


> Nothing is new for 64-bit in 7.2 except:
> 1. you get 64-bit without a fixpak
> 2. we have Windows AWE support for large memory bufferpools in the 32-bit world.

> Until Version 8, your scenario will require DRDA (DB2 Connect) or a three tier app like SAP, where a DB2
> client with the same bitness as the database engine mediates between the database and the application on the
> 3rd tier.


> > Dear DB2 Guri,

> > In the original DB2 7.1 release on 64-bits platforms, a number of restrictions
> > were imposed regarding connectivity. In particular, it was impossible to connect
> > with a 64-bits client to a 32-bits DB2 server, and vice versa.

> > see: www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/data/db2/udb/winos2unix/support/document.d...

> > I have good reasons to port my application to 64-bit on AIX, but I want to keep
> > connecting to existing DB2 data sources that are 32-bits. This has held me back
> > from doing the port for the time being.

> > Now 7.2 is out, and the 'what's new booklet' mentions again the fact that 64-bits
> > applications on AIX, Solaris and HP-UX can use DB2. But, what's new here exactly?

> > see: www.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/pdfs/db2v72whatsnew.pdf

> > now, my *question*:

> >         does anyone know whether connecting from a 64-bits application to 32-bits DB2 will work?

> > I fear it still won't. Still, this is rather important to me. If it would work, I
> > suppose you would need to link your application with the 7.2 client libraries
> > (64-bits version), but is it necessary that the 32-bits DB2 is version 7.2 or would
> > this even work with older DB2 server versions (in other words, do I need to somehow
> > convince all my data sources to upgrade to 7.2)?

> > many thanks,

> > Peter Boncz

> > software architect
> > Data Distilleries BV
> > www.datadistilleries.com

 
 
 

DB2 7.2 64/32 bits connectivity?

Post by Blair Kenneth Adamach » Sat, 26 May 2001 06:07:05


There are many ways to use more than 4 GB with 32-bit DB2.  These include DB2 EEE, extended memory, or devoting
the memory to file system caching.  If you want to read an article on this, monitor
http://www7b.boulder.ibm.com/dmdd/ or send me an e-mail (the article should be published soon).

DRDA can be used against any DB2, including AIX.  This allows you to have a 32-bit client connect to a 64-bit
server.  (You don't need a 64-bit DRDA client, although that's available too.)  DRDA is normally not chosen for
DB2 to DB2 on Unix/Windows, but it does work.  We don't test it as thoroughly as the DB2RA protocol used for
workstation to workstation.

ODBC is often used over DRDA.  You are right that DRDA in v7/6 is not always as fast as DB2RA.  You can do bulk
read and bulk insert in DRDA using Compound SQL.

Don't underestimate file system caching: Solaris and AIX are both very good at this.


> Hi Blair and other DB2 'guritachi',

> Thanks for responding, all. BTW, I do not need 64-bits because I need
> 64-bit numbers (just use long long on any 32-bits platform, I would
> say), rather because our data mining application is in fact a main
> memory database system. We would love to use more than 4GB RAM, and
> ease the problems we encounter sometimes with virtual memory
> management when multiple very large files are mapped into virtual
> memory. And, we do not need Intel engineers by the truckload either,
> as our code is already 64-bit ready after succesful ports to 64-bits
> Solaris and 64-bits IRIX.

> Back to the question of connecting to 32-bits DB2 UDB (on e.g. AIX)
> from within a 64-bits AIX application.

> If that is possible with DRDA/DB2 connect that would  be great news!

> I have some detailed questions about DB2 connect/DRDA:
> - are DRDA client libraries indeed available for 64-bits AIX?
> - can you connect with DRDA to DB2 UDB? I had understood that DRDA
>   is used for connecting to AS/400 or mainframes only?
> - which versions of 32-bits DB2 UDB can you connect to (6.X/7.X)?
> - we now use the (ODBC like) DB2 API. Can we continue to use this same
>   API with DRDA, or should we use another API?
> - is there a performance impact of going through DRDA to DB2 rather
>   than directly?

> as an illustration for the latter issue, our application basically
> sequentially reads and writes entire tables from and to DB2. Typically,
> on NT (windoze) when using ODBC, we need an ODBC driver that implements
> 'bulk insert' and 'bulk read' to reach acceptable performance.

> many thanks, again.

> Peter Boncz


> > Nothing is new for 64-bit in 7.2 except:
> > 1. you get 64-bit without a fixpak
> > 2. we have Windows AWE support for large memory bufferpools in the 32-bit world.

> > Until Version 8, your scenario will require DRDA (DB2 Connect) or a three tier app like SAP, where a DB2
> > client with the same bitness as the database engine mediates between the database and the application on the
> > 3rd tier.


> > > Dear DB2 Guri,

> > > In the original DB2 7.1 release on 64-bits platforms, a number of restrictions
> > > were imposed regarding connectivity. In particular, it was impossible to connect
> > > with a 64-bits client to a 32-bits DB2 server, and vice versa.

> > > see: www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/data/db2/udb/winos2unix/support/document.d...

> > > I have good reasons to port my application to 64-bit on AIX, but I want to keep
> > > connecting to existing DB2 data sources that are 32-bits. This has held me back
> > > from doing the port for the time being.

> > > Now 7.2 is out, and the 'what's new booklet' mentions again the fact that 64-bits
> > > applications on AIX, Solaris and HP-UX can use DB2. But, what's new here exactly?

> > > see: www.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/pdfs/db2v72whatsnew.pdf

> > > now, my *question*:

> > >         does anyone know whether connecting from a 64-bits application to 32-bits DB2 will work?

> > > I fear it still won't. Still, this is rather important to me. If it would work, I
> > > suppose you would need to link your application with the 7.2 client libraries
> > > (64-bits version), but is it necessary that the 32-bits DB2 is version 7.2 or would
> > > this even work with older DB2 server versions (in other words, do I need to somehow
> > > convince all my data sources to upgrade to 7.2)?

> > > many thanks,

> > > Peter Boncz

> > > software architect
> > > Data Distilleries BV
> > > www.datadistilleries.com

 
 
 

1. Upgrading from 8.1.5 32 bits to 8.1.6 64 bits

Hello

Is anyone have hints how to upgrading a database from Oracle 8i 8.1.5.
32 bits to 8.1.6. 64 bits. Can I simply install the 8.1.6 program in my
actual 8.1.5 ORACLE_HOME without uninstalling 8.1.5.? If I have to
uninstall 8.1.5 and install 8.1.6 in a new ORACLE_HOME, do I need to run
the migration assistant to upgrade the datafiles of my 8.1.5 database?
This is on a Sun Enterpris 450 running Solaris 2.6.

Thanks

2. SiteDev.Com Discussion Forums

3. Migrating from 32-bits to 64-bits

4. Pdox7 & Win95 file share server

5. how to find whether informix 32 bits or 64 bits

6. Phantom processor in AP 6.1

7. Informix 64 bits versus 32 bits

8. Informix 32 bits or 64 bits??

9. converting 32 to 64 bits oracle hpux 11

10. DB2 64 bit - 32 bit problem

11. DB2/UDB version 6.1 - is it 32-bit or 64-bit on AIX 4.3