Problem install DB2 7.1 on AIX 4.3.3

Post by Richar » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:07:44

I have a RS6000 that is running DB2 5.2 on AIX 4.3.3.  I was able to install
and get it running fine.  I just got DB2 7.1 in so I completely re-installed
AIX and then attempted to install DB2 7.1.

I log in as root. I choose to install DB2 Enterprise and Administration
Server and go through setting up passwords, etc.  It goes off and gives me a
message that Java RTE is old and I should install the one included on the CD
and then it continues installing anyway.

It eventually completes but with errors.  I scroll down the list and it says
that it was unable to create the DB2 instance and the Administration Server.

Does anybody have any idea why this is happening?  root should have all
authorities to create an instance I would think.  And where is this Java RTE
install the message reffered to?

All help would be very welcome

Thanks
Richard Speiss

Problem install DB2 7.1 on AIX 4.3.3

Post by Dorie Perfett » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:24:21

There should be a log file of your install ... check /tmp/db2setup.log ...
there should be more info on why the instances were not created.

> I have a RS6000 that is running DB2 5.2 on AIX 4.3.3.  I was able to install
> and get it running fine.  I just got DB2 7.1 in so I completely re-installed
> AIX and then attempted to install DB2 7.1.

> I log in as root. I choose to install DB2 Enterprise and Administration
> Server and go through setting up passwords, etc.  It goes off and gives me a
> message that Java RTE is old and I should install the one included on the CD
> and then it continues installing anyway.

> It eventually completes but with errors.  I scroll down the list and it says
> that it was unable to create the DB2 instance and the Administration Server.

> Does anybody have any idea why this is happening?  root should have all
> authorities to create an instance I would think.  And where is this Java RTE
> install the message reffered to?

> All help would be very welcome

> Thanks
> Richard Speiss

Problem install DB2 7.1 on AIX 4.3.3

Post by Fabrizio Npolitan » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 06:23:27

Hi Richard,
I think you were going through 2 different problems:
first JAVA rte: DB2 7.1 need the version 1.1.8 of this fileset even if
usually it install this version could happen that if an earlier realese
it'already installed in the system the installation wouldnt overwrite it, so
before to install DB2 you can try the command :
lslpp -al Java.rte.*
if you have version 1.1.2 you shoud think to update your system with the one
of the last mantainance level for AIX where you should find version 1.1.8;
otherwise just deinstall that filset so that DB2 can install its own.
Second the instance and Administration server creation failure, from what
you write I'm not sure what's going on but it's possible that you don't have
enough free space in the /home filesystem, when you create a DB2 instance it
will create a user with the same name of the instance with home dir in
/home/"inst_name"; the same for the admin server. However if after the
installation you read the log /tmp/db2setup.log (?) you shuold find some
interesting notice on what's went wrong.
hope this help
Fabrizio Napolitano

Quote:> I have a RS6000 that is running DB2 5.2 on AIX 4.3.3.  I was able to
install
> and get it running fine.  I just got DB2 7.1 in so I completely
re-installed
> AIX and then attempted to install DB2 7.1.

> I log in as root. I choose to install DB2 Enterprise and Administration
> Server and go through setting up passwords, etc.  It goes off and gives me
> message that Java RTE is old and I should install the one included on the
CD
> and then it continues installing anyway.

> It eventually completes but with errors.  I scroll down the list and it
says
> that it was unable to create the DB2 instance and the Administration
Server.

> Does anybody have any idea why this is happening?  root should have all
> authorities to create an instance I would think.  And where is this Java
RTE
> install the message reffered to?

> All help would be very welcome

> Thanks
> Richard Speiss

1. SQL0901N error installing DB2 Enterprise 7.1 on AIX 5.1

I get the following when I run db2sampl, to setup the Sample db, after
installing DB2 Enterprise Edition v7.1 on AIX v5.1

SQL0901N  The SQL statement failed because of a non-severe system error.
Subsequent SQL statements can be processed.  (Reason "Invalid Request type
for DB2 Admin Server".)

I'm running under the user id I created when I installed DB2. I've tried
giving that user root privileges on the AIX machine with the same result.
There was a client Instance on the AIX machine, but now the DBINSTANCE
environment variable points, correctly I think, to the on created by the
DB2 server install.

Any suggestions on what the problem is? Do I need to remove the client
instance? Is there any other way to verify that the server was installed
correctly?

Thanks,
Emmet

2. Anyone recommend a good book for managing SQL Server 7.0?

3. DB2 UDB 7.1 fp3 AIX 4.3.3 db2 command processor and crontab

4. SQL 2000 client on a SQL 7 engine

5. Problems w/ DB2 (7.1 on AIX) trim() function

6. Problems with xp_sqlinventory on SQL70 SP1

7. Problem installing ibm db2 7.1 personal edition

8. How can I connect to the Analysis Services via firewall

9. Problems Installing DB2 7.1 under HP-UX 11.00

10. DB2 7.1 EEE Install problem on Win 2000 - _INS5576_MP-Application Error

11. Problems installing DB2 7.1 on Linux

12. DB2 7.1 PDE or DB2 7.1 EE

13. DB2 PDE 7.1 on RedHat 7.1 problem