Empty table, why so many space ?

Post by MaisonBorni » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:55:06

All,

I have a database with tables with columns like that

Information VARCHAR(3000)

And when I create my database, I need a page size of 4K and 2500 Size
in 4KB pages (!!).

I need to have a database of 100Mo when I create it !! No data in it,
just the structure takes so many space.

Is it normal ??

How can I change that (if it is possible) ???

ThanX !!

Empty table, why so many space ?

Post by John Keenleysid » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:52:08

Quote:> All,

> I have a database with tables with columns like that

> Information VARCHAR(3000)

> And when I create my database, I need a page size of 4K and 2500 Size
> in 4KB pages (!!).

> I need to have a database of 100Mo when I create it !! No data in it,
> just the structure takes so many space.

> Is it normal ??

> How can I change that (if it is possible) ???

> ThanX !!

What type of tablespace is the table located in? If the tablespace is
managed by the database (DMS) then the space is allocated when the
tablespace is created.

Regards,
John

Empty table, why so many space ?

Post by MaisonBorni » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 18:16:19

[Snip]

Quote:> What type of tablespace is the table located in? If the tablespace is
> managed by the database (DMS) then the space is allocated when the
> tablespace is created.

Yes the tablespace is managed by the DMS. Is it possible to be managed
by something else ?

Empty table, why so many space ?

Post by Mark » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 20:25:53

Quote:> [Snip]
> > What type of tablespace is the table located in? If the tablespace is
> > managed by the database (DMS) then the space is allocated when the
> > tablespace is created.

> Yes the tablespace is managed by the DMS. Is it possible to be managed
> by something else ?

The minimum space allocated is 5 extents. So look at your extent size and
figure out if that is correct.

Empty table, why so many space ?

Post by Blair Kenneth Adamach » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:27:56

Well, it could be system managed (SMS).

> [Snip]
> > What type of tablespace is the table located in? If the tablespace is
> > managed by the database (DMS) then the space is allocated when the
> > tablespace is created.

> Yes the tablespace is managed by the DMS. Is it possible to be managed
> by something else ?

1. Export table in comma delimited format - how to eliminate empty spaces

Hello:

When I export a table in comma delimited format, it works OK, but there is
one problem. If the field is varchar (or char) and has the size, for
instance, 50, there are empty spaces in the text file, so it looks like
this:

"CBAS      ","Bass Gambling Supplies                            ",2
"CBW       ","Ben's Wholesale                                   ",3
"CTDI      ","3 Diamond                                         ",4
"NONE      ","NON-CUSTOM                                        ",1

I need to elimitate these free spaces somehow, so the text file would look
like this:

"CBAS","Bass Gambling Supplies",2
"CBW","Ben's Wholesale",3
"CTDI","3 Diamond",4
"NONE","NON-CUSTOM",1

How would I do it, either manually or programmatically?

I would appreciate your help.

Thank you,

--
Peter Afonin

2. Is it possible to run SQL stored procedures from EXCEL VBA sub routine?

3. Storage space used for empty fields in SQL Tables

4. Sending E-mail from within SQL-Server

5. Table allocates space on empty columns?

6. Does SQL Server 6.5 able to manage an SQL Anywhere 5.0 database?

7. Add records to an empty table - AddNewX.cpp example fails with an empty table

8. Registering servers

9. Why my tables occupy abusive space?

10. WHY afyter Migration, shows different table space sizes ?

11. Empty resultset when adding to empty table : error

12. Empty Table not the same DB desktop empty

13. DTS ERROR :use single space instead of empty