Domino AS/400 DB2 Performance Issues

Post by sarr.. » Wed, 02 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Just started playing with the 400 and DB2 and am trying to find out
what could be causing some of our issues.  We developed a web app on
Domino using LotusScript Agents that pulls data from multiple logical
files and we find that the optimizer spends time looking through the
entire table instead of the directed key. This happens on some tables,
but not others.  Is there anyway to shut off the optimizer.

What about the order of your SELECT?  In other languages this matters,
what about DB2?

In addition, we find that it takes 6 second to open each connection.
Is there any tricks other that IBM's recommendations to tune the 400 to
reduce that 6 seconds.  I would imagine someone has run into this with
other Web Apps.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Domino AS/400 DB2 Performance Issues

Post by Kent Milliga » Wed, 02 Aug 2000 04:00:00

There is really no thing as a directed key when you're working with SQL - which
Domino is using.  There is an option (in QAQQINI) to limit the statistics that
the optimizer gathers from each index as it examines all of the possibilities
for implementing the query - however, then you run the danger of not giving the
optimizer enough info to make the right decision.

There is education available in the AS/400 Query Optimization & SQL Performance
Workshop offered by IBM Learning Services (Course# S6140), if you want to
understand why this happens for some tables and not others.  You also learn
about the QAQQINI options and how to do some of the tuning that IBM recommends.

--
Kent Milligan, DB2 & BI team
PartnerWorld for Developers, AS/400

(opinions stated are not necessarily those of my employer)

Domino AS/400 DB2 Performance Issues

Post by Tom Chamberlai » Sat, 05 Aug 2000 04:00:00

The performance of Domino on an AS/400 is also tide to the Model of
AS/400 you have.  There are Models made to run Domino much faster
then others.

Does your AS/400 have a Red front or is it a "Bumble Bee"? (Yellow Front)
The "Buble Bee" Models are made for Domino and Client/Server.

--

AS/400 & Delphi Consultant
3X Corporation