multi-language on database

Post by Deaco » Fri, 02 May 2003 23:36:01

Dear all,

I would like to ask if I want to have a database that the primary language
is English but it can support to store more than 1 second languges (eg,
chinese japaness etc), is it I can just install the corresponding language
DB2 code-page file set is ok. If so, what code-page should if specify when
creating the database.

Also, apart for the DB2 code-page file set, do I need to install the
language code-page to the OS in order for DB2 to support multi-language ?

I am using DB2 v7.2 on AIX 4.3.3

Thanks !

Deacon

multi-language on database

Post by Sherman La » Sat, 03 May 2003 00:37:28

Hi Deacon,

DB2 are packaged with different translated version. E.g. For the Asian
market, you will get a CD in Chinese and English.   The translated version
only provide the translated documentations, messages and help. However, the
internal language support are the same.

If you just want to support 1 second language and English, you can create a
database in that second language.  English is always available in any code
page.  E.g. If you want to support Japanese and English in your database,
you can create a IBM-943 database. However, there are two written Chinese:
Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese.  The encoding are different for
them.  If you want to support Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese at
the same time, you need to create a Unicode database.Please refer to DB2
Administration Guide: National Language Support for the list of supported
code pages.

On AIX, you need to install the fonts and locales in order to see and type
Japanese or Chinese characters.  Without those filesets, the Chinese or
Japanese character looks like garbage on the screen.  Or actually you cannot
even open a Chinese/Japanese x terminal without the basic language OS
filesets.

Sherman

Quote:> Dear all,

> I would like to ask if I want to have a database that the primary language
> is English but it can support to store more than 1 second languges (eg,
> chinese japaness etc), is it I can just install the corresponding language
> DB2 code-page file set is ok. If so, what code-page should if specify when
> creating the database.

> Also, apart for the DB2 code-page file set, do I need to install the
> language code-page to the OS in order for DB2 to support multi-language ?

> I am using DB2 v7.2 on AIX 4.3.3

> Thanks !

> Deacon

1. Multilanguage International Database, Code Page setup for SQL server

Does anyone have experience setting up a multilingual SQL Server?
Although Code Page 850 can be used for can be used for most western
languages, I am interesting in setting up an SQL  Server that could
store data in a larger range of languages, including Chinese and
Japanese.

How does one obtain the various code pages for character sets,
particularly the double-byte character sets (DBCS), such as Code Page
950 (cp-950)?
As far as I understand it, the code pages can be installed from the NT
server installation disk in the langpack directory using the *.inf
files.  Then the appropriate Code Page can be used during the SQL
server setup.
(http://premium.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q165/0/51.asp)

However, it seems that character sets for Japanese, Chinese, and other
languages are mutually exclusive...

Is there any way to have an SQL Server with a Code Page that supports
a wide range European and Asian languages?

Is their an alternative way to do this using varbinary types?

thanks for any information
Mickey Ferrantelli

(take out the -NOSPAM- from the address if emailng a response)

2. Error message ORA-01041

3. help in calender/diary program;

4. Multi Language Database

5. Generate SQL Scripts is working differently .....???????

6. Multi-languages in a database

7. Multi-language data in a database

8. HELP: Need multi platform database language

9. MS SQL Server and multi-languages