DB2 7.1 PDE or DB2 7.1 EE

Post by Mike V. Karmyshe » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:17:00

Hello,
I want to evaluate DB2 for Linux.
I have DB2 Personal Developer's Edition 7.1
and DB2 Enterprise Edition 6.1.

I've installed DB2 PDE 7.1 on my machine (RedHat 6.2,glibc 2.1.3) and
it works ok,
but looks like it doesn't allow any remote connections,am I right?
But I need to be able to connect to DB2 from another machine,where the
web server resides. Also,it would be nice to have a look at DB2's
replication features.
So I tried to install DB2 EE 6.1. The problem is that it hangs
after "db2start" command is issued. How can I solve this problem or is
there any ways to get DB2PDE 7.1 working with remote connections?
     WBR,Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

DB2 7.1 PDE or DB2 7.1 EE

Post by Darin McBrid » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 20:05:27

>Hello,
>I want to evaluate DB2 for Linux.
>I have DB2 Personal Developer's Edition 7.1
>and DB2 Enterprise Edition 6.1.

>I've installed DB2 PDE 7.1 on my machine (RedHat 6.2,glibc 2.1.3) and
>it works ok,
>but looks like it doesn't allow any remote connections,am I right?

Correct - that's what "Personal Edition" is about.

Quote:>But I need to be able to connect to DB2 from another machine,where the
>web server resides. Also,it would be nice to have a look at DB2's
>replication features.
>So I tried to install DB2 EE 6.1. The problem is that it hangs
>after "db2start" command is issued. How can I solve this problem or is

Get FP2 or later.
Quote:>there any ways to get DB2PDE 7.1 working with remote connections?
>     WBR,Mike

DB2 7.1 PDE or DB2 7.1 EE

Post by Blair Kenneth Adamach » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 00:06:55

You're right - Personal Edition cannot accept external conncetions.  It
can be a client to Enterprise Edition.  For EE v61 to work on recent
versions of Red Hat, you need these fixes:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/db2/tools/db2rh61fix.tgz

or the latest fixpak from this site:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/db2/fixes/english-us/db2linuxv61/

> Hello,
> I want to evaluate DB2 for Linux.
> I have DB2 Personal Developer's Edition 7.1
> and DB2 Enterprise Edition 6.1.

> I've installed DB2 PDE 7.1 on my machine (RedHat 6.2,glibc 2.1.3) and
> it works ok,
> but looks like it doesn't allow any remote connections,am I right?
> But I need to be able to connect to DB2 from another machine,where the
> web server resides. Also,it would be nice to have a look at DB2's
> replication features.
> So I tried to install DB2 EE 6.1. The problem is that it hangs
> after "db2start" command is issued. How can I solve this problem or is
> there any ways to get DB2PDE 7.1 working with remote connections?
>      WBR,Mike

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

DB2 7.1 PDE or DB2 7.1 EE

Post by Mike V. Karmyshe » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:19:22

> You're right - Personal Edition cannot accept external conncetions.

It
Ok,thanks.
Quote:> can be a client to Enterprise Edition.  For EE v61 to work on recent
> versions of Red Hat, you need these fixes:

> ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/db2/tools/db2rh61fix.tgz

> or the latest fixpak from this site:

> ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/db2/fixes/english-

us/db2linuxv61/
Hm,why didn't they just merge those 100+ Megs fixpaks with their
distribution? :(

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. DB2 PDE 7.1 on RedHat 7.1 problem

Thanks in advance for your time.  I have already ready through the
GREAT how-to by Dan (yup the currently updated version which includes
support for RH 7.1.) and have inplemented all the fixs/setups/settings
he suggested.  This problem existed when I ran RH 7.0 but I got it
fixed when I switched to Java 1.1.8.  Because this is no longer an
option I have to find a way to make Java2 work.

Here is my problem:
When I try to run db2cc I get the splash screen and then.... splash
screen.... ok still there.... etc... etc.. etc...

Just to make sure, I have let the splash screen run for hours but
control center does not come up.  I took a look at db2cc and
discovered that there is one of two libraries that I just don't seem
to have.  If "$JAVA_HOME" is defined I am missing classes.zip (I have
checked every file in my system for it.)  Even if "$JAVA_HOME" is not
defined I am missing db2plug.zip.

If I kill -9 the process (because control-c does not do it) I get this
message:

I would just switch back to RH 7 but it is not my decision.  Thanks
again for any help.  Let me know If there is any more infor I can give
you.

2. How do you add an autonumber field as datatype in SS?

3. General question on DB2 7.1 PDE

4. US-CA-SF Bay Area-Applications Engineers w/Oracle Experience-Recruiter

5. DB2 7.1 PDE and MSQuery problems

6. Wingz 2.1 spreadsheet at MacWorld Boston!

7. DB2 UDB 7.1 fp3 AIX 4.3.3 db2 command processor and crontab

8. report keeps droping lines

9. Connect to db2 5.2 Server from db2 7.1

10. PDE 7.1 for Windows - Can't start admin server

11. Command Center Error in UDB PDE for win 7.1 FP 2a

12. 7.1 PDE for Linux - time limited?

13. Unable to drop table in 7.1 PDE