DB2 7.1 AIX 4.3.3 Files system from normal to large file enabled

DB2 7.1 AIX 4.3.3 Files system from normal to large file enabled

Post by Bernard Dhoogh » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 01:03:51

  We have databases with containers created on files systems (SMS) that
are not large file enabled (so all files will be < 2GB). We want to
migrate to large file enabled file systems. When does DB2 detect a file
can be used as large file (>2GB). At creation of the file? If so it
means we can not backup and restore our files with AIX utilities
(backup/restore) but that instead we must use backup/restore database?

Bernard Dhooghe

DB2 7.1 AIX 4.3.3 Files system from normal to large file enabled

Post by Joachim Muelle » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 06:09:25

Bernhard,

you can use backup and redirected restore, with this you create
new container files bigger than 2GB.
I worked with that for large SAP Systems, they default container
on SAP are all smaller than 2 GB.

best regards, Joachim Mueller

Quote:

>   We have databases with containers created on files systems (SMS) that
> are not large file enabled (so all files will be < 2GB). We want to
> migrate to large file enabled file systems. When does DB2 detect a file
> can be used as large file (>2GB). At creation of the file? If so it
> means we can not backup and restore our files with AIX utilities
> (backup/restore) but that instead we must use backup/restore database?

> Bernard Dhooghe

DB2 7.1 AIX 4.3.3 Files system from normal to large file enabled

Post by Bernard Dhoogh » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 17:16:43

Joachim,

We will work with backup/restore, we also thing this will be the cleanest and
safest way.

Best regards,

Bernard

> Bernhard,

> you can use backup and redirected restore, with this you create
> new container files bigger than 2GB.
> I worked with that for large SAP Systems, they default container
> on SAP are all smaller than 2 GB.

> best regards, Joachim Mueller

> >   We have databases with containers created on files systems (SMS) that
> > are not large file enabled (so all files will be < 2GB). We want to
> > migrate to large file enabled file systems. When does DB2 detect a file
> > can be used as large file (>2GB). At creation of the file? If so it
> > means we can not backup and restore our files with AIX utilities
> > (backup/restore) but that instead we must use backup/restore database?

> > Bernard Dhooghe

DB2 7.1 AIX 4.3.3 Files system from normal to large file enabled

Post by Peeter Joo » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:23:54

Hi Bernard,

For temporary tablespaces, I know from experience that one can resize the
underlying filesystem at any point.  For others, I don't believe that db2
stores any information about the file system when the containers are
created.  When the storage is required checks are done to ensure that there
is space to do so.

Peeter

>   We have databases with containers created on files systems (SMS) that
> are not large file enabled (so all files will be < 2GB). We want to
> migrate to large file enabled file systems. When does DB2 detect a file
> can be used as large file (>2GB). At creation of the file? If so it
> means we can not backup and restore our files with AIX utilities
> (backup/restore) but that instead we must use backup/restore database?

> Bernard Dhooghe

1. Oracle Data Warehousing, UNIX and large file-enabled file systems

I am the DBA for a data warehouse environment that is expected to get
to about 3TB.  That would mean about 1500 or so data files with the
2GB file limit.  Besides being a nightmare to manage that many files,
I anticipate the overhead on checkpoints would be tremendous.  The
environment is 32-bit Oracle (possibility of 64 bit in the future) on
AIX with disk storage on an IBM Shark SAN (RAID5, 32K stripe; no
choice here), with a 16K Oracle block size (the max allowed).  We are
using Journaled File Systems, not raw partitions.  I am contemplating
the use of large file-enabled JFSs for all JFSs that would contain
oracle data files, log files and control files.  But I don't know much
about them, and I am wondering if there are serious performance, space
consumption or administration issues in doing so.

I understand with large file-enabled JFSs, I could have 64GB files
(one posting says 32GB is max for Oracle) and up to 8TB JFSs.  But I
have heard conflicting comments on implications for INODEs, allocation
units and fragmentation sizes(?).  Am I going to suffer an I/O penalty
every time the database attempts to write blocks out to the files,
especially if the blocks are non-contiguous?  What about disk space
usage?  Any other issues (backup/recovery, RMAN, EXP/IMP, etc.)?

I would be particularly interested in what others have experienced.
What file sizes did you allow?  What size of JFSs were allowed?  What
issues were encountered?  If you had the chance to start from scratch
again, would you go large file-enabled again, and if so, what would
you set as your maximum file size and JFS size?

These issues have come to the forefront as I prepare to create the
tablespaces, so unfortunately this is a time-sensitive issue.  Any
input would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. MMC cannot open the file.

3. DB2 UDB 7.1 fp3 AIX 4.3.3 db2 command processor and crontab

4. ADO View Hidden in Access

5. DB2 7.1 PDE or DB2 7.1 EE

6. Progress Reseller in Canada

7. Problems w/ DB2 (7.1 on AIX) trim() function

8. Still Recieving Errors During Install SQL2000

9. SQL0901N error installing DB2 Enterprise 7.1 on AIX 5.1

10. Problem install DB2 7.1 on AIX 4.3.3

11. DB2 UDB 7.1 AIX memory above 2 GB?

12. Backup conrol file and normal control file