Lock-wait AND SYSIBM tables

Post by Jan » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 07:51:59

Every time we try to connect an application to the database,
there is a Lock-wait.

The lock snapshot shows there are exclusive locks on various SYSIBM
tables.  Here is an excerpt:
 Lock Object Name            = 4829704
 Node number lock is held at = 0
 Object Type                 = Row
 Tablespace Name             = SYSCATSPACE
 Table Schema                = SYSIBM
 Table Name                  = SYSPLANDEP
 Mode                        = X
 Status                      = Granted
 Lock Escalation             = NO

 Lock Object Name            = 13062
 Node number lock is held at = 0
 Object Type                 = Row
 Tablespace Name             = SYSCATSPACE
 Table Schema                = SYSIBM
 Table Name                  = SYSTABLES
 Mode                        = NS
 Status                      = Granted
 Lock Escalation             = NO
 Lock Object Name            = 1502223

 Node number lock is held at = 0
 Object Type                 = Row
 Tablespace Name             = SYSCATSPACE
 Table Schema                = SYSIBM
 Table Name                  = SYSSECTION
 Mode                        = X
 Status                      = Granted
 Lock Escalation             = NO

I think there is some thing wrong with the System Catalog tables but
cannot narrow down the issue. The db2Diag.log doesn't give any details
on the lock even though the level is at 4.

The CLI trace shows that the application is just trying to connect to
the database.

DB2 Version: DB2 v7.1.0.60 on AIX

Help is much appreciated.
-Jane

Lock-wait AND SYSIBM tables

Post by Gert van der Kooi » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:27:20

Quote:> Every time we try to connect an application to the database,
> there is a Lock-wait.

I've seen this kind of things just after migrating to another release.
If you have the same situation you need to rebind all packages
(db2rbind -? to get the syntax).

If you're connecting from a client you might run into this kind of
problem if you didn't bind the CLI and utitlties bind files.

Lock-wait AND SYSIBM tables

Post by Jan » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:27:40

I had already tried db2rbind but that didn't help.

But binding the client CLI and utitlties to the database using the
Client Configuration Assistant did the trick.

This database has been around for a while ... we didn't move to a new
release but for some reason binding was needed.

Thanks for your help.
-Jane

1. Truncate table and Internal Lock wait

An application developer is runnning a process which truncates a work
table.  The process is running slow due to internal locking during the
truncate.  There are 10 instanaces of this process, all running
truncates on 10 different work tables in the same tablespace.

Any suggestions as to why / how to fix, a large amount of internal lock
waits due to truncating?  Is there a configuration parameter which I
should investigate?

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Help wanted: Montreal

3. sysibm.sysprocedures table empty

4. FM passwords and XML requests

5. Questions about syscat, sysibm catalog views/tables

6. TESTING COMPUTER SOFTWARE Conference (TCS'99) Overview

7. Table is locked, workstation coughs, table stays locked.

8. US-NJ: Princeton-Oracle-Clinical

9. Lock Waits , Analysis Services Transactions.

10. Waiting State for Locking Processes

11. Performance: Lock Object, Avg Wait Time

12. Question re: Alerts and Lock waits/second

13. cancel while waiting for a lock - how?