applications connect to db2 without db2 client?

applications connect to db2 without db2 client?

Post by se » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:29:16

I have a database server runing db2 workgroup edition 7.2. I have a
java application to view data from the database and a visual basic
application to update the databae. Will I be able to run these
applications from any client computers that connect to the server by
intranet using only Windows ODBC IF the client computers do not have
db2 client assistant installed? Thank you very much.

P.S. By Windows ODBC I mean in Windows 2000 you can set up a new
database connection from the control panel.

applications connect to db2 without db2 client?

Post by Nick Ivan » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 04:49:29

You will need a JDBC-ODBC bridge driver to replace IBM JDBC driver.
Performance of your java application may suffer though.

Post by Netrista Khata » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:42:14

> You will need a JDBC-ODBC bridge driver to replace IBM JDBC driver.
> Performance of your java application may suffer though.

> > I have a database server runing db2 workgroup edition 7.2. I have a
> > java application to view data from the database and a visual basic
> > application to update the databae. Will I be able to run these
> > applications from any client computers that connect to the server by
> > intranet using only Windows ODBC IF the client computers do not have
> > db2 client assistant installed?

Hello Sea,

     If you have difficulty locating a suitable JDBC-ODBC bridge, OpenLink Software has Single-Tier Type 1 (bridge) drivers and Multi-Tier Type 3 (pure java) drivers that would enable you to connect to your remote DB2 database.
http://oplweb2.openlinksw.com:8080/download/downwiz.vsp
The Single-Tier drivers are clientside-only drivers that connect to any existing ODBC DSN. The Multi-Tier drivers require a client and database server install. Depending on what you install, you can establish JDBC Type 3 and/or pure ODBC connectivity.
Netrista Khatam
Technical Services Manager
OpenLink Software
Universal Data Access & Virtual Database Technology Providers
http://www.openlinksw.com

applications connect to db2 without db2 client?

very much -- I will try to test out different possibilites...