Help - recreate database from data files - not backup

Help - recreate database from data files - not backup

Post by Eugene » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 05:58:57

How do I import existing database not from a backup file, but from existing
data files?

This may seem like a strange question, but I can't figure it out.

I had to reinstall DB2 on my test Windows 2000 server after a crash. The DB2
starts up properly, but I cannot see my old databases (stored on a different
drive and not affected by the crash).

How do I add them back to the new schema?

Thanks,

Eugene

Post by lsun.. » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 08:54:01

> How do I import existing database not from a backup file, but from existing
> data files?

> This may seem like a strange question, but I can't figure it out.

> I had to reinstall DB2 on my test Windows 2000 server after a crash. The DB2
> starts up properly, but I cannot see my old databases (stored on a different
> drive and not affected by the crash).

> How do I add them back to the new schema?

Try the CATALOG command.

--
Lorne Sunley

Help - recreate database from data files - not backup

Post by W Gemin » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 08:50:54

I am not sure, but I think you can just recatalog them.

> How do I import existing database not from a backup file, but from existing
> data files?

> This may seem like a strange question, but I can't figure it out.

> I had to reinstall DB2 on my test Windows 2000 server after a crash. The DB2
> starts up properly, but I cannot see my old databases (stored on a different
> drive and not affected by the crash).

> How do I add them back to the new schema?

> Thanks,

> Eugene

1. Backups fail, data and log files not in directory, database running

Hey Everybody!

I hope I can get help with this crazy problem I am having.

I have a database that is running and can be accessed-
However:
1.  The back ups fail b/c the database and log files can not be found
2.  When checking the database properties and following the path listed
under the data files and transaction logs tab the database files are not in
the directory specified
3.  When trying to shrink the tran log I get an error saying the :
Server: Msg 8985, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Could not locate file 'eosc_sde_log' in sysfiles.
DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your
system administrator

The weird thing is that the database is accessible but now we can not do any
insert / updates b/c I can't shrink the tran log

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

PS-This is totally confusing.

2. Newbie: Why I need SQL Agent?

3. Recreating file system which contain data files

4. Bug? Closing a Table in OnClose Event of a form.

5. Retrieivng sql server 200 database from file/folder structure, not a backup file

6. VB5: UserConnection problem: Calling stored proc

7. Help - Simply Getting Data from Extrenal Data Files (not from Access Data Base)

8. HELP I can't decide between Visual FoxPro and Delphi

9. Recreate Master and User database from backup

10. Recover Data File only and Not Log Part from FULL Backup

11. Database backup / database File Backup

12. Using old DAT files to recreate data

13. Database backup files not being deleted.