Installer For FMPro Developer Question

Post by Linda & Jaso » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 01:50:45

I have recently built a Marketable Program with FM Pro Developer that needs
to have an auto installer.   Two Questions.

Does any one have a reliable suggestion on which auto installer works the
best without costing me an arm and leg?

Does anyone know of someone or company who can help me install to our
program on a regular basis?

PLEASE SEND ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN...        I downloaded Install Shield
Demo Version and the questions they ask to set up an install are simply
unknown
by me.

Thanks for any help....

Jason
--
Jason & Linda Mendenhall
Business, Home & Garden Inventory Software Team.

Installer For FMPro Developer Question

Post by Terr » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 02:01:53

Try this site, it's about $45.

http://www.gammadyne.com/seau.htm

Quote:> I have recently built a Marketable Program with FM Pro Developer that
needs
> to have an auto installer.   Two Questions.

> Does any one have a reliable suggestion on which auto installer works the
> best without costing me an arm and leg?

> Does anyone know of someone or company who can help me install to our
> program on a regular basis?

> PLEASE SEND ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN...        I downloaded Install Shield
> Demo Version and the questions they ask to set up an install are simply
> unknown
> by me.

> Thanks for any help....

> Jason
> --
> Jason & Linda Mendenhall
> Business, Home & Garden Inventory Software Team.
> www.invme.com

Installer For FMPro Developer Question

Post by Paul Brunea » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 04:04:37

On the Mac side, it's simply a case of drag and drop of a single folder
from the CD to the hard drive. I don't think any installer can make this
process simpler.

The problem is on the PC side, if you copy the FM files in this manner,
Windows will make them Read Only which is one of the stupidest things ever.

I have seen cheap installers that need a class to learn to use, and I
have seen expensive ones that are easier.

I had some success with WinZip Self Extractor, but lately I am sunk
because I like to install to the Desktop, but the desktop has one path
in Win95, Win98 (c:/windows/desktop), but has a different path in newer
OSes like Win2000, WinXP (c:/somewhere/users/username/desktop/or/some/such).

the only place left to install with something as simple as winzip SE is
c:/. I am going to try this with my next version, but I expect a lot of
tech support calls to the effect of "where did it put the folder?"

I hope someone has a better idea than this.

PB

> I have recently built a Marketable Program with FM Pro Developer that needs
> to have an auto installer.   Two Questions.

> Does any one have a reliable suggestion on which auto installer works the
> best without costing me an arm and leg?

> Does anyone know of someone or company who can help me install to our
> program on a regular basis?

> PLEASE SEND ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN...        I downloaded Install Shield
> Demo Version and the questions they ask to set up an install are simply
> unknown
> by me.

> Thanks for any help....

> Jason
> --
> Jason & Linda Mendenhall
> Business, Home & Garden Inventory Software Team.
> www.invme.com

Installer For FMPro Developer Question

Post by Daniel R. Sloa » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 08:34:42

http://bersoft.com/easysetup/index.htm

Cheers!
Daniel R. Sloan

Quote:> I have recently built a Marketable Program with FM Pro Developer that
needs
> to have an auto installer.   Two Questions.

> Does any one have a reliable suggestion on which auto installer works the
> best without costing me an arm and leg?

> Does anyone know of someone or company who can help me install to our
> program on a regular basis?

> PLEASE SEND ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN...        I downloaded Install Shield
> Demo Version and the questions they ask to set up an install are simply
> unknown
> by me.

> Thanks for any help....

> Jason
> --
> Jason & Linda Mendenhall
> Business, Home & Garden Inventory Software Team.
> www.invme.com

Installer For FMPro Developer Question

Post by Linda & Jaso » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 10:25:14

Thank You for each of your contributions in answering my question.

I am on my way in following through.

It seems like this would be a wonderful project for FMPro to provide a auto
installer for their clients.

Have a great week everyone..

Jason...

If anyone else has any ideas, please post.     Thanks

Installer For FMPro Developer Question

Post by Tedd » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 10:38:57

Have used GkSetup a few times - very easy:

http://www.gkware.com/

Ted

Quote:> I have recently built a Marketable Program with FM Pro Developer that
needs
> to have an auto installer.   Two Questions.

> Does any one have a reliable suggestion on which auto installer works the
> best without costing me an arm and leg?

> Does anyone know of someone or company who can help me install to our
> program on a regular basis?

> PLEASE SEND ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN...        I downloaded Install Shield
> Demo Version and the questions they ask to set up an install are simply
> unknown
> by me.

> Thanks for any help....

> Jason
> --
> Jason & Linda Mendenhall
> Business, Home & Garden Inventory Software Team.
> www.invme.com

1. FMPro Developer Edition Questions

A couple of questions about the new FMPro Developer Edition:

Can you create multi-user programs with it? For example, at our workplace
we currently have several shared databases on a server with a tiny
network. Can you create a client program that will allow a user to log
onto the main runtime solution, or are all such solutions by default
one-user? Can you use the regular FMPro program to connect over a network
with a runtime solution?

Also, is there any sort of licensing fee one pays to FileMaker Inc. for
distributing runtime solutions? What if I seel 100s of a particular
program (I wish!) -- do I pay royalties to Filemaker? Or am I buying a
license to distribute unlimited copies of my solution when I purchase
FMP-DE?

If anybody knows the answers, please enlighten me.

Thanks,

Eric

--
This e-mail address is a "throwaway", I never check it.
Better to reply at the news group.

2. Job offer, Peregrine Systems, consultant/programmer

3. Developer/ Installer / Woes

4. ActiveX DLL Error Handling in VB 5

5. convert db from FMPro 2 to FMPro 4 ?

6. DTS.Package LoadFromSQLServer Method problems

7. Inline Actions and FMPro 6 vs. FMPro 5

8. Need advice from experienced DAO person

9. IS FMPro 5 compatible with FMPro 4.1?

10. FMPro v3.0v3 on Power Mac to FMPro 5 on MSW

11. Open FMPro 4.1 DB in FMPro 4.0

12. Now, there is www.fmpro.it for Italian Filemaker Developers

13. FMPro Developer Runtime cross platform?