Find based on highest repeating field value

Find based on highest repeating field value

Post by je » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:20:38

This has me stumped.

I am working with an existing DB for tracking software bugs. In it,
there is a repeating number field for the software version. This may
look something like 1,2,3,etc.

I have designed a "report" that generates stats for each day based on
several find requests. All the other stats work wonderfully, but the
one for bugs that are open but regressed does not.

The bugs I need found have 1) a status of "open"  2) include the
latest version number in the repeating number field (but NOT in the
first repetition).

The problem: the find will also turn up new bugs written that day,
i.e. the first repetition.

I need it to find the current version number NOT in the first
repetition. But it could be in one of up to ten repetitions.

Does this make any sense at all?  Please help if possible!

Forgive my jumbled explanation.

Find based on highest repeating field value

Post by Glenn Schwand » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:04:04

Quote:> This has me stumped.

> I am working with an existing DB for tracking software bugs. In it,
> there is a repeating number field for the software version. This may
> look something like 1,2,3,etc.

> I have designed a "report" that generates stats for each day based on
> several find requests. All the other stats work wonderfully, but the
> one for bugs that are open but regressed does not.

> The bugs I need found have 1) a status of "open"  2) include the
> latest version number in the repeating number field (but NOT in the
> first repetition).

> The problem: the find will also turn up new bugs written that day,
> i.e. the first repetition.

> I need it to find the current version number NOT in the first
> repetition. But it could be in one of up to ten repetitions.

> Does this make any sense at all?  Please help if possible!

> Forgive my jumbled explanation.

Please clarify that this is EXACTLY what you want and I can provide a
solution...

You want a field that will return the maximum value in a repeating number
field with the exception of the first repetition.  Then you want to perform
a find on that field.

Example:

Repeating Field
7
3
1
5
6
4
2

Your desired result:  6

If this isn't what you need, feel free to try again with your explanation.

Find based on highest repeating field value

Post by Pete » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 07:24:47

Hi Jep,

If I understand correctly you want to find all records that have the latest
version number in one of the repetitions, except those records where this
version number is in the first repetition.

If so, what you could do is do your find (on "open" and "version number")
and then script the following :

Go to Record/Request/Page [First]
Loop
  If["GetRepetition(VersionNumber;1)="your value""]
        Omit Record
  End if
  Go to Record/Request/Page [Exit after last,Next]
End Loop

Hope that helps,

Peter

Quote:> This has me stumped.

> I am working with an existing DB for tracking software bugs. In it,
> there is a repeating number field for the software version. This may
> look something like 1,2,3,etc.

> I have designed a "report" that generates stats for each day based on
> several find requests. All the other stats work wonderfully, but the
> one for bugs that are open but regressed does not.

> The bugs I need found have 1) a status of "open"  2) include the
> latest version number in the repeating number field (but NOT in the
> first repetition).

> The problem: the find will also turn up new bugs written that day,
> i.e. the first repetition.

> I need it to find the current version number NOT in the first
> repetition. But it could be in one of up to ten repetitions.

> Does this make any sense at all?  Please help if possible!

> Forgive my jumbled explanation.

Find based on highest repeating field value

Post by je » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:21:02

awesome. I love newsgroups.

Thanks folks.

jep