Background color behavior supported by FileMaker?

Background color behavior supported by FileMaker?

Post by Cris McConke » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 04:41:44

I am modifying the assets control template that came with FM5 for my
particular use.

On the list, I'd like the cell for item to have a red background whenever
overdue = "YES" .

Is it possible ito do this in FileMaker?

Thanks,

Cris

Post by Helpful Harr » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 05:58:32

> I am modifying the assets control template that came with FM5 for my
> particular use.

> On the list, I'd like the cell for item to have a red background whenever
> overdue = "YES" .

> Is it possible ito do this in FileMaker?

Yes - with the help of an extra couple of fields.

You need to create a extra calculated container field to put underneath
your transparent "cell".

eg.    CellBackground: calculated container field, unstored
                       If(Overdue = "YES", gRedBackground, "")

       where gRedBackground is a global container field into which
       you have pasted a red filled rectangle (in Browse mode).

If you're worried about filesize, then you can use a small (even one
pixel) red rectangle in the global field and set the CellBackground
field's graphic format to enlarge that to cover the whole "cell" area
needed.

Helpful Harry
"Just trying to help whenever I can."      :o)

Background color behavior supported by FileMaker?

Post by Joel Shapir » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 06:05:13

Hi Cris

You can do this with two new fields, a Global field and a Calculation field

1) Create a Global field "gColor", and have the Data Type be Container

2) Create a Calculation field "cOverdueRed" =
Case(OverdueField = "Yes", gColor)
Set the calculation result (lower left of specify calc box) as CONTAINER

3) Go into layout mode in your db, and bring in the field gColor

4) Using the rectangle field, create a small red rectangle (with no border)

5) Select this red rectangle, and Copy/Cut it

6) Go into Browse mode, click into the gColor field, and Paste

7) Go to the layout where you want to see the red background on Overdue's

8) In Layout mode, add the field cOverdueRed.

9) Select this field, and select Graphic... from the Format menu

10) Select 'Reduce or Enlarge' and uncheck 'maintain proportions'

11) Size this field to whatever size you want your red rectangle to be.  You
may want it to be a separate 'flag' instead of a background for the field.
If you want it as a background behind YES, make it the same size as your
Overdue field, and then place cOverdueRed behind ('Send Backward' in the
Arrange menu).

12) Make sure the Overdue field has no color itself if you place cOverdueRed
behind it.

That should be it.  You can remove the gColor field and the original red
rectangle from whatever layout you had placed them on.

Hope it helps

-Joel

> I am modifying the assets control template that came with FM5 for my
> particular use.

> On the list, I'd like the cell for item to have a red background whenever
> overdue = "YES" .

> Is it possible ito do this in FileMaker?

> Thanks,

> Cris

1. Change the edit Field background color in alternating portal colors

Hi,

In a portal when I choose the option "Alternate background with" I see in
browse mode a nice alternating color scheme. But when I put the cursor in
the first field of the last portal row the background is comming through the
fields. It gives an ugly color combination. Is there an alternative for this
fenomenom.

Marcel

2. errors in data transfer AS400-->MS Access

3. DBGrid background color

4. Q: Upload from Paradox to Sybase.. Very slow!!

5. disabled checkbox background color

6. 2 versions of MSDE on hard drive

7. Background color

8. Increase Traffic...Post Free Links

9. 3d panel background color changing in executable

10. change the background color?

11. DBGrid and Background Row Colors...

12. Change the background color of database application

13. change row background color, VB4, using DBGrid