standard fieldnames

Post by Rien » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:25:28

Hi all,

I have set up several databases now, but I'm always a little bit clumsy with
giving proper fieldnames. As the db is growing bigger and bigger, the
fieldnames are getting more and more strange.

As observing this ng I found everyone using "gFieldname" for globals.
Can anyone point me out to smart sites where i can find good ideas for
consistent fieldnames.

For instance you often have, what i call, an input-field, in which the user
inputs data and there's a resultfield where the input of the user is tested
(or calculated or whatever).
How to properly name those fields.

How do you setup your db? Any Ideas?

thanks

Rienk

standard fieldnames

Post by Le Nomade.Co » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:34:18

Hello
What I usually do is this:
calculation field: Calc_fieldname or C_fieldname
global field:  G_fieldname or Glob_fieldname

After you have to be more creative.
If you have a layout called: Hotel details
you can name your fields such as: H_D_fieldname
that way you know right away what the field is for.

But I don't know a good site to describe this.

--
E-STORY Storyboarding tool for multimedia company at :
http://storyboard.le-nomade.com

Membre / Member of: http://www.fmqc.ca
Buy a canoe / Acheter un cano? : http://canoe-canada.ca

standard fieldnames

Post by Brent Lewi » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:09:05

The usual FileMaker convention for global variables is to start each
field name with a lower case g.  However, I have found that awkward,
since it intersperses file variables and other specialty fields within
normal record fields.  In order to move those fields to the bottom of
the list and to group them according to function, I have found it useful
to start a variable with a lower case "zv," a calculated field with a
lower case "zc," etc.

Brent

> Hello
> What I usually do is this:
> calculation field: Calc_fieldname or C_fieldname
> global field:  G_fieldname or Glob_fieldname

> After you have to be more creative.
> If you have a layout called: Hotel details
> you can name your fields such as: H_D_fieldname
> that way you know right away what the field is for.

> But I don't know a good site to describe this.

>> Hi all,

>> I have set up several databases now, but I'm always a little bit
>> clumsy with
>> giving proper fieldnames. As the db is growing bigger and bigger, the
>> fieldnames are getting more and more strange.

>> As observing this ng I found everyone using "gFieldname" for globals.
>> Can anyone point me out to smart sites where i can find good ideas for
>> consistent fieldnames.

>> For instance you often have, what i call, an input-field, in which
>> the user
>> inputs data and there's a resultfield where the input of the user is
>> tested
>> (or calculated or whatever).
>> How to properly name those fields.

>> How do you setup your db? Any Ideas?

>> thanks

>> Rienk

standard fieldnames

Post by Howard Schlossber » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:44:09

Like Brent, I do not like using the 'g' for globals because I don't want
my variables mixed in with my other fields.  I used to start my global
names with an underscore, which sorts them to the bottom.  But then I
realized that there are no guarantees that underscores will always sort
to the bottom in any future versions, so I now use z_FieldName.

I also do not like starting my calcs with c_ or calc_ because I do NOT
want these segregated from my other fields.  Often, I may not know
whether a field I am looking for is a calc or a regular text field in
any particular table/file.  By listing all fields (except globals)
alphabetically, they are easy for me to find.  I do append an _c to the
end of the field name so that I know it is a calc and therefore not
modifiable.

There is a nice, structured guide of thoughtful naming conventions at
<http://www.coresolutions.ca>.  (The website seems to be down at the
moment so I can't get you the specific path.)  These were put together
by one of the partner-level members of the FileMaker Solutions Alliance.
  I personally do not follow many of the conventions in this guide for
the reasons stated above.

The real point of all this, is to be methodical and consistant.  Once
you come up with something that works for you, stick with it all the way
through the project.

> The usual FileMaker convention for global variables is to start each
> field name with a lower case g.  However, I have found that awkward,
> since it intersperses file variables and other specialty fields within
> normal record fields.  In order to move those fields to the bottom of
> the list and to group them according to function, I have found it useful
> to start a variable with a lower case "zv," a calculated field with a
> lower case "zc," etc.

> Brent

>> Hello
>> What I usually do is this:
>> calculation field: Calc_fieldname or C_fieldname
>> global field:  G_fieldname or Glob_fieldname

>> After you have to be more creative.
>> If you have a layout called: Hotel details
>> you can name your fields such as: H_D_fieldname
>> that way you know right away what the field is for.

>> But I don't know a good site to describe this.

>>> Hi all,

>>> I have set up several databases now, but I'm always a little bit
>>> clumsy with
>>> giving proper fieldnames. As the db is growing bigger and bigger, the
>>> fieldnames are getting more and more strange.

>>> As observing this ng I found everyone using "gFieldname" for globals.
>>> Can anyone point me out to smart sites where i can find good ideas for
>>> consistent fieldnames.

>>> For instance you often have, what i call, an input-field, in which
>>> the user
>>> inputs data and there's a resultfield where the input of the user is
>>> tested
>>> (or calculated or whatever).
>>> How to properly name those fields.

>>> How do you setup your db? Any Ideas?

>>> thanks

>>> Rienk

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California

standard fieldnames

Post by Rien » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:07:28

Thanks all,

I found it a bit confusing myself, those gFields. (especially for the
overview of all your fields. Since I'm obviously not the only one
struggeling with it I will find a way which works for me fine.
Especially during building I already group my fields by inserting empty
fields with the name(s) "----------" after the fields I'm using a lot at
that specific time.

Thanks again
Rienk.

> Like Brent, I do not like using the 'g' for globals because I don't want
> my variables mixed in with my other fields.  I used to start my global
> names with an underscore, which sorts them to the bottom.  But then I
> realized that there are no guarantees that underscores will always sort
> to the bottom in any future versions, so I now use z_FieldName.

> I also do not like starting my calcs with c_ or calc_ because I do NOT
> want these segregated from my other fields.  Often, I may not know
> whether a field I am looking for is a calc or a regular text field in
> any particular table/file.  By listing all fields (except globals)
> alphabetically, they are easy for me to find.  I do append an _c to the
> end of the field name so that I know it is a calc and therefore not
> modifiable.

> There is a nice, structured guide of thoughtful naming conventions at
> <http://www.coresolutions.ca>.  (The website seems to be down at the
> moment so I can't get you the specific path.)  These were put together
> by one of the partner-level members of the FileMaker Solutions Alliance.
>   I personally do not follow many of the conventions in this guide for
> the reasons stated above.

> The real point of all this, is to be methodical and consistant.  Once
> you come up with something that works for you, stick with it all the way
> through the project.

> > The usual FileMaker convention for global variables is to start each
> > field name with a lower case g.  However, I have found that awkward,
> > since it intersperses file variables and other specialty fields within
> > normal record fields.  In order to move those fields to the bottom of
> > the list and to group them according to function, I have found it useful
> > to start a variable with a lower case "zv," a calculated field with a
> > lower case "zc," etc.

> > Brent

> >> Hello
> >> What I usually do is this:
> >> calculation field: Calc_fieldname or C_fieldname
> >> global field:  G_fieldname or Glob_fieldname

> >> After you have to be more creative.
> >> If you have a layout called: Hotel details
> >> you can name your fields such as: H_D_fieldname
> >> that way you know right away what the field is for.

> >> But I don't know a good site to describe this.

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
> FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California
> Associate Member, FileMaker Solutions Alliance

1. Ingres 6.4 max(fieldname by fieldname)

Hi,

What does this mean

max(fieldname by fieldname)

in a where condition of a delete statement ?

We are having a old system written in Ingres6.4. It has lot of queries
using "by" inside the max. These queries are running perfectly. But I
could not understand what "by" is doing there.

When I tried the following, it is giving error:
select max(4 by 2)

Has any body used this "by" clause ?

Regards,
-Subbu

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Open DB2 DBA job, NYC

3. After rs.open FILENAME, I cannot rs.fieldname.append FIELDNAME

4. Copy all objects and data in SQL Server 7

5. access 2000 database. How can I make a field into an array or extent eg: fieldname(1) fieldname(2)

6. Best Relational Database for Windows ?????????????????????

7. grab the fieldname from a recordset?

8. In search of tool to list an application's object model.

9. variable output fieldname in stored procedure?

10. help with joins and fieldnames?

11. Using variable as FieldName to update tables.

12. Spaces in fieldnames.....problems upsizing from Access 97